Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FormerFatty posted:

Would this degradation be as pronounced on a relatively wide aperture, good quality telezoom, say a 500mm f4.5 Asahi-Pentax?

2x teleconverters really do need to have glass that's not just good but bordering on spectacular. Even a lens that's really excellent normally might wind up not so good with a 2x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd look for some actual grip tape--gaffer's tape, at least the stuff I have, isn't super grippy. I've only used it on handguns but I'm sure it'd work well for a camera too.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I was thinking about stuff like hockey tape or something else more rubberized, but it looks like "grip tape" does usually mean the sandpaper stuff. Which I wouldn't recommend, ha.

edit: something like this: http://www.kofflersales.com/p/bath-shower-anti-slip-tape.asp

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashex posted:

Where can I get a color card like this one?

I did a photoshoot awhile back and the pro photographer there let me use his. I've tried looking for the same one but they all appear to be rather large and a pain to carry in a small camera bag.

Edit: On a sidenote, I bought the D7k a couple weeks back and hoooooly poo poo :gizz:
I knew I was getting an upgrade from the D70, but this body blows it away. I had the opportunity to really use it when I went to Disney World on Saturday and I was able to take some shots with ease that I would normally have had to work at getting right with the D70.

The colorchecker passport isn't huge: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/colorchecker-psssport.shtml

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Going for really high magnification might be a good reason to go micro four thirds or even regular four thirds. The smaller chips make high magnification lenses way cheaper. On my g2 I have 400mm equivalent from a teeny tiny 45-200 that's $250 or so new.

This is also an area where small chip video cameras can be crazy good depending on which bit of functionality is most important. My xf300 goes to an equivalent of 527mm at f2.8 yet weighs and costs less than Nikon's 500mm f4. They're both way out of your price range, but you might find something good enough.

Do you know the model of your p&s? We could recommend something with similar zoom range if we knew.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thom hogan (i think thats his name anyway) has a pretty detailed write up on sensor cleaning on his site. That might give help you get a feel for the process.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone posted shots from their mirror lens earlier in the thread and it didn't look THAT bad—assuming you're shooting in daylight it seemed like $35 worth of fun.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that's pretty great hotel/concierge service there.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually feel like my Nikon 1.8 is roughly on par with the canon 1.4 it replaced, if not a little better thanks the front element being safely tucked into the lens barrel.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lexar professional 64gig 400x seemed like a good combo of performance per dollar when I was searching for something to put in the d800. Rob galbraith's charts were pretty favorable. It's been great so far.

powderific fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 10, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How long will you be traveling? These transcend cards have been great for me and you can fit a whole lot of 5d1 photos on each: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208529 A small computer would, of course, get you a magnitude more storage space, but it's still a lot bigger than a few extra CF cards.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

I use to be extremely eager and passionate about photography but nowadays I'm more feeling meh....

How is a 5d3 going to get you back into photography if you're not getting into with the 50d now? The 50d is a good camera and you can do a lot with it. I know having something new can help a person get excited again, but you might want try getting back into it again with what you already have. And a better way to get something new + get excited again might be just dipping your toes into the MF game like Paul MaudDib suggested with a TLR or something. It'll be fun and new without making a huge jump all at once. And even if you decide to go to a 5D3 eventually, you're not going to regret having the film camera to fool around with.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dr is looking for ND filters, not cpls.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea, but nine thousand dollars as the regular price is pretty hilarious.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Currently the 430 EX II is on sale for $254 on amazon. This seems like a great price on the speedlite. On the other hand, the Yonguo flashes with ETTL are cheap as hell. Is there anything I'd be missing by going third party? This would be my first flash, and I'm just looking for something to screw around with.

If you're just looking to screw around, go the cheap route. Even if you're not just screwing around the Yonguo stuff is still a good option.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

The aperture numbers look impressive, but that’s what happens when you concentrate the same amount of light in less area. If you do the calculations, you’ll find that the 35.5 mm f/1.0 lens the adapter gave you will result in exactly the same depth‐of‐field as the 50 mm f/1.4 lens you started with.

This is a key point that a lot of people in the internet video blogosphere seem to be missing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the speed booster is going to be extremely useful for video shooters. It opens up a lot of possibilities (especially on the wide end) and the price is pretty reasonable in the video realm. If I shot on an S35 sensor I'd almost certainly pick one up.

Also, I didn't notice this before, but Bryan Caldwell designed the optics. He's got some serious lens design chops. Here's an article about the Costal Optics lens Metabones mentions in their press release: http://diglloyd.com/articles/CoastalOptics60f4/index.html

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, the lensrentals blog is pretty interesting in general if you haven't checked it out.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could buy that Metabones Speedbooster and double your number of focal lengths and get full frame DOF.

edit: assuming you can adapt your manual lenses to EF that is.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Somehow the price hadn't really entered my mind.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want something really portable, give Sony's RX100 a whirl. I went from M4/3 gear as my day to day carry around to the RX100 and much prefer it. For me it's simply about how portable it is—with the M4/3 stuff I still wound up carrying a whole extra bag around. The RX100 is a much different experience than most P&S class cameras I've used thanks to a fairly fast autofocus and excellent low light performance.

All that said, I've really been lusting after the X100s lately.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The AF-D lenses aren't particularly nice to manually focus either—the rings are super loose in MF mode. I love the 35 F2.0 on my D800, but the 35DX is optically better and costs less.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Arca swiss is particularly common on fluid heads. You may need to make an adapter if you go that way. There are definitely tripods that'll take different clamps, but, again, that seems to be less common with video fluid heads.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 35 1.8 will focus better in low light thanks to its faster aperture. And the manual focusing ring is pretty good. It's probably the easiest way to go unless you plan on moving over to film in the very near future, and, even if you do, the 35 1.8 is a desirable enough lens that it won't be hard to offload on the used market.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Anyway, I just ordered a new 27' iMac to replace my 2008 MBP and the new iMac no longer has firewire ports. I have the option of buying a thunderbolt to firewire adapter or just getting a cheap USB 3.0 thing. The adapter is $30 and I'm not sure if it's worth spending that for a whats now a dead technology.

Just get a USB 3.0 reader—they're not that expensive. Then sell me the F800 reader for cheap. Even a marginal speed increase over 2.0 would be worthwhile for me since I'm regularly offloading several 32 and 64 gig cards at a time and my MBP is pre-USB 3.0.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You might want to call them and complain anyway as some places will refund you the difference.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly tamron has massively improved their customer support and repair over the past few years, so maybe it won't be too bad to get it fixed.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

Why not buy a bunch of SD cards and copy from the CF to the SD card in camera? Is time an issue?

e. Or just tether the camera to a laptop for the whole shoot.

Or RAW to the CF and JPEG backups to the SD.

You do have some other options out there, but I don't know if any of them are particularly good: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Portable-Data-Storage/ci/3369/N/4083163867 The Sanho one with a 1TB drive looks like the best bet, but it's more expensive than a netbook sooooo...

Edit: external makes sense, or it's generally easy to plop a bigger drive in. 1tb laptop drives aren't super expensive.

Double edit: that Sanho has a user replaceable drive so it'd actually be more like $400 to get it and a 1TB drive to drop in.

powderific fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 30, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like you can get it without any hard drive so all in you'd be looking at $340 with 1TB drive. Which isn't that bad really. I dunno, if it worked for you I don't think it'd be that silly. It's easy to underestimate how much difference size can make on useability for something like that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems like the whole being able to drop it into a bag while it does its thing could make the Sanho or whatever well worth it for certain people, assuming they work well enough.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not super sexy but I loved my 24-105 f4 L for video. The IS worked great and they're a particularly durable little lens. I wish Nikon's f4 zoom was as nice—it's the only thing I really miss from Canon's lineup.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad Rob Galbraith stopped updating their CF card database. It was fantastic for figuring out how fast a given card was compared to the competition. They'd also note if any cards had issues with specific tested cameras. After pouring over the tables for quite a while the Lexar 64gb 400x CF card wound up being a really good combo of price+performance on the D800. It's still up to date enough to be useful, but'll slowly become more and more irrelevant. For the time being I definitely recommend checking it out if you want to really know how a card stacks up: http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Howbout an OM-D + FD 100-300 f5.6 L or 80-200 f4 FD L :v:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you live in Australia I'm not sure why you'd buy from B&H instead of a local company. I mean, B&H is fine, but even as someone who lives in the US I wouldn't buy from them over Amazon if Amazon was cheaper.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, I hadn't seen australian prices, nor did I know that it was full of grey market stuff. But xcore said he'd found lower prices locally online and was wondering whether there were extra special specials in the B&H physical store, which I don't think is going to be the case on most items. Their prices are fine and they're reputable, but there are lots of camera and electronics stores in the US that meet that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually do pay use tax on most of my business stuff.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 40mm 2.8 is cool but Bang3r already has a 24-70 2.8 so it's hardly a fast prime in comparison. If he was looking for a small prime, sure, but I'm guessing something with a faster aperture than 2.8 is the goal.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

The market for these things died out due to increasing flash memory density (larger CF/SD cards means people don’t need to dump and reüse their cards on a trip), the advent of netbooks, and the declining price of laptops. Tablets may have dealt a blow as well.

B&H has a whole category of them here, and they pretty much all meet your requirements, but they’re also outdated and overpriced.

If you do buy one, you can probably get a better deal by buying the device bare and installing a laptop HDD you buy separately.

Last time this came up the Sanho one with no drive seemed like the best deal.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always really liked the Pentaxes but can't use them since I need Nikon/Canon stuff for work. Get the Pentax so I can live through you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The DSLR video thread would be the place to go for audio into a DSLR discussion.

edit: if it were me I'd probably just get a Rode VideoMic Pro or something similar instead of doing second system audio if the mic's going to be mounted on the camera.