Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's an actual gear question:

I bought a 5DII a year or so ago when I had too much money and thought a camera would make my feelings better after getting dumped. I've had a nifty 50 on it for a year, occasionally subbing in the 28-135mm (which I could borrow from school). Having graduated, and possibly looking to make some money from freelance photo, I'm considering what my options are for expanding beyond the 50.

Basically, I'm looking for a good all around lens for a 5D that isn't going to destroy my wallet. Most of the freelance stuff I'm looking for will be event type stuff, so a general purpose lens seems ideal.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tijag posted:

I would think 24-70 f/2.8 L would fit your needs exactly? There is a newer and older version I believe, and I'm sure you'd be quite happy with the older version.

edit: That looks to be about $1300 used on Craigslist.

There is a new Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 that has IS [tamron calls it VC] that looks to be getting pretty positive reviews which you can get NEW for the same price as the used L glass [which doesn't have image stabilization].

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SNP02K...&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Hm yeah that Tamron looks pretty great. Thanks!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

rawrr posted:

The 24-70/2.8L is one of those lenses that even if (though?) third party equivalents perform better on test charts, have more features (like VC/IS), and are way cheaper, I'm still irrationally tempted to buy the Canon.

It's that red ring man, I just want that red ring.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

You know, something I found that's really funny is that the last four or five years I spent all my time and money trying to build the most "pro" feeling kit I could -- big bulky bodies, add-on grips, fast lenses, etc. And now that I have some of that stuff, I find that the only thing I want is a small rangefinder style camera that I can stick in my pocket.

No doubt the big stuff is amazing gear, but when you have zero desire to carry it around you tend to not shoot as much as you'd like.

Oh for sure. I don't bring my 5D everywhere, in fact I tend to not bring it out unless I'm getting paid or it's a big enough event with friends.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I flew out to Santa Barbara last week and took a drive in the mountains. I was keeping things light, so I took the GS645 and my Olympus XA. That was more than enough for snapping some landscapes.

The XA2 is amazing. Fits in the palm of your hand, plastic, cheap (or they used to be). I also have an XA that I don't use as much as my XA2. My XA2 is my go to "carry everywhere" camera. In fact, all of my 35mms are my go to "carry everywhere" cameras.