Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

CongoJack posted:

Hello I have a camera question.

Last year I started motorcycling and when I go places I like to take some pictures. I have a phone but I want something better and more dedicated. I would also like it to be small so I am more likely to actually take it with me. I have no experience so the camera doesn’t have to be amazing but it would be cool if it was good enough to use if I wanted to be slightly more serious about photography. At least for a little bit until I want to spend more on something bigger. It would be great if I could find something for $500 but I can spend up to $1000.

I checked out mpb and there are some used Fujifilm X100 models, would something like that be a good option?

If you want something a little more open ended, the Olympus PEN series looks pretty neat? Out of the box, it looks pretty much like a compact but it has the option for extra lenses if you get the bug.

Edit: Looks like they don't sell the latest model in North America which is a bummer.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JamesieAB posted:

Usefull info, thanks all.

Has anyone heard of Homesuit?

Most of these are all the same generic Chinese made Li-ion packs with different labels on them.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

800mm f/11 sounds so niche, but I no applaud canon for trying something like that. I wish Nikon and Fuji would be a bit more imaginative. Fuji doesn’t even make a 200 or 300mm f4.

Looks like Canon has always made weirdo long telephoto primes* but RF is the first time they've actually bothered making anything in that range in consumer grade. I guess the different aperture dynamics on contrast AF makes cost cutting/packaging easier though?

*If you had a spare 10 million yen in 1993 for example...
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/ef319.html

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

powderific posted:

The Z9 doesn't actually have a shutter other than the sensor cover thing, so yes they tuned it in the sense that it's totally simulated?

Nikon's Z line-up never fails to confuse and scare me.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If you like the idea of a smaller, lighter camera, you may want to look at some micro four-thirds cameras like Olympus (or OM or whatever their name is this week) and Panasonic. They may also be a little more budget friendly.

Personally I love the retro looks and feel of the OM-D cameras but I've never used one further than messing around in the showroom.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I really like Kitamura for checking the ballpark on used stuff.

13 used R8s bodies in their system starting at 202K~ vs 237K~ new, so not great.

All the new stuff appears to be priced internationally though, so it's not like the "domestic" market is any cheaper to begin with.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yeah, the numbering is similar to the DSLR lineup but not quite the same.

R3 is the flagship sports stand-in for now.
R5 is the premium high resolution 35mm, closer to 5DS?
R6/R6 II is the premium standard resolution 35mm and sort of what the standard 5D was.
R8 is the entry-level 35mm which makes it more similar to the 6D.

The crop bodies are easier though.
R7 = 7D
R10 = X0D
R50 = X00D
R100 = Burning trash fire :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zandi posted:

I think I'll try to keep the 5D limping along as long as I can, it's still an amazing camera and none of the possible upgrades seem to be a huge step up. Once it does die it looks like the R6 is the way to go.

I guess it depends what you shoot but the AF on the new R bodies is a revelation, and I've found the exposure sim on viewfinder to be extremely useful as it takes all the guesswork out of photos in low, harsh or otherwise weird lighting.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Southern Cassowary posted:

so i often pull out my smartphone to take pictures of birds when i'm on the kayak or otherwise outdoors and it is woefully unsuited to this task and i'd like to get a nicer camera

i'm not totally lost when it comes to interchangeable lens cameras - did a bunch of yearbook photography in high school with an old canon slr film camera and got roped into taking pictures of a few events for work and whatnot based on that - so i know i'm basically buying into a lens ecosystem and the basics of exposure but not enough to make a serious call on what to buy.

spent a chunk of the day doing research but figured i'd ask the photo nerds also - if you were going to spend...2-3k usd to get setup for bird photography, where would you go? have been eyeballing a canon r7+the 100-400 but i'm open-minded to pretty much any brand, second hand, whatever. i can pretend i'd use this camera for other stuff but 99% of it is going to be getting sick action shots of egrets and i am mostly interested in getting the best results for that. good weather sealing to handle use on the kayak would be a major plus.

I use the R7 with the RF 100-400 and it's pretty darn good, but the 100-400 is not weather sealed and Canon don't provide any standardized rating for the R7's weather proofing either so I'm not sure if I'd want to rely on it in such a wet environment.

I mostly shoot birds too and I've been eyeing the OM-1 as an "if I could start all over again" camera. It's got a proper IP rating and apparently they have some nice weather sealed lenses around without dipping all the way into the "professional" price bracket. As a bonus, the OM-1 MkII just got announced so there should be a lot of panic selling around. :v:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 20, 2024

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Southern Cassowary posted:

i was also looking at olympus as my second option because they seem very reasonably priced but i was unsure about micro 4/3rds as a tradeoff - not sure how i feel about crop factor meaning bigger subjects vs fov. glass seems really reasonably priced too.

after you posted this i watched a video where duade paton talked about this exact thing and showed olympus footage of them just deadass shooting a mister at the om1 which was definitely a selling point

how's the om5 compare to the om1?

Apparently their compact wide lenses are pretty good as well, but obviously you're not going to get the artsy ~depth of field~ of a larger sensor.

I've looked at the OM-5 and I'm not quite sure the price difference is worth the trade-off in features/performance. Fewer AF points, fewer controls (no AF stick), etc. But it's apparently weather sealed to the same spec as the OM-1, so that's a point in its favor for outdoorsy stuff.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

big black turnout posted:

Assuming I'm on the right track, I've been looking at options and think I've narrowed it down to the Sony a7iv or Canon EOS R6ii. I'm really only concerned with still photography, but I suppose video is nice to have and it seems like everybody is focusing on hybrids anyway. I've narrowed it down to these mostly on the strength of autofocus/tracking and I'm leaning slightly towards the Sony because of slightly better autofocus(?) and availability of third party lenses.

I think Sony and Canon are pretty much neck and neck for autofocus at the moment. Third party lenses are a big sticking point, but I think there are different sides to the issue. Sony E-Mount is over 10 years old so they have the time advantage. On Canon's side, what they've put out for RF so far has generally been excellent and they've been coming out with some really interesting stuff. You can also adapt all the EF lenses with native support so you can also go through their entire back catalog as well.

Another factor to consider is ergonomics/UI, which you're really gonna need to get your hands on the actual cameras to compare, but generally speaking Sony's menus are famously bad. Their bodies are a mixed bag, it seems like they try to make their bodies as compact as possible which is nice on form factor but doesn't leave much room for your hands. I think Canon puts a lot of work into their ergonomics, tiny bodies aside, I've never held a Canon that didn't just feel right in my hands.

Third option, Nikon is supposedly launching the Z6 III some time this year which will of course allow you to easily carry over whatever is left alive in your F collection. Judging from the reviews of the Zf, which is supposedly the Z6 II.5ish under the retro veneer, people have high hopes for it.

I honestly don't think there's a bad choice of system for mirrorless right now.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Plus, only a couple of my lenses are AF-S so that's not much compatible glass.

Good news then, thanks to the wonders of modern on-sensor focus detection, manual lenses are now back on the menu.

Not to mention, Nikon just doesn't seem to be in the conversation with autofocus, though maybe it's just hype

Nikon were very slow out of the gate with autofocus but they're catching up now. The Z8 and Z9, as mentioned above, apparently set a new standard for Nikon so there's a been a lot of hype for everything they've been producing since then.

I'm fairly invested in Canon at this point but if Nikon ever take another serious look at APS-C, I might have trouble keeping my wallet closed...

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bear in mind the Z8 has no mechanical shutter at all if that’s a consideration for you, but I’ve heard it’s an excellent camera regardless

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yeah that’s probably a pretty good deal for your use case, actually. The megapixels don’t even matter that much for video as you’re probably subsampling or supersampling anyway.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kazy posted:

Anyone have any experience with it, or have any suggestions for similar small form factor cameras? Probably don't want to spend more than $500 or so.

Have you considered something like a higher grade 1-inch compact? If size and weight is your biggest concern, I think that’s probably the way to go. In which case the Sony RX100 series is pretty well regarded and has complete controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

DSLRs were never really meant for video, they just kind of leaned into it as the market demand for it increased. Mirrorless cameras generally have better video options, depending on your budget you might be able to get some flavor of Sony a6X00 which would be a step in the right direction. But really, if you only need a basic recording of something for the lowest price point, get a little tripod for your phone and download something like 'BlackMagic Camera'. In the realm of 1080p/720p you likely won't see that much of a difference.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 17, 2024