Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just a quick review for the new thread - I just bought a Nikon DX AF-S 50-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED VR, and I adore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Menorah on Fire posted:

Why isn't the first bit of advice just "BUY A MANFROTTO 190XPROB"? :negative:

I wish that had been my first piece of advice. I have 3 tripods, and all of them sliiiiide down under the weight of my RB67 or 4x5. Even with my Nikons or Pentax 6x7 they're awkward to use and plasticy feeling.

...granted, they were all handmedowns, but still.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

evil_bunnY posted:

Unless you use it professionally or buy collectibles, photo gear isn't really an investment.

If you get lucky and find a cheap Hasselblad or Leica you can potentially sell it for more money down the road. I guess that's an investment, but I guess that also counts as "collectibles".

A guy on Craigslist was selling a 500CM outfit with 80mm T* lens (Planar maybe?) for $500. I have never mashed the e-mail button faster in my life, but he had JUST sold it to someone else :qq:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's why I go to as many antique stores and garage sales as I can... ONE DAY. One day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

Even the Pentax ME Super?

Of course not go buy a Pentax ME Super

You and I are like the Bebop and Rocksteady of ME Super advocacy.

(I call Bebop)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

And I'm the cheapskate who keeps pointing out that MEs are just as good 99% of the time and even cheaper :colbert:

Unless you want to shoot manual :colbert:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

Someone's a Poser.

In my experience a Super is pretty much the same price as a normal ME though, but I tend to buy them by the box.

ME Supers: the Zimbabwe dollars of photography.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

signalnoise posted:

I've got a 75-300mm lens I use for taking pictures of animals from my porch. What should I look for if I want my camera to magnify more? Right now getting a picture of a finch on a telephone wire gives me a good picture in one ninth of the actual area of the photo. Do I just want more mm's on the lens? Please give the answer to me as if I know less than nothing about anything.

I don't mean to patronize you, but you did say act like you know nothing...

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length
About halfway down, there's 4 photos all taken from the same spot with different lenses (with different "mm's"). The longer your focus length, the more zoomed in things will be.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

I think you're doing it wrong, although I commend you for attempting to use a Pentax ME Super for everything.

Can we be Dorkroom BFFs?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Well this is awkward...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

we need to make a Pentax ME Superposters gang tag.

I would pay real life money for this. Probably about 5ɱɛ (five Pentax ME Supers).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The Pentax ME Super + SMC 50mm 1.4 is my favorite thing to shoot with, and that's out of like... 15 cameras or something including small/medium/large formats and digital.

Ellen and a Tree by iantuten, on Flickr

~`*BOKEH*`~

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
TQR, that was a creepy post to read until I saw who it was, then I was like "oh it's just my bro TQR."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mightaswell posted:

Count me in

Protip: It's never going to happen.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
KEH is having a 10% off sale on all film cameras through the end of the month.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Unfortunately, that camera is probably only going to fetch $10 or so. Also, it uses a proprietary film type that doesn't exist anymore (Agfa Rapid Film).

I would say it'd be more valuable to keep as a memory of your father than to try and get any money out of.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DJExile posted:

Yeah, if you want it as something to gently caress around with, go to town. I've made much worse decisions with $35.

Yeah seriously. $35 is like, a trip to the movies for 2 people or something. For that kind of money buy it and try it out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

powderific posted:

The AF-D lenses aren't particularly nice to manually focus either—the rings are super loose in MF mode. I love the 35 F2.0 on my D800, but the 35DX is optically better and costs less.

Yeah, I had a 50mm 1.8 AF-D once and haaaated it on my F3. On my F4 it autofocused so I didn't care, but powderific is right.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Why can't every company just make their mounts in the same style as Adaptall I mean COME ON

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm getting out of film and into digital, and I'm trying to make the decision between Nikon (which I know and have used in the past), Canon, or a beefy M4/3 setup like an OM-D.

Am I right in thinking that Canon is lacking in the primes area? I know with Nikon I had a bunch of G lenses, AF-D lenses, AI, AIS, whatever I wanted to use, but the selection doesn't seem to be there with Canon, they seem to focus more on zooms. Am I wrong there?

With the 800 or so that I'm looking to spend, I'm thinking of a 50D and a Tamron 17-50 (399 + 300 or so). The other option is a Nikon D90 + Tamron 17-50.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Noted on both accounts! Canon has been calling me with its sweet siren song, but my photographer ex-gf blinded me to the ways of Nikon and I never looked back :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm looking at buying a new flash. I used to shoot on manual film cameras only, so I bought a manual-only flash, and it worked out pretty well.

Now, however, I've switched to digital and have entered a whole new confusing world of TTL crap. Since I have a manual flash that I could use in studio situations, I'm looking for a TTL flash to use at events and walkabouts that I won't have to fiddle with nonstop. I just want something that will meter and adjust the flash accordingly, with whatever flash compensation I set in camera.

I'm a cheapskate and can't afford an official Canon Speedlite, so I'm looking at alternatives.

Bower SFD728C TTL Autofocus Flash for Canon E-TTL II - $38
YongNuo YN-468 II E-TTL Speedlite With LCD Display, for Canon 50D 40D T1i Xsi XS - $89
Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon $160

Since I'm looking for something full-auto, is there any reason not to go with the cheapest option? It says it has ETTL II, which I'm assuming is the most current technology there, and seems to have decent power behind it. What would I be gaining for $50 or $120 more?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Spime Wrangler posted:

I have a 468-II and it works with canon's on-body flash exposure compensation controls.

Yes, this is what I meant by "auto"... no need to fiddle with the flash, but still able to fiddle with the compensation on the camera. Of course I understand the need for flash exposure compensation.

Cool, the 468-II is what I'm leaning toward, so that's good to hear.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Anyone have experience with the Yongnuo YN-560 II flash? I am wanting to get a flash, and really do not want to pay for the Canon. This one seems like a great alternative (fantastic reviews), full manual which I am fine with (especially for the price).

So, yay or nay?

I have the YN-560, not the II, and it's a great flash if you're okay with manual. Literally no complaints.

I'm also selling it in the Gear Selling Thread if you want to check it out :kiddo:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

You know, even just for a set of adapters and Cokin holder, that's pretty tempting...

edit-- everything's made of plastic including the filters :pwn:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
On full frame, how big of a gain is 40mm over 50mm? I already have the 50 1.8 II, but the 40mm is so darned cheap.