Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Dudebro posted:

The first one is more expensive, but the only difference is the product name has "thin" in it the EXC+. The descriptions are the same. Seems like a listing error or something, but I strangely feel safer getting the one that's closer to the Amazon price. I only see one version on the Marumi website.

The cheaper one says it was returned by a customer. I assume the other is new/unopened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I just had a ton of gear stolen from my car, and I could use a small favor. I'm attempting to gather a list of serial numbers of the missing items for police reports, insurance claims, etc., but I'm missing a few. Would anybody with a Sony NEX-3 mind comparing the sticker on the box with the serial number on the camera, to confirm which of these numbers (if any) is the actual serial number?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Beastruction posted:

From a Walkman FAQ but the sticker on the box and the serial number format is the same on my 5N
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/faq/394799

Fantastic, thank you much!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

spog posted:

That sucks. Is the insurance going to cover it?
Hopefully, adjuster is supposed to get back to me today. I guess now that I'm no longer "invested" in the Leica system, I can actually move to some system that I can afford, and I don't have to worry about my lenses going to waste!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Wow, apparently my homeowners insurance is going to offer to either replace my stolen old Leica gear with brand new stuff from B&H, or give a payout based on depreciated values. Still waiting for the replacement list, but from what they told me on the phone, I'm guessing that means I'll end up with a new M7 to replace my 50 year old M2. I almost feel guilty accepting it.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Legdiian posted:

If insurance worked like this, nobody would have insurance.
Yeah, I made a larger claim years ago and my rates only went up a couple hundred dollars a year. I'm sure my rates will go up some, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I suggest you get the "other" M7, the Mamiya 7. The lenses'll blow your Leica stuff out of the water, it's a rangefinder so it's a similar idea, and oh god I want one so bad please live vicariously for me :smith:
That's a good thought, I'll have to see how strict they are with the direct replacement thing. The Mamiya is less expensive, which I'm sure they would like.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

FYI after handling a real life Leica M3 I now have the Leica lust.

Don't be me, kids.

I am attempting to fill this void with cheap soviet Leica III knockoffs but somehow I doubt this will work.
joinnnn us

It's terrible, everything else just feels clunky :(-:10bux:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Yeah, even the Kodak DCS full frame cameras whose sensors were useless above ISO 200 were still selling for $400-500 last I checked, so I can't imagine the 5D could drop much lower anytime soon.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The 70-210 f/4 is surprisingly good wide open, but the AF is pretty slow (even by screw drive AF standards). Still a really great bargain at under $200 IMO.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There is also a non-push-pull AF-D version, which typically sells for $700-900.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of wide-angle primes for APS-C DSLRs at this point. If you like primes, a 24mm would be a decent compromise - it gives you a ~35mm equivalent field of view, which is a very popular normal-wide/all-purpose length. But I'd see if I can pair that with a ultra-wide zoom if possible - IMO, a wide zoom, 24, and 50 would be a pretty good kit.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Cute as heck posted:

I am :ssh:

Anyone well versed in M mount lenses? I'm thinking of starting out with a 35 but all this summilux summicron stuff is new to me
Summilux just means f/1.4, and Summicron is f/2. Different versions of each lens will have different looks. The older 35mm Summiluxes are probably one of the more notable examples of "leica glow" which is a euphemism for coma/flare. The Voigtlander 35/1.4 has a very similar look (though with more distortion), but costs $1000-1500 less because it isn't a collector's item. Voigtlander 35/1.2 is impressive and well corrected, but it's huge. If you can find one, the old Voigtlander LTM 35/1.7 is a good compromise.

There are tons more options - the Voigtlander 35/2.5 is highly regarded, as are the Zeiss Biogons. Lots of older LTM lenses too.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

39mm ought to be enough for anybody.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I hope the GRD-V is available in professional purple.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

I guess I am on the other end of your spectrum. I do enjoy the 2.8 zooms very much. I was playing with a friend's 50mm for portraits and not being able to zoom was bothering me to no end. I was constantly zooming with my feet. Though I suppose a crop would be just as effective, now that I think about it. Also, L zooms are great if you want to carry the minimum amount of lenses or aren't sure what you might need. I don't know, I don't have enough experience with primes to see it from a different perspective.

I find it easier to just move myself than to have another control to deal with. Hands change camera settings, rest of my body deals with framing.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I have a broken Nikon 80-200 push pull that works great as a piss jug. Too bad keh got rid of their as is section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Helicity posted:

Buy something like a Leica with a nice solid tank-like body and just club anybody that comes near you with it.

On a related note, after shooting with my 15mm Voigtlander for a few weeks and playing with a 35mm the other day, I'm ashamed to admit that I'm thinking if I ever wanted to shoot film and keep those lenses an older Leica like an M3 wouldn't be a bad idea :ohdear:

Get an MD, at 15mm you can just use hyperfocal distance and there's no rangefinder to get knocked out of alignment when you clobber people with the camera.