Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just picked up a Polaroid OneStep Flash for real cheap, and upon reading about it learned that the battery is integrated into the film cartridge and needs to be replaced with every cartridge (usually 8 exposures :catstare:)

Has someone figured out a way to put a rechargeable battery in these things and just replace the actual photo paper (negatives? I dont know what to call them) each time? Does anyone make photo paper for these besides polaroid? The whole thing seems super wasteful and weirdly expensive to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I just picked up a Polaroid OneStep Flash for real cheap, and upon reading about it learned that the battery is integrated into the film cartridge and needs to be replaced with every cartridge (usually 8 exposures :catstare:)

Has someone figured out a way to put a rechargeable battery in these things and just replace the actual photo paper (negatives? I dont know what to call them) each time? Does anyone make photo paper for these besides polaroid? The whole thing seems super wasteful and weirdly expensive to me

Well, good news is that it works, and there is definitely something cool and satisfying about instant photography that is different than the instant-ness of digital photography

I still don’t know how I feel about the cost and wastefulness of it all though. I guess if I really fall in love I can maybe look at moving to instax. For now I have two cartridges to shoot through.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What are you shooting subject-wise? I feel like 50mm is too narrow lots of times and I’m eyeing a 28mm prime on ebay

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 22, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Am I misunderstanding mirrorless cameras or do they not have a shutter? I know some like the fujis have a mechanical leaf shutter, but I thought most didn’t?

At that point aren’t shutter activations just analogous to “number of reads from the sensor”?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I did not know that. I assumed it was just a bare sensor behind a lens and when you want to take a pic it just reads from the sensor.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've been shooting film for a couple of weeks on a Pentax ME Super. Its been going well (I think? I havent gotten any of my negatives back yet) and I've been enjoying the ME Super immensely.

However, the Pentax has broken me. I went back to my Canon EOS T3i today, and it is now nearly impossible for me to focus. The split circle focusing mechanism in the ME Super is so, SO good. The canon has nothing like that. I basically only have the back screen and a 5x or 10x zoom option for it. The problem is that the screen on the back isnt so great for starters, and its hard to see in daylight, and there is no in-body stabilization (I'm shooting with the Pentax lenses on it), making focusing a chore.

The T3i isnt long for this world though, and I'm considering replacing it with a Fujifilm X-E1, which I understand has focus peaking, the next best thing to an in-eyepiece focusing screen. Does anyone know if the Fuji does the focus peaking in the EVF? I'd rather not have to look at the back screen to focus at all anymore after being able to completely focus through the OVF on the ME Super.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cognac McCarthy posted:

From this article, it sounds like you can use it with the EVF or rear screen:

https://cameragroove.com/how-to-use-focus-peaking-on-the-fuji-x-e1/

That would match how the X-T2 works where the EVF and rear screen always (or pretty much always?) show the same information.

Awesome, thats what I was hoping for

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Big shout out to mpb.com. I bought a manfrotto 561HBDV monopod from them in “good” condition (it was the only one they had, so I had no other choice). It’s basically brand new. I can’t see any wear marks on it at all. I thought that “good” would have more wear, but I’m not gonna complain

also, this might be the nicest piece of camera gear I’ve ever owned. It’s super beefy and way overbuilt for what I’m gonna use it for, but that means it shouldn’t get too beat up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fujifilm x-e1?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, if you don’t want to shoot manual all the time (I.e. you need to choose iso, aperture and shutter speed each time you take a shot), it’s important. If you just want to be able to press a button and get a properly exposed picture, you need some sort of auto mode, or at least something like aperture priority

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

There are zero production digital cameras that are full manual what is this post

Someone said that the camera doesn’t have auto mode and my post is a response to OP’s question about if that’s important.

Not super confusing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah whenever I get GAS, I have to remind myself that I currently own a setup that I used to dream of and could in no way even think of affording when it was new.

There will always be something better coming out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The key to good moon pics is less about the camera, and more about the lens. Unless you’re rocking like 400mm+ in lens, the moon will always be a tiny little dot

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol Samsung is just straight up pasting a proper moon image over yours

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You don’t specifically have to get a canon one. There are others made by companies like Sigma and Tamron.

That being said though the canon 50mm lenses are really nice and usually cheap to boot

As was said, if you get an EF 50mm 1.8 (the “Nifty Fifty”), it will be more like an 80mm on the T5, so if that’s not what you want you need the EF-S version.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think I have what I'm gonna call GGAS (Goodwill Gear Acquisition Syndrome). I just cant pass on cool gear for cheap.

Today I picked up a Powershot SX260HS. Despite the warning on the box, the fact that it shoots 1080P video, has like a 500mm equivalent zoom and is in really good shape, sold me on spending the :10bux:

I grabbed a generic battery for $10 off amazon that should be here tomorrow. I'm hoping the dodgy screen is either a problem with the now missing original battery, not actually a problem, or a minor problem at best. I guess we'll see :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, the battery came from amazon, and the camera works! It does lose the image on the screen from time to time, as was helpfully scrawled on the box. It seems to be a cable losing connection maybe? The screen is still somewhat readable when it happens, it just goes very dark and seemingly super high contrast. Tapping on the body of the camera fixes it for a bit. Maybe I'll try opening it up and looking for loose connections.

The 500mm zoom and built-in IS are pretty nice though, I might take it out at night and do a little astrophotography with it. It also does this cool thing where when you do a half press of the shutter button, it pops up a little picture-in-picture window on the screen showing you a zoomed version of what you're looking at, to make sure you have the focus correctly set. It does this even in auto mode, which is a bit weird, but a welcome feature.

I know many cameras today do that, but I'm a bit surprised to find it in a P&S from 2012.

Overall, for :10bux: though, I cant complain.

E: apparently the screen issue is a very well known issue with this model of camera, and can be fixed by reseating the display cables, so I guess I'm digging in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELzJ9I1RIrQ

Double Edit: 5 minutes later and I've got the camera put back together and the screen problem seems to be fixed! Shout out to youtube and goodwill

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 29, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bought a K&F pro mist filter because drat are the tiffens expensive, and to my eyes they look pretty much the same.

Thinking about a tiffen smoque filter too, but they’re pricey and the knockoff brands like Neewer and K&F don’t seem to make them yet

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 5, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone know offhand what this tripod head is?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I literally never remember that google lens exists. Thank you though

E: Never loving mind, its $1500 lmao

Double edit: In an attempt to git gud at google lens, I installed this add-on for firefox since it doesnt have anything like that out of the box https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/search_by_image/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 9, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of us back here with ancient dslrs holding the horn up to our ear to hear you youngins

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

harperdc posted:

I spotted these a couple weeks back, and I know these early 5D/7Ds can be found real cheap, was batting around getting that 7D and finding a cheap-enough 70-200 L to make an economical sports shooting setup. Reading this thread now isn’t helping :ohdear:

As a 5D Classic-haver, I highly recommend it. Full-frame and pro-build quality at entry level used DSLR pricing? Yes please.

Also, I cant speak to the 7D, but the sensor in the 5D is wonderful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Good god, you inherited a camera whos first hit on google that isnt the main leica website is "Why is the Leica M10 so expensive?"

I have no advice for you, really, other than to say enjoy it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I love manual focusing and even as a beginner I would often run with AF off just to learn the process

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Manual focus is fun and you should do it. Or dont, who cares we're all just taking pictures of poo poo however we want, dont get mad about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Relatedly: I know this is a very, very long shot, but does anyone have a Canon EE-S focusing screen floating around that they'd like to part with? They are nowhere to be found on the used market. I do a lot of shooting with :siren: MANUAL FOCUS :siren: lenses, and the stock focusing screen is sort of lacking in that regard, and the lack of a live view makes it tougher

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I found this the other day and it’s pretty cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stare:

I am deeply impressed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

did the embargo lift on the Fuji X100VI today? My youtube feed is full of it this morning.

I checked my pockets, but I dont have a spare $1600 in them :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

18-50mm is kit range lens for a reason. Covers a lot of situations. You can just consciously start noting during or after taking photos what focal length you like. When I'm just not sure, I do my XF18-55mm f2.8.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve never been disappointed in lowepro stuff they seem to make really well built bags.

I have a Nova 1 bag with a delectable 90’s teal colorway that is great and in awesome shape for its age.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My kids have Nikon P&S cameras because as kids they just want to take pictures of the things they like.

I mean if your kid is honestly interested in the exposure triangle then more power to them because they probably have some good pictures coming their way, but in my experience most kids under teenage years aren’t interested in that stuff yet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone make a good rechargeable 2CR5? I see lots of listings for regular 2CR5's on amazon and a couple listed as rechargeable but when you dig in they actually arent rechargeable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess this is more gear than film because its entirely about a film camera and only a little about the film itself.

I picked up a Polaroid 900 Electric Eye. An early 1960's rangefinder camera that shoots (or shot, rather) peel-apart roll film.

Well, it did, until that film was discontinued. Then for a while you could shoot packfilm as well, until that was discontinued. So now most of them lay collecting dust in thrift shops and basements. A thrift shop is where I found this one. It was initially owned by the shop owners grandfather, and seems to be very well taken care of. Its in great shape, as are all of its accessories and its case

Initially it caught my interest because of its sheer size, when fully extended, bellows out, flapping in the wind, its massive!

The lightbox I'm taking pictures in doesnt really do it justice. Here it is next to my EOS 1, a camera that itself is known for being a beefy boy, especially with the battery grip on like mine.

This is to say nothing of the included flash unit :psypop:

It has what Polaroid called "Electric Eye", which was a metering system that varied both aperture and shutter speed based on the available light and the ISO currently set. Apparently this was a big deal upon the cameras release because most automatic systems of the time could vary the shutter speed, or the aperture, but not both. Naturally it runs on a weird mercury battery, but thankfully there are modern non-mercury based replacements for it. I'm sure I'll have some battery crud to clean out

The "Manual" mode really just lets you set exposure compensation. Shutter and aperture are still handled by the Electric Eye.

With the back open you can see the sort of two stage film loading process where the pull apart film went, and where it was spooled up initially. This camera did come with film in it, but it essentially turned to dust when I tried to advance a frame. The film was completely dry and delaminated, unfortunately

With the film plate open revelaing the bellows, it again shows how absolutely enormous it is

Mercifully the bellows still move and appear to have no light leaks

The viewfinder is coupled to the lens, and does some sort of weird double image thing where you have to line up the double images to focus it. Its a little bit like a split prism focusing screen, but it doesnt seem as precise or quick to use. This was apparently considered a quite good viewfinder back in the day :iiam:

So what am I doing with this old camera that shoots only dead film formats? Apparently you can convert these somewhat easily to shoot 120 film. The old takeup and spool areas in the camera are easily made to work as spool holders for 120 film with some 3D printed parts. The only real serious modification required is installing a winding knob in order to advance the film. Normally I would be hesitant about drilling a hole for a knob in a camera, but the chances of this ever shooting its original film are next to zero, so its not so bad.

The mod is helpfully laid out in this youtube by the person who created the 3D files

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sixckNPs1Po

So, long story short, I hope to get this ancient thrifted camera working again with a modern film stock so that I can shoot this enormous, awkward relic somewhere hilarious.

Oh, and also, the bag it came in? Holy poo poo :kiss: Beautiful. I dont normally gush over camera bags, but this is gorgeous in person. Even if this whole polaroid project falls apart, I'm keeping that bag

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it becomes quite wide, almost panoramic? 120 is shorter, height-wise than the pull apart film that the camera was intended for, and I think the image circle of the lens and the film plane are wider than your average 120 camera

This guy has one already converted and he has some demo shots that he took with it. Unfortunately his looks to have crap bellows because he shoots it in a dark bag

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5O8Q-8pKbY/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

big black turnout posted:

According to the store page he references, looks like about 6x14. That's pretty sick

https://filmphotographystore.com/products/adapter-122-to-120-film-adapter

Yeah, looks like it. That rules, I really hope I can make this work