Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
The af-s 80-200mm f/2.8 is also available under $1k in places. It is supposed to be a little sharper and faster focusing than the AF-D ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

reliability.
Some do TTL over radio as well, right?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

So, dumb question - how can I tell if I got a bad copy of a lens? I ordered a nikon 50mm f/1.4D from KEH a while back (I'm way out of the return window) to replace my broken f/1.8D (stupid baby), and everything I shot with it looked really soft compared to both the broken f/1.8 and another f/1.8D I got to use in place of the 1.4 over the holidays. The f/1.4 looked soft compared to two of my other lenses as well (a nikon 80-200 af-s and a tokina 100mm (?) macro). I visually inspected the glass and the diaphragm and everything looks fine to me.

I guess my question is, how can I tell that I'm not being crazy and confirm that there is something actually wrong with the lens? Are there any tests I can run?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

nielsm posted:

A simple test?
Put camera on tripod, find some ruled paper or similar thing with a simple pattern, place the patterned thing at an angle to the camera (so the lines would become diagonal in the photo), focus somewhere in the middle of the pattern, take pictures at all the apertures.
Afterwards inspect all the pictures 1:1, if there's anywhere along the depth axis the pictures are sufficiently sharp it would point to autofocus being miscalibrated. If it isn't sharp anywhere at any aperture, then the lens may be bad. If it's an AF calibration issue, the newer higher-end bodies have an option for AF micro adjust you can try to use.
Thanks, I just printed out some random test pattern I found online, and it looks like my lens is broke. Dammit.

50mm f/1.4D (at f/1.8) on the left, 50mm f/1.8D (at f/1.8) on the right

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

gvibes posted:

Thanks, I just printed out some random test pattern I found online, and it looks like my lens is broke. Dammit.

50mm f/1.4D (at f/1.8) on the left, 50mm f/1.8D (at f/1.8) on the right

Minor update: KEH is replacing it under warranty. Thanks KEH.