Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Where can I get a color card like this one?

I did a photoshoot awhile back and the pro photographer there let me use his. I've tried looking for the same one but they all appear to be rather large and a pain to carry in a small camera bag.

Edit: On a sidenote, I bought the D7k a couple weeks back and hoooooly poo poo :gizz:
I knew I was getting an upgrade from the D70, but this body blows it away. I had the opportunity to really use it when I went to Disney World on Saturday and I was able to take some shots with ease that I would normally have had to work at getting right with the D70.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks guys, I'll look into the colorchecker passport. How long should I expect it to last me? I ask as I use grey cards for exposure and tend to need to replace them every year or so.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

My dad lent me a large sum of cash that I'm returning to him and he told me to buy myself a telephoto lens with some of it :dance:

Currently I shoot primarily with a Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 lens that works great but I frequently find myself desiring a telephoto when shooting nature or candid stuff.

Should also mention I have a D7000. Can anyone recommend a telephoto <1k? I'd rather not spend all his money :)

I also need to get a couple filters such as a ND, is there a goon favorite?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

For range I guess I was thinking about 200-300, staying at 2.8 isn't critical but would be convenient. A friend of mine has a 300 range lens that I may borrow to decide which I want.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

The push pull zoom is really awkward for me (borrowed from a pro awhile ago). I guess I'll hunt around for the 80-200mm f/2.8 (I'll try to get the AF-S) and 300 f/4 prime for now.

Edit: I'm looking around and need to figure out model numbers. This one is AF-D, correct? "Nikon AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED"

Searching shows the AF-S is denoted by IF-ED at the end.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 6, 2012

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I'm starting to feel the feature creep so feel free to advise I step back and review the offering. I don't do wildlife that often but I prefer to have the room to breath when shooting.

I guess my budget is ~1k but I'd prefer to stay below rather then over 1k. I tried looking for a used AF-S but I couldn't find one under 1k, it also looks like it's about $500 more then the AF-D, so perhaps I should just settle for the AF-D instead. I would absolutely love to have the 300 f/4 but it doesn't look to be in the budget at the moment unless I get lucky and find a used one with a clear lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

After a lot of hunting I managed to find a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 lens for a sweet deal :D
I'm going to need a new camera bag to carry it though :/

Edit: The guy I got the lens from will sell me this pack for $80, worth it?

Ashex fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 13, 2012