Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Don't forget plug adapters for all your other gadgets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

No I only have a 50mm f/1.8. I was told that the kit lens is kind of a waste of space and not terribly good so I'd be better off just getting other lenses.

So my parents realize that DSLRs really take some sweet pictures. They also noticed that the 50mm makes the photographer stand really really far away. There's a trip to Taiwan in December and they want me to take pictures. They don't want me to fumble trying to get into the correct position to take pictures so they said they'd buy me a lens. I'm assuming these pictures will be groups of people inside and outdoors.

Before this trip I was originally thinking of just sticking with prime lenses because they're cheaper and the quality of the images are better. So getting prime in the wide angle range like around 15-20mm and then another prime for more of a telephoto range. Now that this trip is happening, should I just stick with getting a wide angle prime or go for a zoom lens that goes from around 15mm to 50mm? What is a better investment?

I'm thinking that they're willing to spend about 500 bucks on a lens. I'm also new to DSLR photography so I'm not quite sure what I'm going to end up taking pictures of. So far I've been taking outdoor shots of landscapes, nightshots with a tripod, and close up images of small things so a short focusing range could be useful.

Since you're just starting out, you'll want something versatile, that way you're not constantly changing lenses and carrying around a bunch of junk. Tamron 17-50 is $499 on Amazon right now with a $75 off MIR, and everyone here seems to like it!

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

I think I desperately want an Epson RD-1 :\

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

So buy one.

I am :ssh:

Anyone well versed in M mount lenses? I'm thinking of starting out with a 35 but all this summilux summicron stuff is new to me

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Reichstag posted:

It's the same mediocre sensor as the D100 fyi.

Yeah but it's such a sweet, unassuming little camera. The faux film advance lever makes me want to hug this adorable little thing.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

FasterThanLight posted:

Summilux just means f/1.4, and Summicron is f/2. Different versions of each lens will have different looks. The older 35mm Summiluxes are probably one of the more notable examples of "leica glow" which is a euphemism for coma/flare. The Voigtlander 35/1.4 has a very similar look (though with more distortion), but costs $1000-1500 less because it isn't a collector's item. Voigtlander 35/1.2 is impressive and well corrected, but it's huge. If you can find one, the old Voigtlander LTM 35/1.7 is a good compromise.

There are tons more options - the Voigtlander 35/2.5 is highly regarded, as are the Zeiss Biogons. Lots of older LTM lenses too.
Oh, neato, thanks! The f/2.5 Voigt looks nice and compact, plus it's not really a bother that it's slow since I'll have it at f/8 most of the time.

that Zeiss is pretty as heck though...

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Ehehehehehehe :mmmsmug:

Anyone else in the 2kool klub?

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Guys idk what the heck i'm doing :confused:

also pssssht

Cute as heck fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 28, 2012

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

rawrr posted:

Why not the sigma 8-16?

aka "The greatest ultra wide for a crop body ever."

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

ViewSonic VX2770Smh

holla holla budget ips for not a lot of $$$

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

The only good sensor is Portra, you weirdos.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

bobfather posted:

I use a Gordy's strap. Lots of customizability, and they're cheaper than the one you posted.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

I never got the whole "UV filter for protection" thing. Why drop $2000 on a lens only to immediately degrade the image quality with a piece of poo poo filter? That's like buying a Ferrari and immediately putting a hood mask on it.

Edit:

I had to out of curiosity.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Dren posted:

Is it just that no one wants a nikon 1 ?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Sigma 50 officially priced at $949 according to a B&H email my grandma got and forwarded to me along with a funny comic about president Barack Obama

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora..._Sigma-50mm-f14

Edit: Oh wait here's a DPR article http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...t&ref=title_0_0