Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hey gear thread - I am looking for organization to protect what I have going on. I just upgraded my body to the R8 from a 5D MkII. I have just one lens so far (adapted 24-70L) but have a future plan for a 70-200 F4 RF. I would like to take my laptop along in the same bag (16" M3 MacBook Pro). This would generally be used for short range hiking (not a full day/a few hours at best) and bringing along with camping trips. I would like to be able to pack along my DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro along on those outings.

I am wondering if a Shimoda is the answer? My friend has the Shimoda Explore V2 30 and I know the laptop pouch will fit my computer. I just wonder if I want a tiny bit more space. I am looking at the 35 but still not sure. I have been a stupid baby over the price but realize it is a stupid thing to faff over a ~$200 price delta compared to a Lowepro or something when I am talking about housing stuff that is relatively much higher valued.

Is there something else in this range to consider? Do these things ever go on sale?

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hey gear thread - I am looking for organization to protect what I have going on. I just upgraded my body to the R8 from a 5D MkII. I have just one lens so far (adapted 24-70L) but have a future plan for a 70-200 F4 RF. I would like to take my laptop along in the same bag (16" M3 MacBook Pro). This would generally be used for short range hiking (not a full day/a few hours at best) and bringing along with camping trips. I would like to be able to pack along my DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro along on those outings.

I am wondering if a Shimoda is the answer? My friend has the Shimoda Explore V2 30 and I know the laptop pouch will fit my computer. I just wonder if I want a tiny bit more space. I am looking at the 35 but still not sure. I have been a stupid baby over the price but realize it is a stupid thing to faff over a ~$200 price delta compared to a Lowepro or something when I am talking about housing stuff that is relatively much higher valued.

Is there something else in this range to consider? Do these things ever go on sale?

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Summit Creative has 40l/30l bags called Tenzing, but I really know very little about it besides the photos.

Coming back to revisit this. On local classifieds I had shotgunned a bunch of different camera backpacks on my "favorites" list and one was a Summit Creatives 30L Tenzig. The dude dropped the price down to $200 so I took that for an answer and immediately went and bought it. I have a lot of work to do on the internal core but there is plenty of space for my body with lens attached (currently 24-70) and the eventual 70-200 I hope to own along with my Mini 3 Pro/controller and misc stuff. The top is nice and roomy enough to hold snacks/water and has a roll top for added space. The front pouch barely holds my Macbook and doesn't have a lot of protection, but the laptop will only go in there for travel and when I take it to work with me.

Overall I like it but it is overwhelming with how modular it can be used (just like the Shimoda). At $200 I definitely feel like it was a good deal.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Would actually love a longer write-up on it once you've gotten to know it a bit better. Always looking for more bags.

I will do it! I just need to get a bit more use time and real life time with it before I give too much detail. So far...considering I paid $200 I am very pleased.

Cat Wings posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but the other "newbie" threads all seemed to be dead and archived. I'm looking at getting a camera, either DSLR or mirrorless, mostly for doing some street and nature photography, but once I have some more experience I want to try doing some macro and astrophotography as well.

I'd like to get it for under 1000 if possible, and was leaning mirrorless since apparently DSLR is kind of a dead end now and lenses and accessories will be harder to find, which is a shame because I really like the whole viewfinder thing. Anyone have any tips for a good camera to look for, or the right thread to ask in?

I am not a professional. I am not even an amateur. I wandered into the land of "real" cameras when I started having kids and wanted to record with something better than a phone. I was initially told that I should check out used gear. I promptly ignored that advice and bought new; but a crop sensor DSLR. I made friends with some that were much better photographers and saw the kind of stuff they could produce and realized that my crop sensor and glass was holding me back a bit. So I re-evaluated and bought a full frame Canon 5D mkii and a 24-70 F4L lens - both used for about $1000 all in. The body had a low shutter count and was in great shape. The lens was immaculate.

That is the direction I should have chosen from the beginning. Go buy a used professional body camera. This is more referencing a "full frame" camera. I chose the Canon camp, and nearly 10 years later after my T5i rebel purchase I am glad I did. I like the interface. If all of that seems scary to commit to do a couple of things:

Find a place you can rent a camera and lens from. ~$100 for a weekend of experimenting could be worth the effort before dropping a thousand bucks on who knows what.
seriously - just buy used pro gear. It is usually kept in better shape; it holds value better and produces extremely good results. I have my old body listed on my local classifieds for $400. That is a LOT of camera for that few dollars.

If I was to be picking a camera brand today it would be between Canon and Sony, with Canon likely being my choice again. I have recently (~3 months ago) upgraded my camera body to a mirrorless. It is fantastic. I am able to do better stuff with it so far but what I learned from my 5D mkii has forced me to be "better" and try harder than I probably would have with something like a brand new mirrorless starting today. I am still using my EF 24-70 lens, with adapter. I will expand my lens range but will be using RF going forward.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

huhu posted:

Currently looking to get a bag to lug all my camera gear on flights/busses.

The current two I'm looking at are:
https://www.nomatic.com/products/mckinnon-camera-backpack-25l?variant=39461865717832
https://brevite.co/products/the-brevite-backpack?variant=34952238891162&=undefined

Curious if there are any other bags in roughly the realm/size/features. of these two that I should be looking at.

I would say the Shimoda Explore V2, Summit Creative Tenzing (I personally just got this bag, still wanting some real world use before I report back here), and Holdland backpack are among my top picks when I was looking for a bag. Ended up with the Summit Creative on local marketplace - basically new for $200. Too good of a deal to pass up; otherwise the 35L Shimoda was what I was going to get.