Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i’m considering a 35mm lens which is a huge deal for me

I’m looking at the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM for EF mount

it’s a 2016 lens .. and my 135mm is a sigma art too

the other alternative is the RF canon 35mm f/2 which is much more affordable

i have a feeling that if I am gonna go down this path I should get the sigma and not wish I’d done it

thoughts? should I be worried it’s almost ten years old?

there's a newer high end Tamron 35mm 1.4 that I've seen compared favorably to the Sigma and is slightly cheaper

if you like big chonky Sigma lenses there is also their 40mm which is supposed to be excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

probably but an 83mp full frame would likely cost a bit more than an R7

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The current line up you'd probably be looking at is:

RP:
- 26mp full frame
- Second oldest RF camera, older sensor, AF system not as good as the newer cameras
- Still a good stills camera, but would probably look at the much newer R8, especially if you care at all about video

R10:
- 24mp crop sensor
- Newer, modern crop sensor with a very good modern AF system
- Fewer megapixels and high end features than the R7, but good value especially if you can get it on sale

R8:
- 24mp full frame, the same excellent sensor and AF system of the R6m2 in a barebones, much cheaper body
- Notably does NOT have: IBIS, weather sealing, dual cards, full mechanical shutter, or the newer better battery
- If you don't care about those features, and aren't primarily shooting birds, easily the best value

R7:
- 32mp crop sensor, DOES have all of the above features: IBIS, weather sealing, dual cards, full mechanical shutter, and the better batteries
- Better low light performance than most DSLRs, but not as good as the full frame mirrorless, better AF system as well but inconsistent compared to the full frames
- Crazy pixel density and fully featured, amazing bird camera for the price

R6m2:
- 24mp full frame, fully featured
- The newest of the top tier cameras, amazing AF system, crazy good low light performance
- Fantastic all around camera, excellent at everything, the only reason to spend more than this is if you want 45mp

R5:
- 45mp full frame, fully featured
- A few years old now, AF system is still very good but not as amazing or flexible as the R6m2
- Pricy but still probably their best camera if you aren't a professional sports photographer
- Can't speak to the prices in Slovenia, but in the US has been available at some major discounts recently, with the rumored R5m2 allegedly coming this year

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yeah it comes with In-Brick Imagination Stimulation

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Canon Price Watch is great for checking prices/price history at all the reputable dealers/used sellers

Canon refurbs are usually virtually brand new and often cheaper than used, so I'd start there

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

looks like you can get refurb from Canon for $1169: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/re...mpaign=13505864

or if you have a Prime Visa you can get 10% back buying new from Amazon which also comes out to... $1169: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0BTTTH5G6/cpw-20/?me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

both are as cheap as anything you'll find outside of maybe Facebook Marketplace

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'll say that I've shot in decent rain with the R7 and 70-200L for a few hours without issue, but yeah, if you're talking proper weather sealed lenses you're mainly looking at the RF100-500 or its precursor, the EF100-400L

Depending on how patient you're willing to be, the R7 and RF100-500 have been on refurb sale for a smidge under 3k recently. The EF version would hit that much more easily, especially used. It's a pretty killer combo, probably unbeatable for the price/size/weight since you're presumably going to want something that can be easily shoved in a dry bag

At that price point and for something that will regularly be on a kayak I'd probably get into the "don't buy something you can't afford to replace" mindset though

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

googling "a7siii" returns like 90% results about video, so I presume that it's popular because 12mp gets you 4k + overhead for software stabilization, with big ole light buckets and and lower cost to making it back illuminated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Only thing missing is a wide + fast L prime. The 10-20 L is great for super wide, but it's f4. Can't believe the fast 24/35 is still not even announced (the 35 1.8 is a great holdover thoguh). The prime trinity of 35/50/85 should have been released as fast as the zoom trinity. Also want to see a 20 or wider, as the cheapo 16 2.8 is pretty good too but I know an L lens will get crazy (like the rumored 12/14mm 1.2).

Other than those holes though, RF lineup is killer. The 28-70 f2, 24-105 2.8, and 100-300 2.8 are all incredible not only in coverage but also performance. They're just now rolling out RF cinema lenses too, which are doing similarly great things. I think at this rate, RF will go down as one of the all time great mounts which is what keeps me on Canon (along with the bodies already being great)

Get the ZF with the 40mm pancake and use the extra 1800 towards a killer lens of your choice! Unless you really need the extra megapixels or hate the ZF styling I can't see a reason to go for the 8.

don't think anyone was trying to suggest they didn't have enough lenses in the $2500-$20000 range lol