Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unless the hood's designed for it (with a cutout so you can reach the thread) using a CPL with a deep hood is an exercise in frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, I really do not get why other manufacturers have not done this.
Patented hole technology!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lenstip has a review up for the new Sigma 35/1.4. It's basically the best fast 35 they've tested this far, which says quite a bit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I think DJExile was pretty much propping up Olympus' SLR division on his own, so yeah.

Their mirrorless bodies own and there's a mirrorless thread I guess!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Modern EVFs are fine, especially compared to cheap SLRs' pentamirrors.

The EPL's are good cameras, if you're into the physical format.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's still a very good camera yeah.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have a couple of 24 inches dells but I use an 27 iMac to edit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My 24 inches are loving old, and the extra res on the 27 really helps. LR needs a stupid amount of UI real estate. I don't know if I'm vain enough to get an ACD for the mac yet.

The one thing that aggravates the poo poo out of me is the glass reflectiveness; I might just get a newer mac instead of the ACD.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why'd you want a 5D over your NEX?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also, room for all the loving UI elements.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Because there's something wrong/missing/can-be-improved with the previous version. I have the HSM II and it's more than serviceable. The corners suck on FX, but on a pentax mount you don't have to worry about that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Marumi super DHG, and dunno.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

StarkingBarfish posted:

Hi all, not sure if this should be in the Nikon thread or over here, apologies if I got it wrong.

I've been given a D5100 as a Christmas present. It has the kit 18-55mm on it and I'd like to get a versatile prime for it. I'm looking at the moment at a few options, but as I'm new to SLR I'd like to solicit some advice.

Here's my thoughts so far:

35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX: Cheap, but no aperture ring
50mm f/1.8D AF: Dirt cheap, won't autofocus on D5100 but aperture ring
35mm f/2.0D AF: Expensive, won't autofocus on D5100 but aperture ring and maybe better at 1.5x crop for portraits

I had a look for sigma/tamron primes but found nothing in my budget or in the 35-50mm range.

The reason I'm looking at lenses with aperture rings and slightly less bothered about AF on the D5100 is twofold:
I want to do some macro shooting on a budget, so cheap (no electronic passthrough) tubes are a possibility, and I like the idea of forcing myself to manually set aperture and focus in order to learn a bit. That second reason might not be a very good one though, so if you think I'm better off going for the DX lens and passthrough tubes I'll listen.

With the non-DX lenses listed, I'll still get metering, just no auto aperture/focus, right?
For the price difference between a 35/1.8 and others, you could get tubes with electronics. But if you want to do macro I'd just get a used 90/2.8. Brand doesn't matter too much.
There's the Sigma 30/1.4 too, they just put out an updated version (don't know how good it is).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Get a Tamron 70-300 VC
Basically this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

StarkingBarfish posted:

http://dx.com/p/flucard-sd-memory-card-w-wi-fi-for-camera-white-4gb-162942

That's the 4GB version for $44. The 16GB is only a little over $100... I might get one with my next dx shop, but for me it isn't so much of a problem to swap SD cards out.
Finally a use for my camera's second card slot! With an adapter I could put that in and dump small jpegs to pick up from my phone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lenscoat makes some body covers too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DPR tested the Sigma 35/1.4 and it's stomping on the first party options. If the new 30/1.4 is just as good it should be a decent option for folks with APS-C cameras.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Well what do you want to shoot?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd probably get a 35/2 IS, an UW zoom of your preference, and a 70-200/4 IS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I picked up the Tamron 70-300mm the other day based on this thread's recommendations and absolutely adore it but I've noticed my D3100's battery life took a major poo poo. Does this lens (at least compared to the kit, fixed 50 and 50-200) suck up that much more juice or is it time for a new battery?
Bigger glass elements need beefier motors to move them around. VC also needs to spin a gyro and move the floating group around, which also takes energy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And that 35/1.8 on a DSLR will be pretty close to the 50 you have. You can keep the 50 for portraits (or buy an autofocus 50 for ~$100).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah if you import to DNG it's not like file transfer is a major part of importing time. I really wish LR import wasn't all sequential.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pseudonordic posted:

Is there any benefit to DNG? I just copy my RAW files to their destination from my card via reader with a batch script then import them into the correct catalog in LR.
When your camera maker of choice goes bust you can still use current software to look at your lovely pictures from 20 years ago.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

With camera manufacturers getting into RF it was only a question of when. If they're as reliable as their NonTTL transceivers it's a super deal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

I shoot primes so that I can be smug as gently caress to zoomhavers.
I shoot a prime because I'm lazy. 900g 24-70/2.8 vs 180g 50/1.8, why yes I'll take prime how did you guess?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SybilVimes posted:

I shoot whatever, because I have a good tripod :smug:
Haven't carried one of those in years.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The only people I can see buying it are fx Nikon users. Canon has a 35/2 IS, Nikon has a 35/1.8 dx.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

Also the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is about the same price as the Canon 35mm f2.
I thought the 35/2 was like $600 and the sigma 1k. Turns out they're both ~900.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And the first party 1.4 are not actually that good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What primes do you want?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Put jpegs on your phone?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's APS-C but yeah it's awesome. Wife would love it on her rebel, now she carries a kit and a prime everywhere with it. The problem is always going to be size/weight though: 17 elements and 72mm, and >800 grams is pretty hardcore (no far off what a 24-70/2.8 weights now).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 18, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Huh? Is there a USB-based docking station for Sigma lenses now? What information would be stored or updated on the lens, rather than in the camera body? Or is this a bit of software, a virtual "dock", for when you have your camera (wearing the Sigma lens) attached to your computer via USB cable?
The 35/1.4 is the first one that could plug on it. You can adjust focus speed and a bunch of other poo poo. It's a hardware dock with a mount and USB.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ethanfr0me posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Nikon D7100 as my first DSLR. Is the kit lens worth getting or should I just get the body + 1.8 50mm Nikkor lens for around the same price.
Get a 35/1.8 and the cheap (18-55) kit instead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've been using my 50 almost exclusively on the d800. Owns.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The same improvements would apply to APS-C sensor production too, presumably :laugh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Musket posted:

The next big breakthrough will be a Mirrorless FF sensor with Nikon J1 AF speeds (believe it or not, its fast as hell).
Yeah I'd own one if the sensor wasn't ridiculous. The AF speed and lagless VF are really impressive, it's really fun to shoot. The problem of course is the lack of cool glass and P&S-user oriented firmware. On top of the sensor.

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's a complaint I don't understand. Everyone seemed relatively OK with the AF in the 5D MkII. The 6D's one is more sensible and brings two more points. I know about the D600, but the 6D is still better than the previous pro-flagship.
It's an incremental upgrade to a passable system, when everyone knows they could have just dumped the 7D module in there. They deserve the flack.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 7, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Claw Massage posted:

I'm a noob but the center point on the 6d has worked just fine for me when combined with back button focus.
You do realize this works well on pretty much any DSLR sold in the last 15 years? It's not exactly flexible though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Musket posted:

You also could just half-press, recompose, then shoot.
Back button is useful because you don't have to go through half press to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Nikon 1 and a loupe!