Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh duh I see the buy/sell thread now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've been offered a 25% discount off MSRP on 'any' sigma lens due to Sigma not being able to fulfill a service obligation. I don't really need a lens right now so but what should I do? I could get something I guess but that would be a bit irresponsible. Is anything even worth 25% off MSRP to flip against street prices?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can fit my 17" MacBook Pro into a lot of '15.6' backpacks. My favorite being the case logic type with the 'camera' section at the top that can be fully divided out from the main bag. I can fit a full frame DSLR in that top camera pocket with a zoom lens so I rarely need the type that has the extra lens space that goes into the main compartment.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a bunch of F mount Nikon stuff I'd like to sell to upgrade to Z. What are good places online to sell that stuff other than eBay? Places to avoid?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
MBP is like KEH? I'm not selling direct to buyer I'm selling to a dealer?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I guess their pricing will be on par with KEH? I'm kinda old school with selling to people on forums and such. I just haven't done it in like 10yrs (buying yes, selling no).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So apparently Adorama puts all their used stuff on eBay as well as the main site. And there is a lag between when an eBay used item is sold and when its removed from inventory on the main site. So if a used item is sold on eBay and someone buys the same used item on the main site they will just send a new copy of the item for the main site purchase.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxvQANQjdoA

We have shutter priority at home

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol just picked up a (not micro) Four Thirds SLR for fun(Oly E-5) and lol this one Panasonic 25/1.4 lens is huge. I thought this system was supposed to have small lenses!

35/1.4 Fuji on the left (APS-C) and Panasonic 25/1.4 on the right (FourThirds).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
f- and (t-) stops can be thought of as a measure of the intensity of light hitting the sensor. ‘f-4’ will be the same ‘brightness’ of light coming out of the lens and hitting a sensor no matter the lens(maximum f) or format.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 8, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Fine bristle toothbrush and a new clean 1" paintbrush are great for exterior dust and grime. Also a can of compressed air is great for DSLRs but you have to be careful with it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Picked up a cheap E-5 for shits. Lol didn't realized (not micro)Four Thirds was such a small dead system. I'm primarily a Nikon DSLR person. This thing kinda works for me but not fully. Apparently there were no official Lightroom lens profiles for (not micro)Four Thirds lenses. And the system didn't support built in correction profiles that came later with mFT. A bunch of user created profiles exist(ed) but are no longer available. Adobe used to have a centralized server with user lens profiles you could just browse and download with an Adobe tool but they shut that down years ago.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I keep seeing cheap Sigma 135/1.8 pop up but I have so many other thing I want before that tho....

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sold some mint in box Nikon F lenses and boy did they not fetch much. I guess thems the market these days.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I ever find a cheap D6 in the next 5yr I’ll buy it just to have the last Nikon DSLR.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
IMO a good high quality prism viewfinder is still better to look through than the best EVF. Don’t get me wrong I want to see EVFs get better but it’s got a ways to go.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2028 is a good time for Z9.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'll use KR for some obscure technical nerd data point. For subjective photography thoughts, hard pass.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
whoops wrong thread

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 24, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone else pull off their lens rubbers and scrub them down good with hot water, soap and a toothbrush? Sometimes its the best way to get grime out without spending an eternity cleaning it attached to the lens.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
KEH is great when it works. I use it to get small replacement accessories mostly like original lens caps, hoods, straps. I just got an Olympus DSLR for $10 as-is but as far as I can tell its fully functional.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Roberts camera and Calagaz are active on eBay. Roberts usually accepts offers 5-7% below listing price via offers but if its a hot item you might not get a response to your offer before someone buys it. Calagaz is good you can just phone them up and offer 10% less than their ebay price and they'll PayPal invoice you with no tax charged.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just picked up an Olympus E-330 for a song and I have to say they were quite insane back in the early digital days.

That diagram doesn't even show the sub mirror for the AF module. Just mirrors and prisms everywhere.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 10, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Huh is that just to get the vf off-axis from the lens mount? Reminds me of the og Olympus Pen SLR’s.. but why do it like that in the E-330?

It’s to not use a traditional pentaprism to erect the image. There’s so much going on with the e-330 you should just read the DPR article on it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

japtor posted:

...:aaaaa: how did I not know about this until right now. Well I mean I knew the camera sensors could see a little bit of IR like you say, but somehow never thought or heard of using IR filters and long exposure.

That's how people did digital IR before they figured out how to rip off the IR cut filters. I need to get rid of 2 deep IR converted Nikons if anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
IR is great