Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A tool that changes shape and direction of the light output, like a soft box, or a grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What's a good thing for keeping a (smaller mirrorless or 35mm slr) camera strapped to you and ready to go, but "safe" while riding a bike? I've been out riding with a camera a few times now with a promaster swift strap + shortened regular neck strap providing a three-point support system for my em10 / FE2, but it still hangs a little loose and I look, frankly, like an idiot wearing it. Also since the swift strap attaches to the tripod mount on the underside of the camera, it causes it to hang slightly downwards, although the neck strap keeps it from hanging upside down. This is a ridiculous setup, but I don't know what to buy instead. Please help.
2 point sling with a quick adjust. Move the body onto your back and tighten the sling, it won't move. When you want to shoot loosen the sling and the body will come down to you side.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Helicity posted:

Ugh. Debating if I should return it or try to fix it. I was able to get it to turn one direction a few times, but now it's stuck at 6400.
Sounds busted. I just tried mine and its 100% fine with the prism on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Either is fine. VC buys you a couple stops at the price of a little sharpness.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're going to take that on a hike exactly one time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Marumis are problematic so probably

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bromine posted:

I was wondering what suggestions you guys had for an external flash. I have a D5200, but obviously the on-board flash is garbage. I want to take pictures indoors that don't look terrible by default. I want something somewhat versatile so I can keep using it the more I get into photography. Are there any third party manufacturers that make something worth buying? I can spend 200-300 bucks without feeling too guilty about it.
Get a 35/1.8 instead. If you want artificial light to not look like doodoo, you need a modifier, and at that point the light source will be 3 times the size of your camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Put a 35/2 on that APS-C DLSR and go to town. You do *not* want to be lugging a FX body with fast zoomy glass on a trip abroad, believe you me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

Sorry yeah i should have been more clear. My sister will be living abroad for 6 months, in the same location. The photography she will be doing will be done around the area she lives, and occasionally some shorter sightseeing excursions.
Then your body with a fast prime and a normal zoom will be great

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RX1r 2?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

I am having a bit of buyer's remorse for my D3300, which I learned doesn't have an AF screw. I was considering replacing the body with a D7100 -or- jumping manufacturers and picking up a Pentax K-70. I only have the Nikon kit and a 35 prime so replacing lenses would not be much of a big deal.
Shoot more loving pictures. The problem isn't the camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a really good body if you want a crop DSLR

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Drive modes, shutter specs (speed and durability), metering sophistication, size, etc. Literally the same thing they use now on top of sensor specs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's exactly what's going to happen

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on the plastic

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

Don't give Really Right Stuff your money. https://www.flickr.com/groups/865962@N20/discuss/72157612473243424/

Kirk is made in America and their stuff is just as good. Definitely better than Manfrotto, which is not to say you'll regret getting a Manfrotto.
This a million times.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah, already running it from a SSD, well the software itself as well as the catalog. The photos are on a HDD. I guess i really should move those to a SSD as well but i don't want to buy a 2 TB SSD, that is still very expensive. I need to get better at deleting photos.

xzzy posted:

My workaround for the small SSD issue is to import into a new catalog on the SSD, keep the photos there until I've filtered rated and edited, then import into my main catalog living on an HDD.

Lightroom is actually a very good asset manager in this regard and it's about as painless a process as it could be.

Just make sure to click any boxes asking if it should move the originals and browse to your catalog to confirm.
My dudes, you can move the loving files from within LR, in the same catalog. Always import to a fast scratch system and do the initial editing there, then move to HDD once you're done.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is that a legit holo just a reflex dot?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

it's... just a basic red dot. maybe i'm missing what specifically a holo sight is.
The square optics mostly. You can also magnify a holo without the reticle magnifying, but that's not useful outside of firearm-oriented sights.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Everyone+dog makes normal zooms, read some reviews and pick your poison. Also if you're on a full size canon sensor I can't recommend the 35/2 IS enough.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Your cell phone?
Nah. 1/23 is pentax Q size. Gopro hero too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it were my money it’d be the tamron or the 35/1.8. I’ve liked every tamron lens I’ve used. The Nikon is just passable, but cheap and light.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dakana posted:

When my wife and I spent two weeks in Europe (Austria, Italy, Paris, and London), I brought my 6D, 17-35, and 50 1.8. I used the hell out of the 17-35, especially at the extreme wide end. It's roughly equivalent to a 10-22 on a crop body. I'd really suggest looking into it.
I used a 17–35mm on my d800 when I spent 2 weeks in italy and it was guhrrrrreat.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just carry a wide angle adapter and shoot HDR on your phone?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get a battery relocator. At -20c they’ve got zero power.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah the motors DGAF about the cold but the grease definitely does.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That old one looks way overkill wrt thickness but I’d like to see doubled up hardware at the end loops if it were my camera hanging off of it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Marumi super dhg

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I dunno about their camera bags but I use thinktanks for my multirotors and they’re pretty great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

would like something that's more forest friendly too.
as in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've never had the need for it, but why would you want a remote that has intervalometer functionality if the body offers this?

I'm happy with a locking shutter remote for long exposures and messing around with bracketing. If I needed interval stuff I'd leave it to the firmware functionality.
So you can install the body soemwhere and use the remote for settings.