Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks goons!

I think I'm going to order a couple of these, just to have a spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is great, thanks!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

I wrote a bunch of words about using my Loupedeck.

Tl;dr, I like it but it's not without flaws.

Thanks for this. I've got to get mine going!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If anyone wants to learn more about nature sound recording, the Nature Sounds Society field workshop is pretty cool. Pretty cheap considering it includes room and board at a research station in the Sierras. Click “events” on this link

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dudeabides posted:

These are the debates I have with myself. I think I may lean toward getting some better glass. The question is what are some good Canon mount lenses that won't torpedo my savings?

Really depends what you are after, but the 40mm pancake is a bargain. The 100mm nonL macro is awesome if you want a dedicated macro. 85 f/1.8 is a nice portrait lens. for ultrawides you can go MF for like a Rokinon or get the 10-18. For quality upgrades for your zooms probably look to Tamron or Sigma instead of Canon. There's nothing really cheap for wildlife so you'll either need to make due at 300mm or be willing to pay >$500.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the bag thread is super old, so I'll ask here. I'm starting to investigate a wheeled bag to make air travel easier. I've got nice SKB case already, but I'm thinking about a backpack with wheels that could work for getting through airports but then also not be horrible as a day pack for light hiking. Would need to fit a 15" laptop (that I'd typically leave back at the room for the hiking part), binoculars, water bottle, etc. My camera kit would be 1-2 un-gripped dslr and probably 2-4 lenses with the biggest 70-300 or 400/5.6. Probably looking to spend <$300 although if there's something worth it outside that price range I might be willing to go higher. I'm just starting to think about this so I'm not entirely sure of my exact use cases but I think getting some recommendations or warnings at this point would help me narrow down my search.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

For cabin or hold?

For cabin.

Yeah, my last trip I carried on the skb and then packed an empty shoulder camera bag inside a large luggage to check, and other times I’ve carried on a large non-camera day pack with my computer for the overhead bin and a camera shoulder bag for under the seat and then packed away a small day pack in my checked luggage. I’m trying to figure out how to simply this that involves wheels.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone, this is definitely helpful. Good to know before I spend a lot of time looking for something I'll almost certainly not be happy with.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sperglord posted:

I'm planning to go on a whale watching cruise and want to rent a zoom lens to take pictures of whales. (I have no experience with lens renting but it sounds like a smart idea)

I have a Z6 and F-to-Z adapter.

Does anyone have recommendations for what lens I could rent and from where? Thanks!

Regarding what lens, you'll probably want something hand-holdable. Even if tripods are allowed (you may want to check) they aren't going to be as helpful on a deck that's moving around. I don't know the Nikon stuff but probably whatever's closest to the Canon 100-400. You could probably ask your tour operator what people seem happy with. They can probably tell you if you are likely to have whales breaching 40 feet from the boat or a quarter-mile away...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does anyone here print their photos themselves instead of a printing service? What printers are people using that are giving the best quality they’ve found?

I’m a rank amateur but I’ve been real happy with the canon Pixma pro-10. I do 90% or more color if it matters. Haven’t tried any other printers except the pixma pro 100 which I use for greeting cards.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

This might be bad advice on principle, I'll let you decide. I bought a Canon Pro-100 back in 2013ish when they offered rebates so large I couldn't ignore it. It ended up being $100 for the printer, a set of ink, and a set of 13x19 semi gloss photo paper. It's 7 years later and the printer still works, I'd say I got my money's worth. Canon is using a Keurig model where the hardware comes cheap, but you pay for it in refills. The inkset is $120 each, currently. I've long since switched to third party ink, which makes the printer reasonable to use. Canon also had two higher end models if you're looking for something closer to professional use.

I’m definitely interested in hearing more about the 3rd party inks. What’s your favorite brand? Have you ever noticed any differences in appearance? Ever had them leak or throw errors? and if I were to switch, do I need to change out all the cartridges at once or can I replace them as my canon cartridges run out?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I’ll give them a try. I’ve got a Pixma Pro 10 for professional prints, and I’ve been using the Pro 100 for greeting cards. I still want them to look nice, but it would be great to be able to make a little more off of each.
Out of the blue my father in law gave me another 100 yesterday they got from a friend, so now I have 3 of these behemoths. Definitely no reason not to experiment now.
Funny you say the black runs out first— it’s the opposite for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the new printing thread, but there's a free webinar from one of the Moab paper reps at 2pm eastern. I went to one of his in-person workshops and it was really helpful in giving an overview for all the color management and paper profile stuff.

https://twitter.com/MoabPaper/status/1245353993833984002

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just asked about diy scanning with a macro in the Film thread. The recommendation was, for a lot of slides, to use a flatbed. Epson p700 I think?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Newf posted:

Hi. Looking for recommendations but I may be in under your heads. My wife and I take lots of photos of our dog and daughter. We take lots of photos of birds and other animals who we encounter and of ... landscapes, I guess? Our daily driver is each of our Samsung Galaxy Edge 5 (6?) smart phones (whose camera we actually love, especially wrt how it does in low light). We also own a Canon Powershot SX400 IS which we like because it has a 30x optical zoom and because, not being a smart phone, it makes us feel like we're being photographers.

We'd like (I think) a more modern point-and-shoot which allows for but does not require manual control of ISO, shutterspeed, etc. We'd like it to be "camera plus lense" shaped, allowing for the 'long barrel' hold on high zoom shots. We're also open to mirrorless or DSLR type cameras, but we definitely need something that 'just works' by default. Bonus points for something where we can twist a lens for zoominess rather than pressing a w/t button. Flexible budget of roughly $500 CAD (~~$400 USD).

Browsing these things makes me flustered. So many options. This Powershot looks like a beefier, more modern version of our current camera (with a twisty lens!), but it has some pretty damning reviews. Should I believe them? I've looked at some Canon Rebel T6/T7 models, which seem appealing to me. As far as I can tell, the T7 is just 'the next version' of the T6? Is there some darling in the price ballpark I've described?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure I've got an answer for you, but I'll just mention that it's not really feasible to cover the same zoom range with a DSLR and a single lens as you would with a current superzoom point and shoot. The best you could do would probably be one of the Tamron lenses that's like 18mm to 300 or 400mm. Your comments seem to indicate real desire for convenience, so I think I'd recommend whatever the best superzoom/bridge/travel zoom you can afford.

OR... try to picture your photo activities where you might take your wider shots with your phones, and leave a telephoto on your camera most of the time that could handle dogge, kids, and wildlife. That way you wouldn't have to bring two lenses. The T6/T7 are at the low end of the Canon DSLR lineup. Looking at the specs I don't know that there's any absolute dealbreaker for the t6 compared to the t7 but the t7 has higher resolution (nice for cropping in on the birds) and larger buffer. Then maybe look for a 55-250mm lens. It's got stabilization (which the kit 75-300mm doesn't have) and will be more broadly useful at the wide end even if it's not quite as long for those bird photos. Don't be afraid to look for refurbished (with warranty) or even used (as long as you can return it).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what the newer models are like but the Panasonic Lumix FZ-50 I had like 10 years ago had very DSLR-like ergonomics. Looks like the current-ish models are FZ-1000, FZ-1000 II, and FZ-2500.

DPReview has a listing of the similar cameras, so maybe check this out https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-enthusiast-long-zoom-cameras. The Sony qirex mentioned was their recommended.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Canon changes the lens mount every generation, Nikon autofocus lenses from the 1990s work with certain modern bodies (D7xxx or better), and anything from 1949 works in manual mode.

Just to be clear we're talking human generations here, not camera generations. My Canon 400/5.6L was released in 1993.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

What’s the feeling around Canon’s inkjet line for photo printing? I am strongly avoiding Epson because of their firmware third party cartridge lockout and, while I don’t necessarily plan to use third party ink to print good looking photos, I’d rather not reward their behaviour with my business.

So something like a PRO-100? Or would that be too basic? I honestly don’t know what makes a good photo printer and I’m kind of in the “buy once cry once” mindset with a photo printer I won’t be selling at some point to get something “better”.

I’d like to not be limited to standard letter paper width, though I don’t see myself printing anything larger than 11x14, plus or minus, so I don’t think I need anything super wide format.

I've got a Pro-100, it came free with a camera bundle. So many people get them and never use them you might check your local Craigslist or whatever and see if anyone has one. It uses dye based inks which look pretty good. I'm forgetting the detail but there's some type of calibration it can't do that the higher end ones can but I think its not something to worry about unless you are needing to be super precise with color or do custom ink calibrations or something. I've been using it mostly for greeting cards. The quality looks good and the colors are bright and noticeably better than press print of the same image. The ink is pricy. I've got some 3rd party ink that I'm about to try when I run low. I've printed a LOT of cards with it and the only problem I've had is with flimsier cardstock I've sometimes had problems with head strikes or something where the trailing edge catches some bit of ink and leaves a smudge.

I've also got a Pro-10 which uses pigment inks. If you are marketing your prints as archival or whatever these last a lot longer than the dye based inks. I've been really happy with it. I use it for small prints on fine art papers, up to 12x18.

Both do up to 13x19. Both benefit from frequent printing or they blow a lot of ink when you fire them up again. Not sure either do rolls? Neither are good if you want to do odd-sized borderless prints.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know if Canon is much better. This will be my first foray into 3rd party ink with them but the procedure is to inject ink into my old canon cartridges then use a gizmo to manually reset the ink meter chip to full.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I can't imagine buying Canon paper retail. Canon will also sometimes run promos giving you a crap ton of paper with an ink refill purchase.

If you end up wanting to try higher-end papers most companies have relatively inexpensive sample packs.

The Pro-10 inks are virtually the same price as the Pro-100 inks (I think maybe $10-$20 difference for a multipack and maybe a buck or two per cartridge if you buy singly). I haven't looked into 3rd party alternatives for the Pro-10 though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Anyone got a Tokina AT-X 11-20 PRO DX? I am getting urges for a wide angle for my 80D (crop) maybe for some astro and some more general wide stuff, its this or the 10-18 Canon and forget about astro cos I probably won't give up my sleep.

I've got a Sigma 8-16 that I rarely use. It's not a fast lens but you can't get much wider than that!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

None of these exist for crop EF mounts that gets you truly into ultra wide territory ( < 16mm). Sadly.

Rokinon 14mm? You can use EF on a crop mount, but not the other way around (EF-S lens on a full frame EF camera).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shows my dumbness that I was thinking f/2.8 was fast...

Can I ask a dumb astro question here? If you're shooting wide open, how to you get any terrestrial stuff in focus in the shots? Or is not in sharp sharp but good enough as long as the stars are sharp?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Ultrawide really plays in your favor on focus. According to the first DOF calculator I found, 12mm @ F/2 you can focus to 4 meters and everything will be in focus. If you're stacking images you can do even better since your foreground is almost certainly static. Take one long shot of your static foreground and composite it with stacked star shots.

That's awesome, thanks. I had no idea.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gschmidl posted:

I bought an adapter before the cameras were out, grabbed the free one from CPS and sold that at RRP

Do you have a link for the free adapter through CPS?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks- those seem to all be euro links. It's possible Canon USA isn't participating.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shotgun mics aren't super narrow. I just looked up a Sennheiser that's pretty flat up to at least 30 degrees off axis. I've got to think your room acoustics are going to make more difference than the angle of one part of a piano than another. I'm not into video sound but I'd guess you probably don't want a shotgun right next to the piano. If you wanted a mic in the middle of the sound, then maybe you'd want an omni mic or something hung over the piano?

Do you follow any youtubers who would share their setup?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Hi I've literally never posted in this sub before!

I have a Canon EOS 20D that I got used for $200ish Some Years ago. I like to mess around with it and muck with taking "real" photos even though I use my cellphone as a camera 90% of the time.

If I was going to ditch the 20D for something that's maybe, now, in that same 200ish price range (used, though used through somewhere like B&H would be preferred, that's where this one came from), what are my best options?

Compatibility with my existing 20D lenses would be a plus but not a hard req. Thanks!!

Maybe look at a used 70D? this is a little over your price range but I think it would be a big enough jump to make it worth the upgrade.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe rent one for the trip?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Canon mirrorless adapts EF seamlessly, AF performance might not be great unless go R6 though. You could look at R or Rp though.

The R looks like it's pretty good for the price. But if there's any way you can swing an R6 you will not regret it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

Potentially esoteric question for filthy DV touchers, if this thread is appropriate for it: recently just took possession of two Sony cameras that shoot on miniDV/DVCAM (DCR-HC20, DSR-PD170). I don't have an A/C adapter for the DSR but I've been loving around with the Handycam shooting in 4:3 with NightShot on just for fun. In the bundle of gear came a bunch of unsealed but otherwise brand new, unused Sony-branded DVCAM tapes. In one instance last night, I recorded about ~5mins of footage, rewound the tape, played it back, captured it to my PC via a capture card, and after that 5 minutes of footage ended, it was as if the tape completely lost its tracking. I was unable to rewind or fast forward the tape, and according to the counter on the camera's LCD, the tape was at the 0:00:00 position.

I went back to record mode, recorded another minute or so of footage, and when I went back to play mode, it let me rewind the tape to the beginning of that one minute section. But while I was playing it back, it suddenly stopped and showed the blank blue screen about 20 seconds in. Just wondering how likely it is that the tape itself has deteriorated vs. the tape deck in the camera itself perhaps erroneously activating the erase head while playing back? I'm honestly not super familiar with DV as I went directly from shooting analog Hi8 to shooting on SD cards back in the day. For what it's worth, I've tried other tapes and can playback and rewind with seemingly no problem, but if it's a potential issue with the deck I'd rather not stress it as much as I can til I can figure out what might be going on.

Anyway I know this subforum is mostly for photography but this seems like the best thread for this question as I'm not sure there's a camcorder thread in tyool 2021. But if there's a better place to ask, I'm all ears!

ugh, you're giving me flashback to a research project where we had hundreds of mini DV tapes... Not sure what to recommend for that tape but you should definitely get a head cleaner tape to run in the cameras.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

Has anyone here sold a lens to MPB? They offered me a pretty good price, and it seems worth it if they stick to it and there's little hassle.

I've sold to them twice in the past year and it's been good both times. They stuck with their preliminary estimates. The first time it took a few days beyond what they said for my gear to be evaluated but I think it was near some holiday plus covid so I didn't hold it against them.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They've already got my info, so I put in a quote for an 80D. Good Condition: $405, Excellent Condition $450. You'd clearly do much better if you could sell it direct to someone on Craigslist or here in Dorkroom, but it's not bad as a convenient sure-fire sale.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a hard time thinking you could beat the price. Hopefully you can test it out before you go. The general recommendation for that lens is to not shoot wide open, it’s a little sharper stopped down to /7.1 or 8. The IS is pretty decent but I got a better keeper rate when on a tripod (probably obvious).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m not sure if “incompatible “ means doesn’t work at all or just that the af won’t be fast enough to reach the advertised fps of the body?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chainclaw posted:

The DLSR I got my partner for Christmas has been a huge hit, and I want to get her a lens for her birthday. Looking to stay under $500, and basically what I can get this weekend at Best Buy. Due to the unpleasantness of the world, the first gift I ordered her got lost in shipping so I need to go get another one as a replacement.

She's been using the camera for a huge variety of things I didn't expect, so a variety of lenses seems like the right call. Pictures of stuff to sell on Etsy, she brought it to the beach to take photos of one of her startups (boat drones), she brings it to events, etc.

So far she's got: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Lens, the EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Lens it came with, and a random used lens I was able to get that I forget the specifics on.

I'm leaning toward a less expensive telephoto lens, like Canon - EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens - Black https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-ef-85mm-f-1-8-usm-medium-telephoto-lens-black/8551186.p?skuId=8551186

But I've heard prime lenses are also real good, and I don't think she has one yet. Something like Canon - RF 50mm f/1.8 STM Standard Prime Lens for RF Mount Cameras - Black https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-standard-prime-lens-for-rf-mount-cameras-black/6439620.p?skuId=6439620

Which camera body did you get her? The 50mm/1.8 RF mount lens is designed for the new R-series mirrorless cameras, and from the EF-S lens you listed that you gave her an APS-C mount DSLR camera. It won't work, although there are plenty of options for that focal length that will work with her camera (look for Canon 50mm/1.8 or /1.4 EF mount, or Sigma).

Since you mention boats, I wonder if an ultra-wide lens be good. Have you looked at the Canon 10-18mm? There's a manual focus lens from Rokinon (14mm/f2.8, no idea if it's at Best Buy).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the SL3 is a crop-sensor DSLR, meaning it can use EF-S and EF mount Canon lenses, but not RF or M. If you get a third party lens from Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc, just make sure it will work with EF-S or EF mount Canon cameras.

The calibrator sounds like a good gift too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cassius Belli posted:

e2: They are definitely anti-union though. He was convinced that the worst of the allegations were union propaganda to drive customers away.

Guess I'll just buy from Amazon then...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

Hmmm I was side-eyeing the R6 but RP seems like it’s got most of the good stuff.

How big of a deal is in-body stabilization versus lens stabilization?

Definitely depends on your shooting style and lenses. If you’ve got a lens that’s got great IS maybe you wouldn’t always notice the extra stops, or if you’re always on a tripod, but for use with non-IS lenses it’s pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe pick up a rain cover for your camera/lens. I took a birding trip there in the late '90's and it literally rained some every day, and we weren't even in SE Alaska.

Otherwise, if you want ideas, you can browse various Alaska camera workshops and get ideas for the recommended gear.