Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Recommendation please:
What you are looking to buy: New camera to use while hiking/traveling to capture panoramic, long exposure, landscapey shots. I know very little about photography, I just really like those types of pictures and I want to learn to make them myself.
Budget: After 300US it starts to get iffy
Your photo gear you already have: Casio Exilim EX-Z77
What you plan on using your purchase for: Learning, traveling, hiking, and taking Landscape/Cityscape/Skyscape environmental shots
What you find limiting about what you have now: It is incredibly old and requires a proprietary cable, no image stabilization or anything friendly about it other than a "Best Shot" newbie mode I used to love before I wanted to know anything about photography.

Does a Canon S100 do this well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I recently bought a Canon ELPH 300 because I didn't feel like dropping 300+ for something without more knowledge of it. It is currently my only camera. I like how fast it goes from off to ready, but I'm finding some problems already.

I don't like not being able to set my shutter speed and I don't like not having manual focus. I'm also borrowing my brother's Nikon D3100 at the moment and I really like turning the lens. I dunno it's just a really cool feeling using that instead of pushing a button. I like turning knobs. I don't like the size of it.

Before I make some big purchase, what are some things I should be looking for to evaluate my current camera more? My favorite photos are vivid landscapes, and that's what I want to shoot when I invest in something more than a pocket camera, but I'm still just learning. Right now I know all I can do for landscapes is set ISO to 100, focus to infinite, and click. There's gotta be more to it on the technical side than that.

Eventually, for my next camera, the budget I have in mind is around 500 dollars for a low end slr or x10 or something like that. My feeling right now is I want everything to be as manual as possible while staying digital. What should I be paying attention to on my current camera to better inform my next purchase? I mean, I see a bunch of "what to look for in your first DSLR" and "what to look for in a mirrorless" but nothing to really inform me as to what type of camera would suit me to begin with.

edit:

Is there a "I'm a complete loving newbie" thread I missed?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 29, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

edit: answered in OP

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So what about the digital Leicas?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've got a 75-300mm lens I use for taking pictures of animals from my porch. What should I look for if I want my camera to magnify more? Right now getting a picture of a finch on a telephone wire gives me a good picture in one ninth of the actual area of the photo. Do I just want more mm's on the lens? Please give the answer to me as if I know less than nothing about anything.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

DJExile posted:

The cheapest way to extend the reach of any lens is a teleconverter. Most increase your focal length by a factor of 1.4x, at the cost of a darker aperture, slower focus, and a slight degrade in image quality, but they're far less expensive than longer reach lenses themselves. Some are 2x but these usually are useless outside of very bright light.

nielsm posted:

Most likely a TC is a bad idea for a zoom like that. I'm guessing it's a variable aperture zoom and that the aperture at 300mm is f/5.6, meaning that an 1.4x TC would make it aperture f/8 at 420mm. It's not a terrible lot of gain, and autofocus probably won't work well at f/8.
I use manual focus lenses for this anyway, I'm being really cheap at the moment with like 40 dollar off-brand lenses. I'm shooting handheld bracing against whatever is nearby. Would I be better off just buying a tripod and better lenses and cropping the image? I'm using an E-P2 for reference, 12mp.

I'm seeing a very cheap vivitar OM mount teleconverters I could use, I only wonder would it severely degrade the quality of the images I get just from being cheap?

I'm really just unsure what to throw my money at at this point. I'd say tripod to stabilize, but most of what I have been shooting has been mobile. I plan to buy a tripod before I go on any trips, but I dunno if it'd help me more than something else right now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Beastruction posted:

Mirror lens! 800mm f/8!

I think you just sold something

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nielsm posted:

unless you get one of the extremely cheap mirror optics in which case you'll have a very hard time focusing and get quite bad image quality.

Are mirror optics really that bad? I wanted to get a long lens and ended up with a 800mm/f8 for like 100 dollars including a polarizing filter because I was the only bidder on this auction. I figured if it sucked it wasn't too bad a price, even if it ends up being a novelty. I haven't really dropped serious money on lenses yet cause I'm still beginning. I mean are they that bad that dipping your foot in it is still a waste?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I hosed around with a cheap 800mm/f8 mirror and got this with about 5 seconds preparation

P7268424 by signalnois3, on Flickr

I'd agree the bokeh is a little weird

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I currently own a Canon Powershot S110 and an Olympus E-P2. I want something that will allow me to make stable POV videos for painting tutorials/journals. What kind of tripod or whatever won't get in my way while shooting good video of hands on a table?