Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I need a circular polarizing filter for my Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens. Do I need to get a slim version? I bought the lens used and the seller included a Tama Ultra-Slim 77mm UV filter. Which brand or specific one should I get?

Also, I may want a neutral density gradient filter as well. Recommendations?

Thanks for any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have a B+W Kaesemann Circular Polarizer. If I remember correctly it doesn't vignette even at 10mm on my 10-22, but I can try tonight.

Please do. I looked at the slim version of the 77mm and people say it's good, but many complaints of not being to use a lens cap or that the included cap that comes with the filter is garbage because it falls off easily. The slim one is around the same price.

Turd Nelson posted:

I just picked up one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-Super-Circular-Polarizer-Filter/dp/B003QSG0HK

but in a 67mm version for my Tamron 17-50. It's pretty slim, so it shouldn't vignette very much.

Good reviews for this one, but "it shouldn't vignette very much" isn't very reassuring. I do have a 1.6x crop camera, so maybe that helps too.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 30, 2012

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Turd Nelson posted:

I haven't used it on an ultra wide, so I can't tell you how much or little it vignettes. What I was trying to convey in that post is that the marumi is a slim filter, and slim filters vignette less.

Also, I am happy with my purchase but I wish I use a cpl AND a lens hood

Okay, I'll try it out.

But are these two the same thing? I would get it from Amazon, but they don't ship this to Canada.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marumi-77mm-CPL-77-Super-DHG-MC-Slim-Thin-PL-D-Filter-Circular-Polarizer-Japan-/190604948354#shId

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marumi-77mm-CPL-77-Super-DHG-MC-Slim-PL-D-Filter-Circular-Polarizer-Japan-EXC-/360466713275#ht_1571wt_1396

The first one is more expensive, but the only difference is the product name has "thin" in it the EXC+. The descriptions are the same. Seems like a listing error or something, but I strangely feel safer getting the one that's closer to the Amazon price. I only see one version on the Marumi website.

vvvvvvvvv poo poo, I didn't even see the new/used. Thanks!

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 30, 2012

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Why get something like a Yongnuo instead of a Nikon or Canon flash? I see the word "manual", but how does that translate in real world situations? I don't know anything about the world of lighting, but I've been considering getting one of the Canon Speedlites.

Edit: sorry. I'll be reading the lighting thread as well

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 7, 2012

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Well, I'm almost always using my camera in manual. I would only switch to auto if a time sensitive situation arises.

So the advantages of a first party flash only really come out if you use usually your camera in auto mode?