Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Dudebro posted:

Please do. I looked at the slim version of the 77mm and people say it's good, but many complaints of not being to use a lens cap or that the included cap that comes with the filter is garbage because it falls off easily. The slim one is around the same price.

Good reviews for this one, but "it shouldn't vignette very much" isn't very reassuring. I do have a 1.6x crop camera, so maybe that helps too.

The Marumi circular polarizer is pretty much consistently rated the best for the price. When I had my 10-22, I used a B+W slimline one, which is similarly priced and also good - although not multicoated:
http://www.amazon.com/77mm-Slim-Line-Circular-Polarizer/dp/B0000BZLAE

It didn't add significant vignetting. Pretty much anything you put on that lens is going to increase the slight vignetting that the lens already has... but a slim filter won't actually be visible in the images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Noia posted:

I'm looking to get a macro lens for my 450D so I'll be able to take detailed closeups of purty flowers, human eyes, insects, etc.
Got the Tamron 17-50, Sigma 8-16, Canon 55-200 and Canon 50mm 1.8 from before.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to spend around 800 to 1000$. Preferably closer to the former, unless there is a huge gap in quality.

I'm not sure why everyone specified the non-L 100mm macro but I can definitely say the L model is incredible too. It will make you wonder why your other lenses aren't as sharp. Also the IS can be handy and it's within your price range.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

GobiasIndustries posted:

I know (hope not) that I'm going to be mocked for this, but what kinds of fun stuff can I do with a polarizing filter? I added this: http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-Super-...+polarizer+77mm to a photography wish list on Amazon a while ago and kind of forgot about it, and my parents purchased it for me this year. I've got step-up rings to adapt it to the lenses I have, I just..don't quite remember what I put it on the wish list for. I love taking nature photography if that helps at all.

I don't know if a polarizer can really be described as fun ;) ...but extremely helpful! If you shoot landscapes, keep it on pretty much all the time. It will darken the sky and really make the clouds stand out. It will enhance or reduce reflections off objects (depending on how you have it set). You'll see the biggest effect shooting water - especially shallow water at an oblique angle. By rotating the filter you'll either get a mirror reflection of the sky, or you'll be able to see right through the surface to whatever is below. It will even make a difference shooting deciduous trees and plants - making them look a lot bolder-colored by cutting down reflections of the leaves. It's probably the most all-around-helpful filter you can get.

Edit: so many people replied with this information already! I missed the last page of posts.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

pseudonordic posted:

I currently have an 8 year old Ultrasharp 2005FPW doing 1680x1050, but when I do eventually upgrade I'll be getting whatever Ultrasharp 27xx is current so I can rock the 2560x1440.

:hfive: I've used a 2005FPW for the last eight years as well. Four members of my family bought them at the same time and all of them are still going strong. It's insane how reliable (the higher-end) Dell monitors are.

I decided on an upgrade to the U2711 a few days ago, but it looks like I just missed a deal on it earlier this month ($650 on Dell and Amazon). Once it goes back on sale, I will be living in huge-monitor-heaven.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
I'm crossposting this from the landscape threat in hopes that someone will have the same filter:

Does anyone own a Singh-Ray Galen Rowell ND-3G-HS (P-size)?

I'm looking for a photo of that particular filter and it's case, if possible. I suspect I just got sold a counterfeit filter (which, is insane that such things even exist). I already have other Singh-Ray filters, including the ND-3G-SS, and there are too many small differences that are making me wonder...

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Monitors count as gear, right? Because I finally upgraded to a 27" monitor after using a 20" for the last 8 years... it... is... huge.

It's the Dell U2713HM on the left. (Please overlook my messy desk) It's 2560x1440 res and has above-average color accuracy. It's not Dell's flagship Ultrasharp model, but is significantly cheaper than some of their other models that offer extended-gamut color.

Cons: It does have a bit of a light leak in the bottom left corner but it's really only visible over completely black areas (like in the black bars when watching a movie). The anti-glare coating also casts a very faint diagonal line pattern over solid-color areas, but is only visible at certain angles / on certain colors.

I knew about the pattern and the possibility of having light leaks before buying it, but it was recently $475 (before tax) and no other monitor of this size, resolution and quality comes close to that price. No dead or stuck pixels, which was my main concern.

Lightroom editing is going to be amazing... the photo workspace (area minus toolbars/panels) is larger than my entire old monitor, and significantly higher resolution.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

pseudonordic posted:

Sup new 2713 buddy? :v::hf::3:

Yeah! How do you like yours? I need to borrow a calibrator from work, but even right out of the box, I'm surprised with how good it looks.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Bob Socko posted:

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Guess I'll just stick with my dedicated macro lens. Thanks!

Editing this because I misread your original post! If you already have the dedicated macro, the extension tubes would be a downgrade from what you already have.

BUT for anyone else thinking of buying them, extension tubes are like the opposite of hassle. If you have any mid-range prime, it will likely work well with extension tubes. If you get a set with the contacts, all aperture stuff will continue to function with the tubes in place. Image quality is not compromised. The full set of Kenkos is like $60 on eBay - much cheaper than a dedicated lens. It's definitely the way to try out macro if you don't know if you'll use a dedicated lens enough to justify the price.

Now reverse-mounting on a Canon (without old FD lenses)... that's a hassle.

Goldmund posted:

This one? http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Only a few bucks more, and actually in stock too.

Dell U2713HM was recently available for $75 more than this one from dell w/ 3 year warranty and 0-dead/stuck pixel guarantee. Just saying...

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 5, 2013

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Ferris Bueller posted:

You getting any of the back light bleed problems some people complain about with this monitor?

I mentioned this on the previous page, but mine has a slight light leak in the bottom left corner that I completely forgot about by day two. It's unnoticeable unless most of the screen is black... and even then it's not bad. I think if you buy it from Dell, you're going to get a recently-manufactured model, which are supposed to be much better than the early models in terms of light leaks. I got mine from Dell a week ago, manufacture date is January

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Edit: I just found there's a NAS thread in SH/SC so I'm moving my post over there. Carry on...

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 26, 2013

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Haggins posted:

Maybe Beach camera?

Beach Camera is trustworthy, and not based in NY which is handy for avoiding sales tax...

Abe's of Maine is another good one.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
As nice as the 3rd party lenses may get, the 1st party ones still hold their value better - although this may eventually change as Sigma releases more great lenses and increases it's reputation.

In the meantime, I keep buying used Canon lenses, using them for a few years, and reselling them for the same price or more than I paid for them. It's like a really long-term, really cheap rental. I realize most people probably don't change their lens lineup that often, but it's something to think about if you are planning to upgrade down the road or try out different types of photography!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Goddamn the D800 is such a good camera. Canon have nothing like it at the moment.

Good lord... I've never seen that kind of ISO comparison between these two cameras. As someone shooting with a 5DmkII, I kinda thought all brands of cameras would show similar color noise in pushed shadows... this is the first thing to really make me want to switch to Nikon :D