Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

FormerFatty posted:

Another question, were old East German Zeiss (Jena) M42 lenses ever any good? They seem to fetch a decent price on Ebay, similar to Japanese M42 lenses of the same era. I had been under the impression that the Soviet Bloc never built anything of quality besides weapons.

Yes, many CZJ lenses were very good. The reason that CZJ stuff is better than the rest of the Soviet stuff is that Zeiss-Jena was literally a german Zeiss facility that the soviets took after the war, along with the people who ran it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I don't know where the best place to post this would be, but I am looking for old crappy digital point and shoots that you might have forgotten you own. I want to collect quite a few of them to possibly give to people in a workshop type environment, among other things. So, I'm looking for first/second generation digicams, the sort of thing that advertises the fact that it's a WHOLE MEGAPIXEL, and that you might be willing to part with for the cost of shipping or a minimal price.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

thevoiceofdog posted:

I actually may have one for you, I remember getting a really, really old digital camera from my advisor before finishing college. Give me a day or two to search through all the old poo poo I have, I'll send you a PM if I find it.

Also I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive intervalometer for my Nikon d7000, are there any decent options in the $50 price range? I don't really need wireless or anything like that, but I haven't really used too many of them so I'm kinda unfamiliar with all the terminology. All I really need is the ability to control my shutter speed longer than 30sec.

I don't have plat, so no PMs, but you can email me: barrelbreak@gmail.com

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Martytoof posted:

Are you looking for things that take standard AAs? I have an old Canon G1 that works on AC but the battery has long since given up the ghost. Unfortunately it's a custom style battery so you can't just pop in AAs.

Things that either have chargers/hold their charge, or use a standard battery would be preferred, since really old custom batteries are hard to track down. :-/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, thanks, but they have to be usable. The idea I'm floating right now is a basics workshop, and I want to have people use these basic crappy cameras so they absolutely have to focus on composition and content.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You can get WLFs for the original Nikon F, but they aren't very common. http://www.cameraquest.com/nfinder.htm

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

tijag posted:

Generally speaking, would the F100 + 50mm f/1.8D take worse pictures than a Leica?

In no way.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It's the same mediocre sensor as the D100 fyi.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, the advance lever definitely makes me want one. Also, people seem to think it has better color rendition than the D100, but that shouldn't matter in RAW, right? Might be the different lens selection.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Ethanfr0me posted:

My friend has a Canon 5D Mark i he might sell. Is this camera still useful compared to anything made today, and would it be worth around $400 if he took my offer?

It's worth more than $400 and it still a very good camera. Notable downsides compared to newer generations: slower autofocus, no video, iso maxes out at 1600, and that's about it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-samurai posted:

I drive a convertible. :radcat:

That's paper.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just switched back to my $15 ebay lens adapter that wiggles a bit because my $80 fotodiox pro has stopped locking.
I should look into finally buying a canon lens for my canon camera. :anime:

e: 40mm f/2.8 STM on the way.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 22, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Update: I love the 40, even after only a midday sun 'does it work' outing.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
What's the best monitor I can get for photo editing under $300? Closer to $200 the better.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Cool, I have heard the dell ips monitors are the way to go, but didn't know which ones.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Skip the kit lens and get the 50, it's a solid lens and if a little tight for a walkaround lens on a crop body, better quality than the kit.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

smallmouth posted:

I own the 24" of that monitor and enjoy it. It's also 16:10, which is cool. Not sure what the difference between M and HM are.

I ended up going with a used copy of that monitor actually, for them extra pixels.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

HPL posted:

An Olympus Stylus Epic loaded with HP5 pushed to 3200 makes for a great stealth concert camera.

Second (except Tri-X because I live in AMERICA).

Guided by Voices at the Crystal Ballroom, best concert I've been to.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

fivre posted:

I just got a film camera and mostly shoot concerts. Is there a reason to not use the Delta 3200 other than it being much less useful in daytime?

HP5/Tri-X is cheaper and more versatile and will shoot at 3200 just as well.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
An ssd for photoshop scratch is a must.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

The more I mull it over, the more I wonder if I really need a monitor that displays all of the AdobeRGB gamut. There are so many variables between my monitor and the print being viewed anyway, there will always need to be test prints. I've been editing on a ACD that just barely pulls off sRGB for years now. Also, the monitor on which I may have to make tiny color adjustments is at the print shop anyway.

Anyone know about LED backlights screwing with color calibration hardware?

LED backlighting is incompatible with most older color units. I found this out with my spyder 2. :eng99:
e: I think all new ones work with led though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I don't do a lot of printing, no, and I haven't gotten anything to replace the spyder yet. I doubt a wide-gamut is going to do much for you though.