Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kazy posted:

Battery grips are the #1 things that make your camera feel "pro" :v:

God if this isn't the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Every lens should have a hood. Wish all manufacturers (looking at you, Canon and Olympus) included the hood instead of charging rear end-raping prices for them separately. You would think they have an interest in ensuring the buyer gets the best possible pictures out of the thing, so why skimp on a dollar's worth of plastic that actually helps image quality? Fuckers.

Unless I'm mis-reading you, Olympus does include hoods with their lenses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Not m4/3 that I have seen. E.g. 45/1.8, 12/2, 75/1.8 etc.

Aah.

I'm the last standing 4/3 owner and we I do at least get hoods with our my lenses. :shobon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Some fucker on RangefinderForums supposedly bought a dressed full of Leica Ms and Leica lenses for $50. I have to call the most immense bullshit on his story, but I guess the kernel of truth in the whole thing is that there are people out there with "old film cameras" that don't know what they're worth and will probably give you a great deal on their dead husband's old film leicas because their grandson just bought them a new panasonic something-or-other point and shoot.

These people are almost universally old and don't really care about photography to begin with.

I would love to say that I would be a moral person and tell someone that their camera is worth a thousand dollars instead of fifty, but I'm forced to conclude that if someone offered me a Leica M3 for $50 I would be in and out of there so fast you'd see a dust cloud. I don't really feel very upstanding for admitting this, but ...

That's how I got my OM-1 with 50mm f/1.4 for like $45 :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I've got a 75-300mm lens I use for taking pictures of animals from my porch. What should I look for if I want my camera to magnify more? Right now getting a picture of a finch on a telephone wire gives me a good picture in one ninth of the actual area of the photo. Do I just want more mm's on the lens? Please give the answer to me as if I know less than nothing about anything.

The cheapest way to extend the reach of any lens is a teleconverter. Most increase your focal length by a factor of 1.4x, at the cost of a darker aperture, slower focus, and a slight degrade in image quality, but they're far less expensive than longer reach lenses themselves. Some are 2x but these usually are useless outside of very bright light.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Is there any real reason to use RAW+L?

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd use that.

I could understand it in some sports shooting. Get shots that need to go to print quickly in JPG, and others in RAW that you can clean up for later use.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I would probably suggest something maybe like the Olympus E-5. It's high ISO work isn't anything to brag about but it certainly won't ruin any photos unless you're shooting an unlit subject in the dead of night or something.

I want to savor the gently caress out of this post. :frogbon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Claw Massage posted:

Assuming its that, I would need a T mount to get it to work on a t2i?
I might give the guy a call to come look at it. Maybe I'm just too new to dslr's, but the prospect of a 500mm lens for 35 bucks sounded pretty cool.

Yeah, if you want it as something to gently caress around with, go to town. I've made much worse decisions with $35.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone have the Olympus OM 28mm f/2.8? I'm going overseas in 2 weeks and a wider lens for my OM1 would be nice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I have the 28/3.5 and it is quite nice; I gather the 28/2.8 is even better though not by much.

Have you considered the 24/2.8? I paid 120 bucks for mine and it is wonderful.

i saw that later on but for fairly expensive (something like $160 was all i saw) and I came across a 28mm f/2.8 for $90 and had a hard time turning that down. I do appreciate the thought though :shobon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ashex posted:

After a lot of hunting I managed to find a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 lens for a sweet deal :D
I'm going to need a new camera bag to carry it though :/

I have a Retrospective 20 and it fits my huge-rear end 35-100mm f/2.0 with pro body and grip attached.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress :siren:

In my excitement to pack my bags for a 2 week Scotland/Belfast/Dublin trip, I'm at the airport and have realized I forgot a battery charger :saddowns: I have 2 full batteries in a grip and I'm not sure if I can make those last for the whole time. Is my best course of action to look up a store in the UK (the first leg of the trip is a week in the Scottish Highlands) and have it shipped to our hotel?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

What camera do you have?

Olympus E-5. I have 2 of the BLM-1 batteries.

E: I have a good P&S and a lot of film with my OM-1 so if worse comes to worst, it's not a total loss.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

When you get to Heathrow, go to Dixons (they are airside in all the terminals).

See if they sell this:

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/kodak-essential-universal-battery-charger-13828471-pdt.html

http://www.dixonstravel.com/stores/heathrow.aspx

Failing that, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

We're flying into Edinburgh :shobon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Goddamn you guys are loving awesome. I'll see if I can find that place in Edinburgh airport, if not I'll probably have to go the Amazon route. I'll be staying about 4 hours away from Edinburgh and I would imagine hotel staff can help as well.

Spog, that would work perfectly, thanks. I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm at Newark Airport right now on a layover then over the pond.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And here we are finally in Dornoch. I'm going to do some asking around about local places but the Amazon route may be ultimately cheaper.

If nothing else, I'll burn up the batteries and take a shitload of shots with the OM-1 :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

It looks an interesting place.

Amazon will definitely be cheaper - plus you'll spend less time trying to explain modern technology like DSLRs (and electricity) to the locals.

Yeah probably the easiest route. I really appreciate the advice. :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy gently caress.

Last night I asked a concierge here if they knew of any local or nearby stores that might have something. "Well there are a couple places in Inverness... One of our shuttle drivers is going there tomorrow, he can ask them if you like. Can we have one of your batteries to make sure he could find one that fits?"

"Sure." I give them one of my two batteries, but figure at best there might be some iffy 'universal' one, or at worst, nothing doing. Still, can't hurt.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I got back from playing golf with some friends on this trip, and she waved me over. "I think we've got it, plus we tossed in a little extra for you."

She presents me with a factory Olympus BLM-1 charger with UK plug, along with an extra BLM-1 battery. Holy poo poo this owns so much

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, honestly I wouldn't have expected this to any stretch. We're staying in a pretty unique that is to say, loving incredible place.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's Skibo Castle just outside of Dornoch.

Paragon8 posted:

That's just a Scottish starbucks, wait until he starts posting some pictures of the castles.

hahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

For a novice photographer who isn't wanting to get into photography so much as use it to enable studying wildlife would you guys suggest just a P&S or some sort of SLR? Keep in mind in this case durability/ruggedness/water resistance is a huge plus because the stuff that's going to be studied will frequently be found in the middle of swamps and bogs. Also the budget is extremely limited of course. So it'd be cool to have suggestions of what to save up towards as well as an entry-level that I might be able to get quickly.

There are some solid waterproof Fuji cameras that run around $125-150 if you need to get up and rolling with something basic. Outside of that, the Olympus Tough series are very rugged. Earlier models (lens in corner of camera) don't have the best lenses but they work fine and should be about $150-200. The drat things actually "close" by covering the lens area with a small metal sheet. The newer Tough TG-1 has a great f/2.0 lens on the wide end and is built like a tank. Runs $350 new. I absolutely love mine.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 29, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

So something more like 15mm would work well for wide angle on APS-C? Thanks for the advice!

Also I found out these FD lenses are fantastic macro lenses when held up in front of my T2i body.

Yeah, I wouldn't do any closer than 17mm. Below that, your view will get almost exponentially wider for every millimeter of focal length that you drop. While changing focal length from 30 to 35mm might not look like much, going from 15mm down to 10mm is a dramatic difference.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you want to experiment with different focal lengths, there are a number of good lens rental companies out there where you can get different things for a few days to see what you like. Travel zooms that cover huge ranges (like that 18-135) are often low-to-mediocre quality, and usually very rough on the long end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I'm looking to grab a good all in one bag for going out on single man shoots (aka when I'm just out in the woods loving around).

I'm looking at stuff like the Lowepro Fastpack 350 AW

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-350-DSLR-Video-Fastpack/dp/B005MYAHJ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348198329&sr=8-2&keywords=lowepro+dslr+fastpack

Anybody had any experience with that line or something similar?

For my hikes and such I prefer the Slingshot 202AW. It only has one strap, but it seems a ton more padded (and wider) than the Fastpack's straps.

A lot of Lowepro's stuff is available at Best Buy so it's worth it to swing by one and see how some of your stuff might fit. The 300 series of the Fastpack and Slingshot are huge bags.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BonoMan posted:

That's disconcerting because it clearly suggests it can take a regular sized laptop.

Ah. Excellent. I didn't know that, but I'll stop by this weekend. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, you can probably do much better for the price in other places (especially amazon), but it's nice to go in and see how some of your stuff will fit. The staff at the local BBs here have always been fine with me bringing some stuff to test them out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, Lexar and Sandisk are probably the two best bets.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

if your camera can use SD cards just get a bunch of those. Even the 32 gig cards are super affordable

Seriously. I found a 64GB Sandisk class 10 in Best Buy of all places for like $45.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Disharmony posted:

I have a Blackrapid RS-5 and plan on walking around Korea with just that and my Nikon D7000 + 50mm. Will the front bumper suffice in keeping the thing stabilized behind me or is the Brad a must have?

Should be fine if you're just walking normally.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I think DJExile was pretty much propping up Olympus' SLR division on his own, so yeah.

Their mirrorless bodies own and there's a mirrorless thread I guess!

yeah, pretty much :sigh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crosspostin' the awesome $50 body cap lens my sister got me for christmas

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Used OM-Ds are already going for less than half price?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, there are much less expensive m4/3 bodies out there (and they're still drat good, to be sure) but a new OM-D body alone runs around $1000.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you want to shoot around the 14-25mm range, you should be able to find some good primes in that range that would have much better apertures.

E: Then again maybe my mind is on some of the mirrorless system lenses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I love the tilt and swivel screens on my E-5 and G12. They aren't needed often but drat they're a huge help when you do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RE: battery chargers: Anything to avoid with buying a couple of those cheap $5-10 ones from Amazon? My OM-D charger miiiiiight be back in the Caribbean and I really don't feel like contacting the place and paying what will probably be $50+ to ship it home.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Don't ever order from Pixmania. I've just received a new Sigma prime from them (cheapest price), that was packaged in a larger than shoebox cardboard box, without any padding at all. While the lens itself is in that padded quiver as all their stuff, I don't want to know how much airtime it had.

Dang, all functional? :ohdear:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Going to some live buy/sell event KEH is holding at a camera store in Columbus today. Reports to follow.

Also Lamar Odom loving rules.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ultrabay2000 posted:

I'm buying a D7000 off KEH. Is it is worth the $30 difference between EX and LN-? My inclination says no, given KEH's reputaiton and the fact that I am currently using a D200 which is missing the main grip, but I would like input none the less.

I'd really doubt it. Difference might be a slight scratch somewhere on the body but that'd be it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ultrabay2000 posted:

I'd rather there not be a noticeable mark on the screen but other than that I don't really care.

I should have clarified, it wouldn't be on the screen. It'd be like a small scratch on the body or something that wouldn't affect any function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Probably better asking here since like 6 of us read the sports thread :v:

Anyone use the ThinkTank Steroid belt and some of their holsters/pouches? I'm getting a set of stuff along with the shoulder straps for some sports and weddings and was curious how any of you liked them.