Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Well, there's optical vignetting that comes from the lens elements and then there's mechanical vignetting that comes from something blocking light from hitting the lens entirely. Lens hoods have to be designed in such a way so as to not cause mechanical vignetting. They're not the cause of optical vignetting.

Optical vignetting is the stuff you try and fix in post. You get mechanical vignetting and you're poo poo out of luck.

Also, this.

Project a square onto a cone and you'll get a petal shape, so you can have a much deeper petal hood than you can a solid conical hood, allowing you too block more light without producing vignetting. The only downsides of a petal hood are that they rotate with the front element, so you need a non-rotating element (which is good for a number of other reasons) and they could theoretically be more expensive to manufacture. I would guess that in practice their production cost is not significantly higher than a circular hood, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

RangerScum posted:

Yeah I was joking, but it's not just their low end bodies, it's their upper tier poo poo as well.

The D2h sitting on my desk begs to differ!
You've got to tell it what the max aperture is whenever you get a new lens though. It stores it by focal length.