Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Don't forget the Pentax LX. Sure as hell can't afford the 500 dollars to buy it though. At that point, I'd buy an Mamiya RZ or something...

I guess the smaller viewfinder might make it less fun than MF, but then again, I'm filthy pentamirror rebel scum, and it might actually be really nice to use in person regardless.

Edit: Photos pulled from Flickr from someone who has nice things to make my post seem less dull.

Pentax LX FF-1 Waist-Level Finder - Top w/ magnifier by androonguyen, on Flickr

Pentax LX w/ Pentax LX FF-1 Waist-Level Finder Closed by androonguyen, on Flickr

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
CPL filters's. I know the advice is generally the most expensive you can afford for your largest thread size, but is this in the territory of go large (as you can) or go home, or would I not be horrified with a cheapish Praktica branded CPL fliter? It's something I've been keeping on the to do list since I have noticed that I do indeed take a largeish amount of landscapes and a reasonable amount of water and want to get one since everyone insists it's a pretty critical piece of kit, but I'm not sure I want to drop 300 dollars on one.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Ah my bad, I just skimmed through filter selections, looks like the really expensive filters are the variable/high density ND filters. Well that's good to know. Now to talk myself into buying the 77mm version even if I don't see myself buying any new lenses in the near future. Cheers guys.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

No the rule is get a Marumi super dhg either in the largest thread size or in the size for the lenses you want CPL'ed.

Haha okay. Does it have to be the super or is the DHG good enough?

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I've got the chance to pick up a sigma 30mm 1.4 for $420 NZD (which translates to somewhere around $350 USD). The owner lost the lens hood and mentions that there might be a backfocus issue, but I've read the article on lensrentals, so it probably isn't a huge thing and I know I can send it for calibration with my camera if it really bugs me. I've already got a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 which I use generally and I like using with my Canon XS, but I think getting the Sigma would be great for night time photos because I enjoy doing night landscapes and find that even indoors at night time I keep butting up against the terrible ISO perfomance of my body. Is that a fair price for it and what is everyone's experience of the lens themselves?

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 25, 2012

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Yeah, EF mount seems like the worst possible mount to do it on. I can't help but imagine if they did this for M42, or even FD/MD mount with no electrics and a bit cheaper, they would be flying off of the shelves.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Well I decided I wanted a medium telephoto since I wanted a nice prime for taking car photos at local car events, nobody has a Canon EF 100mm or 135mm 2.0 for sale around me, so I ordered a 100mm f2.0 Yong Nuo from China. Wish me luck.

I mean I don't have any nice long lenses. I've been geting by with the nasty rear end kit 75-300 4-5.6 USM III and i find most of my photos at around 100-130mm anyway, so I figure even a budget Chinese clone of the EF 100mm 2.0 will be an significant upgrade.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 21, 2020

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
The local clubs usually do rallysprint and autocross events. I'm far away enough due to safety requirements. Usually about 10+ meters, but since cars are much bigger subjects than birds or even people I haven't been far enough away that I desperately need a very long telephoto lenses to fill the frame. I'm mostly doing panning shots. I also prefer the compressed look and use longish focal lengths for cars since if you go too wide it messes with the cars lines and the perspective distortion looks less pleasant.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I know that would be the ideal, they have a great reputation for having great image quality and the zoom range is perfect, but the yongnuo only costs a third of a second hand one looking at my local market. I've already ordered the yn before I posted, I'll just have to save my pennies if it leaves me wanting.