Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Anyone ever buy a body at bargain grade from KEH? If so, was it beat to hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Yond Cassius posted:

KEH was bought out by a private equity group back in 2013 and hasn't been the same since. They're basically honest and their warranty is excellent, but their inspections are neither as conservative nor as thorough as they once were.

Ew. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: how about Adorama? What are the best used gear sites these days? I have national camera local in Minneapolis and I like them a lot, but their inventory doesn’t turn over very fast.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 29, 2020

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have kids ages 3 and 6. I’ve always been a photographer but haven’t taken a lot of video outside of iPhone. I’m looking to capture video memories at the next level. My phone is an iPhone 8, if it matters for reference. My stills are a Nikon D4 and D600. So I’m looking for:

Something that autofocuses and tracks fast moving objects with minimal effort in video.
Something where audio is adequate without an external mic (I’m not making the Snyder cut)
Something under $1500 with a lens (lenses)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance. I don’t post here often, but y’all have your poo poo together with camera stuff and I appreciate it.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 7, 2021

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

powderific posted:

Maybe a Sony zv1? Might not be exactly what you had in mind, but for family stuff something pocketable can be nice and it has a better than average mic built in.

Oh that looks like it might be pretty good fit.
Does it autofocus automatically? Like I don’t have to keep touching the screen to focus or anything?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I used to shoot a sigma 35 1.4 on my friend’s D600 and it was awful for auto focus. Now I have my own on a D4 and D500 and it’s great. So might be a body thing.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have a Godox V860ii-N (The Nikon one) and wireless trigger package.

If I buy a Fuji wireless trigger can I use the same flash?

I guess my question is about how interchangeable Godox stuff is amongst brands. Thanks, friends.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Awesome. Thank you.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I haven’t bought from KEH in years, but always had good experiences.

MPB was a nightmare last time I dealt with them. Sent me a broken lens described as excellent condition, didn’t respond to emails and I couldn’t get ahold of them by phone. Finally got a response after five days and when I sent it back it took a full two weeks after they received it to process a refund. Maybe it was just a bad month, but I’m done with them after seeing similar experiences reported online.

And I’ve had really good experiences with Roberts Camera (UsedPhotoPro) in Indianapolis.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have that flash with the remote trigger and I love it.

Anyone have a shutter remote trigger they like? I’m shootings Nikon if it matters. Not looking for anything expensive as I’m just dicking around with front yard bird photography.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 26, 2022

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
FYI to Fuji folk: The Fuji USA store has added some refurbished products. I saw this posted on Fujirumors so I assume they don’t always have this kind of selection, though I have never looked before.

https://fujifilm-x.registria.com/products_search/?se=refurb&utm_campaign=topsecret&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Edit: Turns out refurbished gear cannot be returned and doesn’t come with caps or hood. Probably not worth it after all.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 27, 2022

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

hope and vaseline posted:

yeah like, fuji has great iso performance for aps-c sensors (the x-trans 4 sensor can shoot capably at 12800 iso) and that's available in the x-e4 and the x-t30 which are around $850-900, and for $1k the x-s10 has IBIS which will benefit every prime you have that doesn't have stabilization

sorry to come off like a fuji salesperson but i'm just astounded at all the options there are at the $1-2k range now. i've been loading up my brand new x-t4 with a trio of sigma primes after selling my old canon stuff and i'm loving it

Fuji X-T30 with one of the F2 primes is the best camera ever for bringing a camera to an event when you don’t feel like carrying a camera.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

harperdc posted:

yep, sensor tech and capability is all much better with the mirrorless cameras, and in the case of the Canon R and Nikon Z mounts, there are native adapters for the EF and F mount respectively for all that old glass.

definitely don't buy a new DSLR, and if you really want to go down that path of madness, try and get a good deal on something very capable (eg like a Canon 7D II or 5D or similar).

there's zero point in looking at entry-level or prosumer DLSRs in 2022.

I’m not at all an expert on this so sorry if I’m talking out of my rear end, but aren’t most of the Nikon Z sensors just tweaked versions of existing DSLRs? Like the Z50 is the D500 sensor, the Z6 is the D750, etc. I feel like for most uses the photos would be comparable across the Nikon D and Z until the Z gets a little further down the road.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Am I the only one who prefers to shoot around 20-26 MP? It’s enough resolution for 99% of what I shoot and the workflow is so much faster. As long as I don’t need to crop a ton a 10-year-old 16 MP Nikon D4 is a great option for daily shooting

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have the Godox 860iii-N for Nikon.

If I buy the Fuji wireless transmitter can I use it with that flash?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Awesome. Thank you.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I bought a cheap lens from MPB last spring and it didn’t ship for two weeks despite the website claiming at the time that all orders placed by 4PM or so went out that day.

So right before it finally shipped I opened a PayPal dispute because they didn’t respond to my attempts to talk to them. In the end I got the lens about 18 days after I placed the order and they didn’t respond to the PayPal dispute, so I got a refund per PayPal policy. MPB never reached out to me to get the lens or the money back so I’m wondering if they aren’t very organized.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I had two good purchases from MPB in early 2021 and then two awful experiences in 2022. Their customer service is absolutely atrocious to work with. Weeks pass by with no response or refunds.

Looking around the Internet it seems that a lot of people think they have dropped off in quality this year.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Y’all are making me want to ditch my Wasabi batteries I use for backup situations. The price is just so hard to beat when I can get two for 1/5 the price of OEM.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
That’s good advice.

I am definitely not a professional lol

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Do you have a local camera shop? I would stop in and handle half a dozen bodies and talk to someone in person. IMO it will help her find something she wants to use vs a kit recommend by online strangers.

If not, I second a full-frame body and a 50mm. One option- Nikon Z5 has been a great deal, but could be “old” here in the coming months as new stuff is announced for 2023.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 5, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Hey I said go to a camera shop and try some in person

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Mega Comrade posted:

But cmon, the Nikon Z50 released with 2 lenses, now after 3 and a bit years it has...2 lenses. That's crap support and I say that as a lifelong Nikon user.

I’ve shot at least one Nikon DSLR since 2007 and I’ve never been less inspired by the brand. I have not yet made the jump to Nikon mirrorless for a few reasons, but the two main ones are it would cost me thousands out of pocket to switch (like how a basic nifty 50 went from $219 for F mount to $629 for the Z. Yikes.) and outside of the Z9, which costs a fortune, the body options are kinda boring. For example, where is a D500 equivalent?

So I sit in the Nikon DSLR La Brea Tar Pit and the camera I take with me most often is my little Fuji X-T30 with the pancake lens. It’s fun as hell and makes me want to take pictures. I haven’t felt that way about anything new from Nikon in a while, but I’m so invested in the system I don’t see myself leaving.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
It’s tempting to fully switch to Fuji, but I shoot a lot of my kids sports and some theater and the Nikon D5 setup that I have is hard to beat for those situations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Mega Comrade posted:

They also just announced the 26mm f2.8 pancake which is gonna be $499 (but does have a metal mount)

This is priced $100-200 too high, imo. Also $2,800 for the 85 1.2… wow. That’s a lot of dough for a one trick pony.

Maybe I’m just cheap. Though I think you nailed it that they are focusing on high margin products at the moment.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Just buy a Nikon D6. You’ll never miss a moving kid shot again.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
D500 owns and operates like a D5, but I don’t know if the image quality is a massive step up from the D5500. If you shoot a lot of sports and wildlife it’s absolutely worth it, imo. Otherwise maybe evaluate what you mainly shoot and upgrade accordingly.

I know the F mount is on its way out, but there is so much great used glass out there for lower prices every quarter. Still years of life left in the system is you don’t have to have the latest tech and don’t care about video.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Slotducks posted:

Hey I just upgraded from a D5600 to a D500 I think about a year ago? I primarily focused on Wildlife and managed to find a very low shutter count body and it's been quite a nice upgrade.

What do you focus on subject wise most? I don't regret buying the D500 for wildlife, but the autofocus stuff coming out now, and mirrorless quality of life stuff is really tempting me (though I'm probably locked in for 5 more years or so on this D500). In-body stabilization as well is pretty slick on those new fangled mirrorless units.

Isn’t the D500 still a step up on mirrorless for AF? I believe most sports shooting pros still use DSLRs because of the AF reliability. I’ve seen endless reviews say the Nikon mirrorless lineup AF was unreliable until the Z9 and the D6 is still more consistent in challenging settings.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I hear ya. I’ll snag a used Z9 in 2028.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I haven't read him lately but I liked when Ken Rockwell would say things like "the Nikon D40 takes better pictures than my D3S!" and subsequently ridiculous comparisons with every entry level Nikon DSLR.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Do you have to buy new? If so you won’t get much more beyond kits like that for $800 max. Seems like $1,000 is the new entry point which makes sense given time and inflation. I bought my Nikon D40 and 18-55 kit for $600 in 2007.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Random related story: back in like 2011 my friend worked at a high school that had Nikon D60 bodies but also a 200mm F2 that someone donated. Helluva combo to put $6,000 thicc lens on a $300 tiny body.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
KEH is running a “up to 15% off” sale on overstock items, but the few things I’ve looked at are only 2-4% off. I’m not sure about this strategy to move merch when they are already more expensive than many other used gear shops.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
National Camera Exchange in Minneapolis is great. They have an online shop with less selection than the big guys, but usually better prices. I’ve only gotten good stuff from them and returns are easy. And they have a legit 15-20% off used gear sale 2-3X a year.

Edit: Roberts Camera in Indianapolis is good, too. The used business is Used Photo Pro.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I really like Mpix. Great quality.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
There are approximately 1 billion X-T3s in used circulation right now if you want a great entry into Fujifilm.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

kazmeyer posted:

So, in the process of moving out of the apartment I shared with my brother (who passed away a few months ago) I found a box full of Mini DV tapes from his time in Roller Derby ages ago. I'd really like to get a look at these, but searching for some kind of a solution to view Mini DV right now is a loving nightmare (the keyword pops up everything from audio cassette players to shitbox SD-card $20 minicams). I don't know how prominently he's featured and there are a lot of tapes, which is keeping me from just sending the box off somewhere to get digitized. What's the least expensive and nightmarish way for me to be able to view these at this point in time?

I'm sorry that your brother passed. Hope you're doing OK.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Dumb question: are graduated ND filters meant to be handheld vs full ND shots that require a tripod for longer exposures? I’m traveling in the next year and want to prep for sunsets without a tripod.

Also, any graduated ND filter system people like? I’m thinking the rectangle over the lens type so I can adjust as much as possible. Or is it significantly cheaper to get a couple round filters and get similar results?

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 5, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Fuji X-T30 is about the same size as the X100 series cameras with a 27mm pancake lens.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
National Camera in Minneapolis has a used sale this week. They must be moving product fast because the number of available F-Mount lenses that I was looking at dropped by 20% overnight. Still, some good buys. A D850 in fair condition for under $1300 is a steal, I think?

It’s a reputable shop, in my experience.

https://www.natcam.com/product-category/used/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
800mm f/11 sounds so niche, but I no applaud canon for trying something like that. I wish Nikon and Fuji would be a bit more imaginative. Fuji doesn’t even make a 200 or 300mm f4.