Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

suck my woke dick posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. I tried the ballheads and was not impressed, they're minimally adequate for light gear but you have to tighten them for way too many turns until they don't sag with even a slightly heavy lens pointed at an angle.

Oh yeah I changed out the head quickly for a Markins Q3T which is pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

You could consider the RX10 iv...the zoom range is now up to 600mm.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Constellation I posted:

I think KEH is actually pretty bad now after new ownership. This is just from reports online though, haven't used them in a long rear end time.

Their film gear selection and ratings are pretty bad now, post-takeover.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sirui and Markins make pretty solid heads for MF cameras, but you'll have to get the larger end ones.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It's not like I'm completely ignorant of tripods, but what I've found is that 'heavy duty' 'professional' and 'high weight capacity' are all aspects that don't necessarily translate to 'can handle a Pentax 6x7' and I could easily make an expensive mistake in buying something that isn't going to cut it.

Both those tripod heads you linked look extremely flimsy for a Pentax67 and nowhere near heavy duty or professional. If you want geared movement, try the Arca-Swiss Cube or D4 series tripod heads. I have the Cube and it doesn't move a millimetre with my huge and heavy MF macro rail setup.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Well, guess I'm glad I asked. Obviously the feedback in this thread so far isn't on board with what the off-site posters were saying about those heads.

Thats a pricy counteroffer though. Photography is an expensive hobby, but the Pentax 6x7 (not 67II) is a value-priced entry in its range. I love mine and hate to say it, but if I had $1,500 to drop on the Cube, I'd probably have a Mamiya 7 instead and wouldn't need a top-tier geared head anyway.

(Probably. But then again if I was flush I might just have a nice late-model 67...they're the most badass looking cameras in the 6x7 format.)

The Pentax 67 is value priced because it's heavy and big. Maybe you can consider this head: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217470-REG/manfrotto_405_pro_dgtl_geard.html

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Sounds pointless on full frame, but a 25/.7 on m43 would be actually pretty sweet.

I don't know enough about optical engineering, but there are 50/1.4's out there that are decently sharp wide open, so would it be that much of a stretch to imagine a 2X crop factor, <f/1 normal prime that's generally usable at max aperture?

Currently there's only the Zeiss 50/0.7 but they could only make 10 of them. I suppose even a 25mm version would be pretty hard to make as well.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

President Beep posted:

It’s crossed my mind, but that’s about as far as the consideration has gotten. I’m not necessarily interested in true macro per se, but I would like to improve the minimum focusing distance. It’s something like a meter as-is, and it’d be nice to shorten that.

There's still going to be a fair amount of parallax error with those. Already the normal minimum focus has some parallax, but the rolleinar ones will tend to cut off a lot of the heads if you're doing portraits.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

President Beep posted:

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this. Anyone recommend a good tripod?

https://youtu.be/r1a89UBEdTQ

It is the tripod.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeast posted:

Haha this is so true.

Youtube is truly terrible for the photography space. the 'big names' alternate between 'the new X: the TRUTH' & 'Why you don't/need the new X'

They're basically trying to maximise reach by milking both sides of the divide.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

For those who use the Billingham Hadley or other similar bags do you carry a tripod separately when you use one or do you use a separate bag that has an attach point for a tripod when you do need to carry one?

If I was going to bring along a tripod I'd probably just switch to a backpack then. Or get a tripod sling.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The closest is a camera phone app that only has manual controls. Beats all your suggestions cos the apps are under $10!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hasselblad supremacy!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

If you want a chick magnet, consider getting a TLR.

Tested and proven.