Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Also would like to throw in a vote for thread title: Camera Gear v8 (is really v12.8 on crop)
I second this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

signalnoise posted:

Is there a "I'm a complete loving newbie" thread I missed?
There's this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387357.

It sounds like you want something that can do aperture priority and shutter priority. It also should have interchangeable lenses. That means you want a dslr or a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (Sony NEX or micro 4/3 style). If size is an issue, perhaps mirrorless would be better for you.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
General consensus is that it isn't worth the additional money for the VC.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

_adam posted:

Recommendations for a general purpose Canon Mount walkaround lens? I have my eye on the Sigma 17-50 2.8, or Sigma 17-70 2.8-4. I'm trying to decide if the extra speed of the 17-50 will be worth the extra money and sacrifice of the extra 20mm... I can get a used 17-70 for $300, or a demo model 17-50 for $460.

I mostly do automotive photography but all I have for a lens now is a 50mm 1.8 and it's very restrictive. I'd like to get something more "general purpose" that I could use, again, as a walkaround, and maybe some street photography, etc.
That 17-70 has a pretty close minimum focus distance allowing you to get 1:2.7 magnification vs 1:5 with the 17-50. If you're interested in doing a little macro, the 17-70 might be a better choice.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Welcome to photography.

Many people struggle with this question. The key is to not let it become an excuse for not shooting more. Everyone will have a different opinion and budget. I personally use 4 primes: 20/35/50/135 on full frame and find it sufficient for what I enjoy shooting. Some people swear by the f/2.8 zooms: 16-35, 24-70, 70-200.

Just starting out, typically the best bang for your buck is a 17-50 (or 18-55) and 70-200/300. Use those for a while and see what you actually like shooting with. If you don't want to get an ES-S mount 17-50, there's the Sigma 24-70 out there which is cheaper than the Canon offerings and covers full frame sensors. The super zooms are typically frowned upon due to their complete suckiness in everything except for zoom range and sometimes price.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Gotta buy the name brand tubes if you want the best picture quality. Canon air is better than Kenko air.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Platystemon posted:

Untrue. Think of it the other way around: if full‐frame sensors have the same pixels density as crop sensors, they’re superior in every way: crop for the extra “reach” or don’t for the extra megapickles/stop‐and‐a‐third of noise.

That stop+ of noise will always be there, because you’re enlarging less for the same print size.
He did qualify it by saying

spog posted:

only true when compared to CF sensors of the same generation
I think the argument was that eventually that extra stop of noise will not be that great of a benefit when ISO 200,000+ is acceptable. I do agree with you, though that when comparing FF to CF of the current generation sensor, FF will always be better. It might not be worth the premium they're charging though.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You've got it backwards. New CF = old FF. Of course 6D > 550D.

e: compare a 5D to a 700D.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Why do you say that? The only reason I can see is the maximum aperture (and we're talking double the price here). FF lenses on crop sensors benefit from using the center of the image projection, everyone knows that. FF lenses on FF sensors are the same as EF-S lenses on crop sensors.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
That assumes the same pixel density on the crop and full frame sensors. Typically, FF and CF sensors of the same generation do not have the same pixel density. Usually the CF is higher.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think that was a very good summary, thanks for clearing it up.

No mod sass intended but this is the gear thread... I think sometimes we need a place to sperg out to get it out of our systems so FM lite doesn't spill over into our other wonder threads about actually taking pictures. Those are the treads that make this the best photo forum on the internet.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
That's a pretty terrible article but I had one of those 18-270s for a while and it honestly wasn't as bad as you might think for such an incredible focal length range. Yeah you'll never use it at 270mm in doors because lol f/6.3 but it was similar to the kit lens in build quality and IQ.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

SoundMonkey posted:

As a fun aside I actually received a request from someone to gas this thread, so I guess lens noises make some people really angry for some reason :v:
It seems like a lot of people who don't like to talk about gear come in here and get upset when people want to talk about gear.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Sigma 35/1.4 or 50/1.4?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

HPL posted:

For the record, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a great lens and I used mine extensively for shooting concerts until I switched to mirrorless.
Probably wouldn't be the best recommendation for his 5d3 unless he really likes vignetting.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Execudork is racist. No blacks

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm looking for a nice leather hand strap for my 7D. Has anyone used the Handy Dandy Hand Strap by Photojojo?

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/camera-hand-strap/
That looks stiff and uncomfortable. I was perfectly happy with a $9 Opteka strap off amazon with my 5d2.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There aren't any L lenses for crop bodies FYI. The widest non-fisheye L is the 14mm f/2.8 I believe.

The UWA options are the Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20 (two versions of this), Tokina 11-16, and Sigma 8-16. I had the older Sigma 10-20 (I think it was f/4 vs f/3.5 for the new one) and it was pretty alright. A lot of people (Haggins and others) love the Sigma 8-16 for the mega ultra wideness.

e: oh look there's one in the gear thread if you're interested in buying.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Most people will tell you to just suck it up and crop. For what its worth, I had a Tamron 17-270 for a while and found it to be about on par with the kit lens and 55-250. Although it's really slow on the long end and not 2.8 on the wide end. Incredible range though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I carry a tripod onto flights all the time. Shouldn't be an issue.