Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
I ordered one just for giggles, will report back once it's here and I mess with it.

I bought it because the 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 are nonfocusing crap in low light conditions and I'm fantasizing that this lens will focus worth a drat in low light. if not, at least it's a great (imo) focal length on full frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Krelas posted:

I've used my friend's 5Dmk2 with the 17-40 and it blew me away, it's crazy sharp, he makes 30inch prints with it and they look great. Besides if you already have good filters at that thread size then I'd say it's a no brainer, using step down rings on a lens that wide would give you some awful vignetting.

17-40 is the best deal in L lenses by a large margin.

To me the extra stop isn't worth double the price and the big weight difference. Sure, it vignettes, which I like anyways and is a one click fix in lightroom if you don't.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Imma come to your house and beat you over the head with a 70-200/4

I do love that lens :) I just think the 17-40 is pretty special for the price. Buy both!!

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
Info starting to trickle out about the Sigma 35 1.4. Seems like a good lens. Still no autofocus info though which is my make or break feature for a fast prime. I don't care how sharp it is in the corners wide open!!

http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-35mm-f14-vs-Canon-35mm-f14-L

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
I have had the Sigma 35 1.4 for about two weeks now. It's absolutely brilliant so far.

The autofocus is excellent which was my main purchasing decision point. The autofocus motor is a *little* slow to move through the focal range but it acquires focus easily in very very dim conditions. It's SHARP as hell. The lens is also heavy as poo poo, about as heavy as my coworker's 24-70 II that he just bought. It's really chunky.

It's built very well, solid feel and a sleek exterior, matte black. More attractive than most of Canon's lenses overall. Focus ring is smooth but kinda tight, they always loosen over time.

It vingnettes which is a 1 clock fix in lightroom, so who cares. Color rendition is... interesting: Neutral-cold and creates an interesting mood in the photos which I tend to like so far.

Did I mention it's sharp? What's most bizarre is how sharp it is wide open, which I didn't expect. So far I'm very impressed and I don't see myself removing it from my camera for months.

Here's an example shot I just took to show the color rendition being "interesting".

Noreaster by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Also, at F11 and above it really flares in an interesting way, something to watch out for.

Collapse Inward by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can you comment on the manual-focus ergonomics? Is it focus-by-wire or mechanical? If the latter, is there much slop in the ring? I'd like a fast 35 at some point but it would also get used on manual-focus bodies.

Zero slop. It's tight and smooth, somewhat difficult to turn compared to for instance my Canon 17-40 which is very loose and has slack. Not nearly as awful as the 85 1.2 though :). Very large ergonomic area to hold so you can kinda pick how you are focusing based on hand placement on the lens. I have been zone focusing with it in the last day or so and messing with the manual focus so it's on my mind.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Google Butt posted:

Can you post those images before post processing?

Please tell me you did some work on those or I'm about to be very poor very soon :ohdear:

I only have the flickr images at the moment (not on my home machine), but yes they are post processed in lightroom. The contrast was adjusted on both, the shot of the lady had one reflection in the 'black' area that I cloned out after taking the shadows down to enhance the dark areas, and I popped the clarity slider a touch on both. I don't recall doing much sharpness adjustment. Also on the shot of the guy in front of the building there is a small adjustment brush dot on his face which brings the exposure up on his face by a stop or so to enhance its' visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
So I preordered a Ricoh GR sight unseen, anyone heard rumors about when they are shipping? Someone somewhere threw out week of the 13th but I haven't seen anything concrete anywhere.