Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fats posted:

Is the weather-sealing on the Pentax cameras worth a poo poo? I was going to get a D7100 off Keh to finally upgrade from my film X-700, but the Pentax K-3 (and the upcoming K-3 ii) looks kinda interesting, since it rains here all the time. Any other reasons to go with one brand over the other? All my current lenses are old and beaten up and I doubt they'd be worth using on a newer camera, so it's not like I'm attached to one particular brand.

Also consider an Olympus em5 + the 12;50 kit lens. Crazy good weather sealing for not that much.

I spent an hour in pouring rain with my Olympus today, its great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Canon or nikon are probably good enough for most things. All I know is that I have no fear about doing stuff like this:

btw, snow drifts make terrible tripods for timelapses or very long exposures, it just melts too fast to be stable :geno:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

HPL posted:

Use the Bessa with Leica glass. Rumour has it that Leica and Voigtlander use exactly the same sensors.

gently caress leica glass, get the voigtlander 15mm and go hog wild

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

surrender posted:

Hi all, I'm looking to a buy a DSLR or mirrorless camera in the $500-600 range. I'm currently living/working in Africa and I would use it regularly at work for taking photos of farmland, and I would also like to use it for travel photography. Size isn't an issue - I currently have a Sony HX9V compact superzoom that takes pretty good photos and I plan on keeping it. A decent zoom would also be nice, in case I end up going on a safari tour again. My current camera has 16x optical zoom, whatever that means, and it helped out a lot for shooting wildlife at a distance during a previous safari.

A used OM-D EM5 would be at the upper end of the budget, but it's weather sealed, can take a beating, and the crop factor works in your favor with wild life (although it'll be hard to compete with the raw zoom of the HX9V on that budget).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I literally just dry heaved reading this.

ROOT or python only, please.

But seriously photoshop is still pretty hot when it comes to stitching. Or get a camera with sensor shift and do it in body.

or do both. Brb.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

One thing to note is that the 14-42 isn't weather sealed, you want to look for the 12-50 kit lens. https://www.keh.com/361006/olympus-om-d-e-m5-black-digital-camera-body-16-1-m-p + https://www.keh.com/361024/olympus-12-50mm-f-3-5-6-3-m-zuiko-ed-ez-msc-black-autofocus-lens-for-micro-four-thirds-system-52 for example.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Page late, but don't care, gently caress filters, hail satan.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Thorpe posted:

$35 worth of hail satans later

gently caress yeah

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

feigning interest posted:

I always scroll past it thinking it's the Pentax thread; a mod should put "Fuji" in the title so people will actually open it

If you can't read the entire thread title odds are you're not going to read the OP of that thread, so think of it as a simple way to keep idiots like you from getting banned/probated for doing stupid poo poo.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Highblood posted:

I'd like to get into insect photography (or macro in general, but mainly insects), I have about 500$ to blow and I own a 60D. I've done a bit of macro using a reverse ring, I love it and now I'm willing to step up my game. So assuming I have absolutely jack poo poo besides the body for macro photography and that I don't mind buying used/refurbished, how well can I do with 500$? I'm interested in getting a tripod and lighting also if necessary (if I can even go that far with 500$) or any other accessory I might need that I'm not aware of.

Am I too poor for this?

I'd spend money on some lighting poo poo (big flash box, ringlight, something where you can illuminate poo poo well) before getting a big macro lens. Tripod helps but isn't as necessary imo if you've got a nice flash (and depending on what you're shooting stuff might be moving too much anyways).

When I do it I walk around with the camera in one hand, and a cheap yongnuo 560 hotshoe flash with a 6x8 softlight thing on it to even things out, and either a cable or a wireless trigger to let me trigger it from wherever.

That sorta gear and a tamron 90mm (you don't really need autofocus or stuff when you're shooting macro imo... just move the camera. Unless you want to do cheaper focus stacking of course!) can probably be done for under $500 easily, and will be better than a canon 100 with no lighting.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DJExile posted:

HEY KIDS LET'S TALK MONOPODS :toot:

I have a Really Big Lens now

My current monopod is a Manfrotto 679B and it has taken a beating over the years, and struggles holding this big motherfucker up, so now's likely as good a time as any to get a new, sturdier one.

Lens plus body weighs in at 10+lbs, and I'm 6'6", so maximum height is going to need to be over 64 inches. I'm assuming 3section monopods are going to be a bit sturdier than 4+ section ones, and weight of the monopod itself isn't as much a concern, I just want to try to keep this big fucker steady when on a walk or hike. Any and all suggestions are welcome

the cheaper option is to mail that lens to me, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Erostratus posted:

So my grandmother is an artist that takes photos and prints them for reference. She's really good, but will print thousands of them out if she has enough ink and the printer is running, which is the problem as she's been through like 5 printers.

I need a reliable prosumer printer, (maybe from Epson because i like their more expensive ones) that will above all, consistently print hundreds of decent photos for under around $200. But also something an 85 year old can handle.

Any ideas before she buys another lovely Brother printer?

I mean, if you're burning through Brothers you might want to consider spending more than $200 on a printer.

e. also a laser printer probably isn't the best choice for photos.