Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
I MIGHT(voting ends next Wed. :f5:) win a local newspapers photo contest for a Balloon glow we had recently, which should help me afford one of the following: Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 or a Tokina AT-X 11-20mm f/2.8 PRO DX

I'd be putting one of these on my d7000. Currently I have the 18-55 kit, and a 35mm 1.8/g. Anyone have any thoughts on either of these lenses? I'm leaning towards the Tokina..

I guess I should also say, my goal for this lens would be landscape and some astro.

murk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Helen Highwater posted:

My mum is visiting and she loves taking photos. I hesitate to say that she loves photography because she doesn't understand even the most basic principles of it. At the moment she has some lovely point and shoot that has no manual controls, only scene presets. I'd like to get her a basic compact that at least lets her play around with aperture and shutter speed without overwhelming her (no joke, she couldn't figure out how my kitchen tap worked and it's just a regular mixer tap).

It has to be:
Cheap. I'm not spending on this because the difference to her between a cheap and lovely camera and an expensive camera will be approximately zero.
Small. She won't carry something the size of a DSLR or even a mirrorless system. She also won't want to gently caress around with interchangeable lenses.
Digital. I offered to lend her something from my analogue collection while she's here but she wants to just take pictures SOOC and put them on Facebook.

What are not terrible options in the land of ultralow-end cameras?

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-Digital-Camera-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B00427ZLRO

I used this before I got my Nikon d7000. It has all the basic manual settings, dials, bracketing, RAW etc. I'm sure you could find it or a newer version of it used for very cheap.

murk
Oct 31, 2003

JamesieAB posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I am looking at an XT3 tomorrow in "very good condition" at £699 and there is a new 16mm f2.8 at Jessops for £329. I have a couple of Nikon zooms they should buy, bringing down the price of XT3 by enough to bring the lot to just under £1000!

MBP have the Sony A7Rii at £919 in "Excellent" condition but I think with a lens that will be way over my budget.

I like the small and light option with the XT3 so I am not likely to go the DSLR route.

Anyway I will let you know how I get on and thanks again.

I recently go back into photography and got a used XT3, used 18-55 kit from mpb.com. I really enjoy the ergonomics of the xt3. I think it has a more photography friendly adjustable screen over the xt4. I like manually turning dials, giving me a reminder to think about the conditions and intent. The EVF has also been refreshing since moving from a DSLR. I did recently add the 70-300mm and I am loving it. My previous setup was a Nikon d7000 that I had bought used as well. I've passed the d7000 on to family.

murk
Oct 31, 2003

JamesieAB posted:

Update:

Bought the XT3 (came with a smallrig but I had to buy an SD card) and 16mm f2.8 for just under £1k after a discount for my old Nikon lenses. I haven't had time to do much more than watch youtube videos and play around with the settings but will spend this weekend taking pictures.

Any recomendations for videos and other resources?

Are there any decent 3rd party batteries out there?

Thanks for the push towards the XT3, very impressed with the build quality and love the dials.

https://www.youtube.com/@pal2tech This guy isn't too bad. Search his channel for xt-3, he has a decent amount of stuff about it.

murk
Oct 31, 2003

waffle enthusiast posted:

For Fuji, it’s hard to beat Pal2Tech and Omar Gonzales. They both have a recommended settings video for the X-T3 somewhere in their channels as well. Though the must-have tl;dr is:

- Turn on back button focus for AF-C mode.
- Turn off the focus beep (it’s annoying)
- Turn off “shutter without SD card” so you don’t accidentally spend a day shooting without a card in the slot.
- Probebly shoot RAW[F] to start so you get both Raw+Jpeg

I don’t have recommendations on third party batteries; I just used the Fuji brand ones. You probably want at least three.

Buy a shutter release button.

Congrats on your new camera. The X-T3 is a banger.

I'll second the shutter release button. Also, I have 2 Fuji legit batteries and 2 Wasbi batteries. The Wasbi have been fine so far.

murk
Oct 31, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

These look really cool and could be really helpful. Are the thread sizes and such standard across all camera bodies, or do I need to be sure to pick one that will fit my camera model? A lot of them list specific models in the product name but that always looks like SEO nonsense to me

I THINK with the fujis its standard? What brand\model do you have?

murk
Oct 31, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks all, this is very helpful. The R8 is looking like the way to go for me, but I am going to do a little more research before I make a final decision. I see Canon sells the refurbs direct, is there somewhere I should go to look for used bodies or is it just ebay?

Also, I wasn't aware I would need an adapter to make my old lenses work with a mirrorless so thanks for pointing that out and linking to one. Anything else I should be aware of making the switch?

I've had good luck buying used from mpb.com

murk
Oct 31, 2003

prom candy posted:

I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on an a6700 but not sure what lens to buy. For an extra $100 I can get it with the 16-50mm kit lens but the 3.5-5.6 aperture doesn't excite me. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 seems like it would be very versatile. There's also something like the samyang 35mm f2.8. I want to do a lot of different types of shooting with this. Probably lots of dog portraits but also street, people portraits, maybe some (rec) sports, macro, and also some videography. Would love to shoot wildlife too but I know that'll require a separate lens that I'm not going to want as my first lens.

18-50mm is kit range lens for a reason. Covers a lot of situations. You can just consciously start noting during or after taking photos what focal length you like. When I'm just not sure, I do my XF18-55mm .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murk
Oct 31, 2003

prom candy posted:

I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on an a6700 but not sure what lens to buy. For an extra $100 I can get it with the 16-50mm kit lens but the 3.5-5.6 aperture doesn't excite me. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 seems like it would be very versatile. There's also something like the samyang 35mm f2.8. I want to do a lot of different types of shooting with this. Probably lots of dog portraits but also street, people portraits, maybe some (rec) sports, macro, and also some videography. Would love to shoot wildlife too but I know that'll require a separate lens that I'm not going to want as my first lens.

lol, sorry repeat post.

murk fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 2, 2024