Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Understanding Exposure is fairly cheap, so if you have the extra $16 to pick up your own copy then do it. It's a great guide that illustrates how the three main aspects of photography interact to create an exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

phootnote posted:

Would it be best to stick to a prime?

I'd argue a fast zoom w/ a constant aperture and a flash would probably be your best investments if you'll be doing more event photography. The Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 non-VC and a 430EX would take you far.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Cute as heck posted:

Since you're just starting out, you'll want something versatile, that way you're not constantly changing lenses and carrying around a bunch of junk. Tamron 17-50 is $499 on Amazon right now with a $75 off MIR, and everyone here seems to like it!

This is what I'd do.

Edit: The less-scrupulous me wants me to tell you I'm selling my Canon EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS in the Buy/Sell thread for $800

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 5, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paragon8 posted:

it is actually ridiculous when you think about how much CF cards are. I could double my current capacity now with SD cards for the price of one 16GB CF card.

CF costs are what made me switch to SDXC when I got the 5D3. No point in paying $$60 for a 16GB CF when you can get a 64GB SDXC for $5 more. :argh: SanDisk

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 24-70 is basically the equivalent of the 17-50, and the 17-40 is regarded as better than the 16-35 if I'm remembering right.

Woot fatigue likes the 17-40L and he knows what he's talking about. :mmmhmm:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Are 100/2.8 non-L's really going for only $250? I might be selling mine soon, and I thought they'd go for at least $300.

There are non-USM 100mm F/2.8 Macro lenses, USM 100mm F/2.8 Macro lenses, and the USM 100mm F?2.8L IS Macro lenses.

The non-L, non-USM 100mm macros generally got for about $300ish.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

somnambulist posted:

Dell Ultrasharp 2711. Fantastic.

I currently have an 8 year old Ultrasharp 2005FPW doing 1680x1050, but when I do eventually upgrade I'll be getting whatever Ultrasharp 27xx is current so I can rock the 2560x1440.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gambl0r posted:

:hfive: I've used a 2005FPW for the last eight years as well. Four members of my family bought them at the same time and all of them are still going strong. It's insane how reliable (the higher-end) Dell monitors are.

I decided on an upgrade to the U2711 a few days ago, but it looks like I just missed a deal on it earlier this month ($650 on Dell and Amazon). Once it goes back on sale, I will be living in huge-monitor-heaven.

You can currently get an Ultrasharp U2713HM for $630 on Dell Small Business. Use LDSM7VQCS8??0B for 10% off through Jan 31st.

Details here.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mr. Despair posted:

Their search sucks basically. It's much quicker to just pick the category and go from there, (for example, to find canon fd lenses click 35mm -> canon manual focus -> fixed focal length lenses (or whatever type of lens you're looking for, zoom, etc). The categories are split up enough that there's almost never more than a few pages of results.

Basically this. You can also do Advanced Search. You'll have two drop downs. In the left one, find "--- 35mm ---" then "Canon Manual Focus" and on the right drop down find "--- Lenses ---".

Fixed Focal Length and Zoom Lenses cover Canon-branded primes and zooms. The "Non-mfg" categories are for 3rd party primes and zooms.

I'm much quicker using the Adv. Search function.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What's your budget like?

edit: This post made me splurge for LEE Filters when I decided to get into ND filters:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/peterh111/journal/4421304-the-ultimate-guide-to-neutral-density-filters

I got a 52mm Hoya 9-stop x400 filter for my 35mm shift lens and it's amazing. I will definitely be getting one to fit my other lenses.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah if you import to DNG it's not like file transfer is a major part of importing time. I really wish LR import wasn't all sequential.

Is there any benefit to DNG? I just copy my RAW files to their destination from my card via reader with a batch script then import them into the correct catalog in LR.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Sooooo this happened:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2013/03/pocketwizard-plus-x-remotes-break-100.html

Official link here:
http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/plusx/

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/91308/buydig-rokinon-lenses-35mm-f1.4-lens-from-364-8mm-f3.5-fisheye-lens-from-221-24mm-f1.4-lens

Heads up! BuyDig is running specials on a few Rokinon lenses.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

beergod posted:

Looking for a wide angle lens for landscape and creative close ups.

Any word on this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tokina-11-16mm-AT-X116-Digital-Cameras/dp/B007ORX8ME/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

The reviews for the similar Tamron weren't very good. The comparable Nikkor has a larger wide open aperture and costs about 400 more.

I had the Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 when I had my 7D and it was nice. I can post example if you'd like.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

beergod posted:

Please do.

http://imgur.com/a/hembw

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Is anyone here sporting Sigma's new 35mm 1.4? I keep seeing rave review after rave review get posted.

If I weren't being a responsible adult right now, I'd have one to tell you all about. :(

I'm planning on getting one in August though.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Casu Marzu posted:

:negative: Just bought my first real L lens.

Slippery slope, my friend.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gambl0r posted:

Monitors count as gear, right? Because I finally upgraded to a 27" monitor after using a 20" for the last 8 years... it... is... huge.

It's the Dell U2713HM on the left. (Please overlook my messy desk) It's 2560x1440 res and has above-average color accuracy. It's not Dell's flagship Ultrasharp model, but is significantly cheaper than some of their other models that offer extended-gamut color.

Cons: It does have a bit of a light leak in the bottom left corner but it's really only visible over completely black areas (like in the black bars when watching a movie). The anti-glare coating also casts a very faint diagonal line pattern over solid-color areas, but is only visible at certain angles / on certain colors.

I knew about the pattern and the possibility of having light leaks before buying it, but it was recently $475 (before tax) and no other monitor of this size, resolution and quality comes close to that price. No dead or stuck pixels, which was my main concern.

Lightroom editing is going to be amazing... the photo workspace (area minus toolbars/panels) is larger than my entire old monitor, and significantly higher resolution.

Sup new 2713 buddy? :v::hf::3:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Dell's having a sale on U2713HM 27" IPS monitors.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/928...080-led-monitor

I got one two weeks ago when they were on sale for $550 and it's niiiiiiiiiiice for post-processing. 2560x1440 is amazing.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ferris Bueller posted:

You getting any of the back light bleed problems some people complain about with this monitor?

Nothing I've noticed in using it so far.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gambl0r posted:

mine has a slight light leak in the bottom left corner

I just set my screen all black and my bottom-left corner has a small light leak as well. Didn't know it was there until I read your post and tested. THANKS, OBAMA! <:mad:>

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Platystemon posted:

The autofocus system is kind of slow and fragile, but it’s quiet enough.

I disagree with this as my 50 1.4 has almost always focused fast and accurately (350D, 30D, 1D2, 7D, 5D3). The only issue I ever had with it was when I dropped it 2.5 feet onto concrete. The AF system needed to be re-calibrated by Canon for about $100 and that was that.

Just be sure to get the hood for it and all will be well.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh crap, I just found out the new 35mm Sigma is actually a DG lens, not just DC. :toot:

Yuuuuuup :woop:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paul MaudDib posted:

If it does, you can just drop it on their dock and set the AF microadjust setting directly, since it's one of their new Art series.

The docks haven't been released yet but look to be about $60.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909813-REG/Sigma_USB_Dock.html

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mightaswell posted:

Sigma 35mm F1.4 A

Anyone with a full frame camera needs this lens.

Counting down the days until my birthday :coal::holy::dance:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Instrumedley posted:

Had to RMA a new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 :( Very impressed optically with the lens though.

Instrumedley posted:

Had to RMA a new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 :( Very impressed optically with the lens though.

Eek! What happened?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

SoundMonkey posted:

Emptyquote + doublequote? I'm gonna have to get a ruling from the high council on this one.

Weird, that was done on my phone in the iOS Awful app. Must have double tapped the quote icon. :shobon:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mr. Despair posted:

Get a fast CPU, enough ram (I use 8 gigs, 16 would be better, but you don't need more than that), and an SSD. The SSD is probably going to be the most noticeable change you can make though, even if you get a small one to work on and then move the files onto a normal hard drive for long time storage.

A million times this.

I've been considering a desktop upgrade and I'm looking at a new Haswell-based i7, 16GB of RAM, and 2x256GB SSDs in RAID0 for my OS/working drive. Primary storage would be a 3TB hard drive with backups to a USB, my NAS, and BackBlaze. :sweatdrop:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Please don't RAID 0 SSD's. I'm not sure when your planning on getting this, but even as of now you have to flash the bios on a lot of motherboards to get TRIM support with RAID SSD's. Not only that, but it can be really easy to lose data if the RAID fails. If your going to go the RAID route, at least do a RAID 5 so there is some recovery. If you want speed though, you'll be better off getting a revodrive (SSD that is connected to the PCI slot). They get much much faster speeds than even RAID 0 and you don't risk all of your data getting corrupted at random times.

Intel has released TRIM compatible RAID0 drivers for the 7-series chipsets. I'm looking at an Intel-branded, 8-series based motherboard and doubt they'll rescind the feature.

I do appreciate your concern and thank you for speaking up. :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Im not sure I need to spend anything like that .. what seems to be the most useful ND filter for water shots, etc?

I have a Hoya ND-400x for one of my lenses (52mm threads) and it's something like an 8.66-stop ND filter. Doesn't cast much of a tint from what I can tell, but I shoot RAW and correct the white balance in post.

Edit: Meant to say that as soon as I can, I'll be getting it in 77mm so I can adapt it to all my lenses.

Example:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 12, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Generally this is the correct answer.

I concur. A decent duplexing, networkable, black and white laser printer will set you back about $130 including an OEM replacement toner for when the starter toner runs out. Your cost per page for printing school work on a photo printer would be astronomical compared to the entry level laser printer.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have the feeling to use all primes. I rather like the simplicity. Someone tell me I am stupid.

I'm looking to get a 34 1.4 and 85 1.8 to go with my 50 1.4. I'd take those 3 lenses when I wanted to travel light. If I needed something more versatile, then I add the 17-40 and 70-200.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

evil_bunnY posted:

If you want to travel light why carry the 1.4's?

Primes weight < zooms weight

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

terriyaki posted:

Thinking about selling my 35L and 85/1.8 and picking up a cheap 50 since I rarely ever use my dSLR nowadays, especially since I got an X100S.

Is the EF 50/1.4 still the best not-super-cheap-but-not-super-balling-out-of-control option?

Since 2005, I've owned two copies of the EF 50 F/1.4. The first performed well until I sold it except for the time I dropped it. $95 and one focus calibration later, it was good as new. I sold it when I got a 7D and was consolidating lenses.

After I jumped to the 5D3 and sold all my crop lenses a year ago, I got another one and it works just fine.

I do take the extra step of manually focusing to infinity every time I go to put my camera way as it retracts the extending part of the lens back into the lens barrel. Aside from me being an idiot, the lens has never given me issue.

PS - I might be looking for an 85 1.8 soon. :toot:

Edit: Prime numba page snype

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mr. Despair posted:

Shameful. Just shameful.

Though it may decrease your view of me, I will tell the truth. :patriot:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sometimes I just have to shake my head and wonder exactly what eldritch horror lies in that site's code.

One thing it frequently does to me is insert the wrong navigation anchors and titles for that page. Like, I'm loading the pages for about 4 different camera systems and all of them will have the same navigation anchors and will all show "Nikonos V" as the category I'm in. How in the gently caress does that happen? Like, are they storing your current page in a cookie or some kind of a server-side DB table, or what? :psyduck:

I'm 95% sure it runs on an MS Access database.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

smallmouth posted:

My Canon 35mm f2 doesn't work anymore. The autofocus is stuck and in manual it just spins without focusing. :( Does anyone have any idea how much a repair might cost?

Canon's repair website will give you a base estimate and will contact you if repair costs exceed the base estimate.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Squibbles posted:

Anyone have experience with getting a Tamron lens repaired?

After getting dropped on it's head my Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC will no longer zoom any further than about 24mm. Focus and stuff seems to work ok still though.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada and I see Tamron lists their repair center as being in Toronto. Does anyone know how they handle repairs? Do I just send it in or should I call first? Do they provide an estimate or just bill you or something?

The Canadian site is a little bare bones: http://www.tamron.ca/generic.htm?ECINFO=TAMRON%20REPAIR%20CENTRES

I'd call the number listed and ask what should be done.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Funosaurus posted:

Hope it's the right thread for this question. Was cleaning out the closet, found these old SLR cameras in the stuff my mom left me after selling the house. I looked them up on ebay, and they don't look like they're worth a whole lot. I don't know anything about photography, so googling the specs of these lenses just gives me more specs, which I don't understand.

1. Are these lenses any good?

2. Can these lenses be used on a DSLR?

(Pictures are on tinypic, imgur wasn't working for me, so hope these load okay.)

I have a friend who just got a DSLR recently (not sure what brand), and if the lenses aren't crap I'd like to give them to her, if they're DSLR compatible.
If they're not DSLR compatible, I'd give the cameras to a local college with a darkroom or something. I'm not looking to make any money off them, I just don't want to see them wasted if they're decent.

Thanks.

You might be able to convert the 35-80 to a macro if you're up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1NkwTzS-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Schneider Heim posted:

For people/animal photography, would CPLs be useful? One case I thought of is to eliminate reflections from glasses, but you can kind of cheat that by not photographing the glass directly (i.e. have the subject turn their head slightly)

CPLs will help to remove reflections from animals' coats/people's hair as well.