Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh gross, the 3K doesn’t come with an arca-compatible mount in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty.

I guess I can do the 3K body only and order a low profile ball head off Amazon.

What I’ll do is probably check one out in-store and decide then. Alternately just wait until I’m in Japan and buy one there if I really really need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh that’s so chintzy it hurts :q:

E: Fondled one at the LCS and ended up picking up the body only. Will find a sufficiently cheap ball head to hold up ~3lbs which will, hopefully, not set me back a fortune.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 30, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

YouTube won't stop putting Jared Polin videos in my recommended feed so this discussion is suddenly very relevant.

You click on one Nikon Z review and you're damned for life.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hate having money so I'm a PD household now :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

Just stop loving around buying dozens of bags and get the good one from the start, the billingham hadley whatever. By spending more money, youre spending less money.

I've fully subscribed to the "buy once cry once" philosophy. My last ten years have been a wasteland of compromise projects leading to nothing but frustration. Not just photography, but basically every hobby I touch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Ellie PD l-bracket from 3leggedthing? I want something lightweight I can toss on my A7iii which will interface with both my peak design capture clip as well as my arca tripod head. The Ellie PD seems to be the only thing coming up on google and I'm happy enough to buy it and try it, but I'm wondering about the construction on the side with the visible gap for (??) cable purposes I guess (??) -- I'm guessing it's strong enough aluminum that compressing that side with an arca plate wouldn't really deform it, but in the back of my head I'm worried, even though I never actually crank down on my mounts.

Articulated that terribly, I'm still waiting for my first coffee of the day, but hopefully the rambling question makes some sense.

Alternately, any other L brackets I should be looking at? Peak Design capture clip compatibility is really the must-have feature, as I can wrangle my tripod into portrait mode without the L-bracket if it comes down to it. SmallRig is an option but I think it probably adds too much bulk to the bottom of the camera that I wouldn't ever need.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nah, I never hook things up to the camera typically. I mean more that there's a break in the bracket that I worry would get bent over time when repeatedly tightened in an arca mount.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All good info, thanks guys. Yeah, I'm more married to PD than I am to the L mount but in the end as long as the mount provides an additional tripod mount hole underneath for me to mount PD's own adapter to, I can have the best of both worlds. I'll check to see if the RRS L's provide this hole.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really wanted to buy a printer that I could convert to use piezography inks as I mainly shoot in B&W, but then I realized that I am poo poo at photography and post processing and investing money in that will figuratively be cash thrown into the wind.

I'm seeing plenty of Canon Pro 100s locally for like $1-200 that I might take a stab at, just to dip my toes in as I've been wanting to frame and hang some shots for a while, and it would be much more rewarding to be able to churn out a test print here and there rather than send away to a studio to print only to realize I don't like the way I toned or adjusted XYZ.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I decided to keep my XPro1 but turn it into my quick street snapshot baggable camera. Going to replace the 35 1.4 with the 27 2.8 for that extra little bit of convenience. AF performance on the camera itself is nothing to write home about but if I keep it on f/8 or f/11 and fixed focus I should be able to get some of the snaps I come across.

Mainly I just don’t want to use my A7iii as a daily walk-around beater box. And the 24-105 is.... slightly less than pocketable if I don’t wear my JNCOs

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bought the leash and wrist strap. I unashamedly love PD stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My AmazonBasics tripod was like $80 and I remember it being mostly perfectly fine for anything I'd do with it. It didn't seem unreasonably heavy but I also had no real frame of reference by virtue of never holding CF tripods before. I think the only thing I found somewhat limiting was that the legs only extended to three predefined angles, and there was no "low" mode I could engage. But I mean, price to performance seemed really good otherwise.

Even came with a pretty usable ballhead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The PD leash is so much better for mirrorless than the chonky neck strap. Just threw the leash on my a7iii, the thin wrist strap on my beater xpro1 and the chonk-o-matic neck strap is getting relegated to my D610 and other big rear end film SLRs.

I love the wrist strap so much that I took advantage of the sale to buy a second one to throw in my bag just in case I want to wrist the a7iii

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can someone recommend a low profile ballhead to put on a gorillapod 3K which will take a Peak Design capture plate (which itself I believe is arca standard)? I was just given a spare 3K but it has the crap latched plate that is itself damaged.

Will hold an A7iii + 24-105 f4 max.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome thanks, I'll do some quick research but I'm fine to go first-party.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is SFX 64bit on Mac? Wondering if the old version will still work on current MacOS given that they've removed 32bit executable support.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just looked up the price of an OEM Sony FE 12-24 f/4 and choked on my drink.

Then I looked up the price on the same in f/2.8 and thank god I already put the drink down.

I think my dream of owning all first party lenses is D E A D. Thank god the 24-105 f4 is a killer deal on amazing glass.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely take a look at some modern MILC before you write them off for viewfinders, but also make sure that before you write off a MILC viewfinder you adjust it. I was really unimpressed with my A7iii's EVF until I changed a few settings and got it to look much less contrasty. I'm pretty sure I'm EVF for life now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only annoyance I had with EVF was an in-studio sshoot on Manual — totally forgot that WYSIWYG is a two edged sword if you’re calculating exposure based on external flash instead of always-on illumination.

There are ways around that and I figured it out but I haven’t done any studio shooting in months so I’ll be danged if I remember what it was I did and whether I’ll have to re-learn it next time I step behind some speedlights.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What’s the feeling around Canon’s inkjet line for photo printing? I am strongly avoiding Epson because of their firmware third party cartridge lockout and, while I don’t necessarily plan to use third party ink to print good looking photos, I’d rather not reward their behaviour with my business.

So something like a PRO-100? Or would that be too basic? I honestly don’t know what makes a good photo printer and I’m kind of in the “buy once cry once” mindset with a photo printer I won’t be selling at some point to get something “better”.

I’d like to not be limited to standard letter paper width, though I don’t see myself printing anything larger than 11x14, plus or minus, so I don’t think I need anything super wide format.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Great info, thank you!

Just wanted to make sure they’re not absolute trash. I don’t want to give Epson my money but I also don’t really want to cut off my nose to spite my face :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just trying to vote with my dollars in my declining years

Martytoof posted:

I am strongly avoiding Epson because of their firmware third party cartridge lockout and, while I don’t necessarily plan to use third party ink to print good looking photos, I’d rather not reward their behaviour with my business.

They essentially retroactively locked out third party ink cartirdges via a firmware update a few years ago.

It's an insignificant gesture given that millions will buy Epson, and maybe there's equally crappy stuff Canon has done that I just didn't research, but my small attempt anyway :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I don’t expect them to make the refill process easy, but I can go on Amazon and buy a full set of ink cartridges for the 100 for $30. I can do the same for my Epson printer but every vendor has a warning to not upgrade your firmware or the ink cartridges they supply won’t work.

Anyway, I think I got the answers I need. No real stock of Pro-100s on Kijiji or craigslist right now, but I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, get a dome/diffuser, aim it up and that would be probably be really beneficial.

As a black pet-haver I know the pain :smith:

Usable photos of my golden retriever: All of them
Usable photos of my black lab mix: None of them

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey so speaking of astrophotography, is attempting to de-fish a fisheye wide a fool's errand? Or would it be expected to produce some usable results?

Obviously would lose data at the edges where you have to trim and crop the photo; I'm more thinking about smearing stars and such as you warp the very fabric of space and time in the photo itself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sensible. I do have access to a fisheye 8mm 2.8 so I might go give this a try next spring/summer when it’s not negative-cold out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was going to come in and pimp the PD despite the plastic clip (which I agree is a bit big) only because I love having a way to go from wrist strap to neck strap. Also have PD loops on all my cameras, MF, 35mm, and digital, so I really only own 3 straps. Thick and thin neck, and wrist. The large plastic clip notwithstanding I never really had many issues with the whole setup.

There are definitely smaller and more compact options though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you can invest in a handful of small chicago screws, it’s also good beginner DIY leatherworking territory. Just get one of those keychain D-rings, cut yourself a strip of leather from an old belt or something sufficiently thin, and put it together to your size preference

I’m no artist but something like:

I did this once and it looked pretty good and held up well and you can make it as large or compact as you like. Depending on how small you make it you might move from chicago screws to thinner staples I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Much as I’m not a fan of them, you might want to ask an Alpha specific community — maybe r/SonyAlpha? Suspect you’ll probably get a higher hit rate for that model.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

French Canadian posted:

I'm a scrub tier photographer and I figure much eyerolling is occurring but I am very emotionally attached to the idea of having an X-series camera.

I don’t have any insight into these cameras but (IMO) don’t let anyone tell you that an emotional attachment isn’t a reason for choosing one camera type over another. Ultimately you shoot photos with the camera you have, and if one is going to inspire you to pick it up versus something you feel lukewarm about, well then that’s the right camera for you :)

My X-Pro1 was my “gut feel” camera and I had so many great years with it, even if it was already old and tired by the time I picked it up.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 24, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Please don’t give scammers your money.

Send it to me instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That PD update looks more like a PD knockoff than most PD knockoffs do.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love my PD sling and the only negative I have against it is that with just my A7iii and 24-105 and gorillapod it's enough that the strap eats into my shoulder after an hour or two of walking, and when I was on vacation with my big Nikon DSLR and fat 80-200 2.8 AND iPad AND batteries AND wifi hotspot it was basically murder. I solved that with one of those velcro gel wraps you can get to relieve pressure points that I picked up at a Tokyo department store and it seemed to do the trick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you bouncing the flash off the ceiling? Would probably look much better diffused.

Are you running matrix metering? I'm wondering what differences you'd see if you changed to spot metering for the machines, if not already.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 20, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Huh weird, just really shiny everything then :[

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the Fuji 35 f/2 a downgrade from the 1.4 other than the obvious higher max aperture? I have an old Xpro1 with a 35 1.4 that I haven't used in literally like, three or four years, thinking of unloading it. The Xpro1 is near worthless (in its condition I mean, still usable just dinged and with a dead internal capacitor or whatever) but the 35 1.4 is arguably still incredibly competent.

I guess what this boils down to, I haven't used it in almost half a decade, I have an A7iii and a Sony lineup that I'm dumping money into but I still can't bring myself to sell it "in case" I decide to give Fuji another kick, but ultimately I could probably drop this on the market and make a buck and then grab an F/2 for a lot less if I get the bug again.

Honestly after I typed that out I'm not really sure what my point is. I guess it's the first thing I asked -- is there any significant IQ downgrade from the f/1.4 to the f/2?

I should just sell it and forget I ever had it, this is borderline hoarder behaviour :|

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Book recommendations or YouTube series for a younger camera user. Like 'the exposure triangle for dummies? '

How young? Like I'm not a YouTube generation kid but I think Understanding Exposure is just the right amount of "wordy" to "show-y". It has a lot of visual examples and isn't super super super verbose.

When I was still going through YouTube camera stuff I did like this channel for their explanations: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkJEEIifDzR_2K2p9tnwYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWfdxE1om6A

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 10, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah yeah so that’s probably not it. Good call though, I guess it would be super cool to have content to bring up a new generation of photographers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's been ages since I did any research on photo stuff, but as we start to get back into travel slowly I'm getting ready to rectify my lack of a compact travel tripod.

So obviously if I threw out the phrase "travel tripod" I guess my goals will be to reduce weight and size but still have a workable, usable tripod that can be deployed somewhat flexibly.

I'm FIRMLY in the Peak Design ecosystem with the bags, slings, clips and the adapters and all, but there is very very very little chance I am going to drop seven hundred Canadian dollars on their carbon travel tripod.

So I guess I mean I can google search for "best travel tripods" but I'm wondering if there's any diamonds in the rough I should focus on. I'm shooting with an A7ii with my current heaviest lens being the 24-105/4 but I could expand that to the 70-200s or a fat glass prime at some point.

I don't really have a "budget", per se, but my sticker shock tends to show up at $500+ Canadian funbucks. I say that not to limit the price to under 500 because I don't particularly want to sacrifice weight or size for savings, if that's what a good travel tripod really costs, but obviously no one wants to spend more than they have to. And I mean when we get to $700 for the top of the line PD carbon tripod I really start to weigh a little shoulder soreness vs just buying the aluminum version, at which point I'm compromising anyway so I might as well see what else is out there.

Other than the size, I guess the only thing it HAS to have is an arca head since I'm going to be using it with the Peak clip plate which is arca compat for the most part. So it would be awesome if whatever I get just had arca built in, otherwise now I have to look for a light arca ball head that doesn't completely suck and isn't super heavy.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're hiking, have you considered a mirrorless setup such as one of the Fuji bodies? Potentially lighter weight (though I am certainly ready to believe that the entry level DSLRs have shaved weight down to be comparable) and smaller form factors by eliminating mirrors and prisms, still a good selection of lenses, and since it seems like you're OK with a crop sensor then your options aren't necessarily prohibitively expensive. Lens lineups tend to be really good on the Fuji side, there's a really wide userbase for support, etc.

Just throwing that out there as an option.

I honestly don't know what prices are 1:1 since I haven't looked in a while, but form factor might be a good tradeoff if you're looking to go light for the trail. Something like XE-2 or XT-200 may fit the bill?

I was really pleased with my old XE-1 and XPro-1 (other than the archaic slow viewfinders of the time) and I really only moved to Sony because I had money to throw around at the time and wanted to dabble in full frame. If I hadn't, I would probably still be on the fuji train after I ditched Nikon DSLR myself.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 20, 2022