Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So I've been out of the photography loop for quite some time now and I'm looking to upgrade my current setup, but I'm in a weird situation.

I've been using a Canon t1i since like 2010 or something and want to step up. I've got a crappy entry level 70-250mm lens, one of those nifty fifty things that I snagged for like $50, and the 18-55mm lens that came with the t1i body.

Here's the part that makes upgrading awkward for me - I've inherited a Nikon D5000 with a nice telephoto lens from my mom who decided she doesn't care about photography any more. The body is, as far as I can tell, pretty much just as out of date and in the same tier as the t1i, but the lens is a 70-300mm VR Nikkor which makes it the best lens I now own.

I'm looking to spend no more than $1500 CAD on a new body, but I'm not sure if I should commit to Nikon or Canon. I'm obviously more familiar with Canon, but if Nikon has better offerings in the same price bracket, I'm willing to jump in. I'll also be sellong off all of my extra equipment to fund the new purchase.

For some background, I mostly like to take wildlife photos, and have been wanting to get into landscape photography for some time. Bonus points if I can film at 60 fps.

So what should I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the responses. Given the feedback, I'm leaning towards the Nikon D7200 at the moment. It looks like it's one of the few bodies in my Canadian funbux price range as well.