Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I still have a G7 mk1 and occasionally actually use it when I don’t want to bring a DSLR. I’m not sure where I could tell you it’s the absolute best choice in the quality/convenience/price/use case matrix but if you want something flexible, pretty high quality, and jacket pocketable it’ll definitely do the job and gives (imo) a pretty good user experience. I particularly like the dedicated exposure compensation dial , not sure if the mk2 has it but I use it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
e: beaten

quote:

This difficult decision is part of the annual operating plan review that our parent company shared earlier this year.

quote:

DPReview.com is a wholly-owned, editorially independent subsidiary of Amazon.com

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I forget what it's called but BorrowLenses has a sales company for their used gear.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Secondhand R6?

Seconding this. Maybe rent one? I’m assuming you’ve already considered and ruled out a used 5d4.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cat Wings posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but the other "newbie" threads all seemed to be dead and archived. I'm looking at getting a camera, either DSLR or mirrorless, mostly for doing some street and nature photography, but once I have some more experience I want to try doing some macro and astrophotography as well.

You may want to think in more detail about what you're after in the nature photography realm. If it's wildlife and especially birds, it's almost worth starting with the lens you want and then working backwards to the best body you can afford. Bird photographers are usually carrying around 400-600mm lenses. For bodies, these aren't full frame, but you might think about something like a used canon 90D or 7Dmk2 since the smaller aps-c sensor allows for some additional reach for the rear end in a top hat birds who are never as close as you want them to be. These may have better autofocus than the 5Dmk2 as well..

If nature more means landscape or macro, then there's less reason to choose a crop sensor camera and whatever 5D or 6D full frame model you might look at will be fantastic.

Eventually you may want mirrorless (many of which do have viewfinders) but I'm not sure what to recommend for under $1k.