Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

HookShot posted:

I used to have a 50-250 and then upgraded to the 70-200L f/4 without IS.

The difference in quality between my 50-250 and 70-200 is AMAZING. If you can pay the extra, do it. I haven't missed the IS so far, I mostly shoot birds and wildlife with the lens, and so it's usually daylight and bright enough that I can get well over 1/200 shutter speed.

70-300 owner reporting in. I sold my 55-250 to get it and I will tell you there is a noticeable upgrade in image quality. However...the 70-300 is practically unusable at 300 wide open. You must stop it down to f/8 to get shots that don't blur out. That said, the extra little bit of reach is nice as well as the fact that the lens WILL NOT vignette on any crop sensor body at ANY aperture/focal length setting. Note sure you can do better for ~$350. Call me a cheapskate*, but the price doubling between the 70-200 f/4L IS and non IS models and the TRIPLING between the 70-300L and non L are real dollars I could be using for something else. Like rent. And food.

*I do own a 24-105L as I cannot stand EF-S lenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Maybe getting rebodied for their "art" line? I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 50mm 1.4 is next up for this treatment. The CEO of Sigma has said himself that its his favorite lens.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
You can even use the 40mm 2.8 for birding

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xzzy posted:

Some shots with the lens here:

http://www.dcfever.com/lens/viewsamples.php?set=951&picture=10213

Site is slower than hell but it has full size jpegs.

Need a test shot to see that it retains f/5.6 @ 400mm and also for benchmarking against the current 100-400mm and 400mmL prime. Seems to vignette a good bit at 600 but that is to be expected. Really a great deal for the full frame guys since they shouldn't give a poo poo about high-iso anymore and the 300mm on 70-300mm zooms just isn't that long on FF. And for the crop guys, welp, enjoy your new sniper rifle.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Aside from the gripes about DR, Canon's high ISO is pretty nice considering how it favors the f/4 zooms. No need to splurge out on a 24-70 or 70-200 2.8 when the 24-105 or 70-200 f4 and an ISO bump does just fine for a good deal less money. Pros don't care of course.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pentax has announced a CMOS 645d mk2 (probably 50mp) and a new ultrawide zoom for it, plus a "35mm/medium format" film copier accessory.

Another Sony sensor?!?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The fact that the 70D has better AF than the 6D really makes me wonder whats going to happen to 6D resale values once Canon produces a 6D mark 2. Could they fall low enough to rival new Rebel prices? Only time will tell...

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Produces more diffuse bokeh than one might "expect" for a given focal length.

Massive aperture stuff is basically a remnant of the bad old days when film sensitivities were poo poo and image stabilization hadn't been invented yet. And you probably couldn't even use it wide open in bright daylight without an ND filter. Whats really maddening is that its literally taken 50+ loving years to even get a 50mm f/1.4 that is sharp wide open across the frame (Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50mm ART).

All gear is indeed poo poo. Thread title validated.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Bubbacub posted:

I chose to get a 300+1.4x/2x TC combo because I like the idea of having the option to drop down to a faster lens if necessary, but I'm still tempted by a 150-600 because it can be hard to acquire birds with a long prime.

Yeah I thought getting the 150-600 would obsolete my 70-200 f4 IS but nope. L glass gonna L I guess.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

KinkyJohn posted:

I just got home after buying a canon 135mm f2 at a reputable camera shop in the mall. Opened up the package to find a 100mm macro L. It was a 135mm box with the lens hood and all the stuff you usually get. So tomorrow I'm going back and hope to gently caress they don't give me a hard time in exchanging it for the proper lens. If I have any trouble I swear to god I will badmouth them all over the place

Some reputation. Only lens I've ever bought from a physical store is the Tamzooka 150-600 and they opened up the package and let me inspect it before purchase and everything.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Drunk Badger posted:

I'm looking for some sort of all-purpose lens (Tamron 16-300?) and a macro lens for a Canon camera, as well as a camera bag that will fit a Canon 7Dmk2, those two lenses, and if possible the Sigma 150-600. What do you people like? Budget for all of it is $2k, I could go higher if it's worth it.

Just stick with the EFS 18-135 STM for a general zoom. Its miles ahead of the first version and good enough unless you plan on going full frame.

Macro can be had on the cheap by putting extension tubes behind a 40mm pancake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just going to leave this here