Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, the charger is not going to pull any 15 amps from your 120v outlet. I just grabbed my 7d charger and it uses 0.21 amps at 120v. But yeah, even that is about 5x what USB can supply.
That's the input, the output (for the charger I grabbed) is 8.4v @ .55 amps which is 4.6W, less than twice the standard for usb (2.5W). The number for usb is just a standard though, there are already devices which draw more than allowed, either by pulling current though two slots or using a slot that can provide more than 2.5W. Even if you don't draw the full amount you could still charge a battery, it would just take longer. The main issue that there probably isn't an off the shelf solution that will charge your battery off a 5v source, but if you know what you're doing you could probably build one for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

low-key-taco posted:

How would that 85mm 1.8 work for outdoor photography and pretty flower pictures? I know a 3 feet minimum focus would be problematic but the extra zoom would be nice in a lot of circumstances.
The minimum focus distance of slightly less than 3 feet isn't that big a deal; an 85mm on a crop body at 3 feet has a field of view of 6" by 9", which is about the size of a half sheet of paper. It's no macro lens, but plenty close enough for flowers and small objects. I've also got one for sale in the sale thread.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
72mm is generally the largest size you'll need in my experience and is probably the best. Supposedly a few lenses take an 82mm, and some really old cameras can have funky requirements, but I wouldn't worry about them.

Edit: Google brought up this handy chart of Canon lens filter sizes. There seem to be quite a few that use 77mm filters.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 29, 2012

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Mola Yam posted:

Hi camera goons. Here's my dad's old Minolta SRT101 from the 70s, and a few lenses and stuff. I don't know jack squat about cameras n' poo poo. Is it worth trying to sell this stuff or do I just donate it to a charity shop? Fake edit: or do I just throw it in the trash, I mean that's an option too.

You should start shooting with it, it's a great camera and the stock 50mm 1.7 is a great lens. That said, they are a dime a dozen, and even with that case and extras you would probably only get $60.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

kahm posted:

I'm just wondering how poor the optics actually are.

Good thing there's a guy who tests tons of lenses and offers a side by side test of them. The VC isn't horrific, but it's very noticeably worse.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Memo holders are all garbage; your memo is going to fall out of it. Just write on a piece of tape or use your phone.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
- Digital cameras have been good enough for long enough that you can go pretty far back and still get an amazing camera. I'm using an 8 year old camera and it's still fine. The general way to pick a first camera is to decide on the budget, then narrow down the field based on needed features, such as video or burst fps. Brand is just user preference; go to a store to hold some in your hands and see what feels best.
- Auto-focus speed is dependent (mostly) on the lens, though later cameras have more advanced auto-focus with more auto-focus points.
- I still think EVFs are weird, but they've become pretty good.
- If you want something with the feel of a spotomatic you'll want to look at mirror-less cameras, probably all of which have adapters to accept M42 lenses.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Helen Highwater posted:

I wrote a bunch of words about using my Loupedeck.

Tl;dr, I like it but it's not without flaws.
The link to your unboxing photo is broken. Also, disabling right-click is obnoxious and pointless.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Mister Speaker posted:

Might have asked this ITT already but is th re a reason that catadioptric (mirror, or reflex) lenses aren't really a thing anymore? I've got a hankering for some longer-range shots and they're really inexpensive.
Mirror lenses are missing the middle of the lens causing donut bokeh, which causes the background to look pretty gross.

President Beep posted:

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this. Anyone recommend a good tripod?
I bought a 3'x4' process camera bellows for $20 a million years ago. Some day I'll get around to build a camera with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

MJP posted:

How bad is the noise if I'm at 3200 ISO trying to get a pan shot of a car at night? My T3 experience has left me very, very gun-shy about anything that has risks of noise.
The T3 was the budget, stripped-down version of the 450D/XSi, which came out in 2008. ISO3200 shouldn't be a problem for any camera made within the last decade.