Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I would like to buy a polarizing filter for my GF1's lenses. From reading the first post in this thread I believe I need a circular polarizing filter.

Is this the right one? http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-67mm-Super-Filter-Japan/dp/B003QSG6SS/

Here is the 52mm, which is quite a bit cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-DHG-Polarizer-CPL-52mm/dp/B003LCKN24/

The two lenses I have use 46mm and 52mm threads. Doing a quick search, the largest m4/3 threading size I noticed was 67mm.

I think I may get the 52mm since it will cover my current lenses and who knows if/when I will get others.

Am I on the right track here? Can anyone recommend 'step-down" rings? I am aiming for cheap, if you haven't noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, the OP is not entirely correct; you need a step-up ring to adapt a bigger filter to a smaller lens thread. Step-down rings are the opposite, where you want to stick a smaller filter on a lens with a bigger thread diameter--usually not a good idea because of vignetting.

Personally I chose to have a set of different size polarizers so I can use my lenses with their hoods; if you use step-up rings you want to make sure to have a hood that fits the polarizer's threads.

Yeah, I figured out that step-down and step-up rings are different before I purchased :p.

My not so fancy lenses don't have hoods!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a fuji X-E1 that I never use any more because every time I try to get back into it I get super mad at how bad the auto focus is. Unless you are in a very well lit space and you slowly find an edgy thing to make it focus on it almost always produces an out of focus image. I used to really like this camera but I have grown to hate it.

Anyway, I would like something more modern (with wifi) and more compact. More pointy-shooty, even. That has me looking at the Ricoh GR3 however one hesitation is that some of the reviews comment on the poor autofocus performance in low light. But "bad" today versus the 10 year old fuji surely doesn't mean the same thing, right?

I'm not trying to take pics of a diving bird but being able to point it at a baby crawling across the room during the day and have it come out in focus would be a nice feature.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

powderific posted:

It'll be better but it's still not all that great. Baby crawling across the floor, like, 6 feet away, sure. Closeup maybe not so much, and babies become toddlers who are much faster ha. I have so many great shots of my little girl when she was still crawling, but now it's almost all camera phone stuff because she's too fast and too interested in the camera for me to have much luck any other way.

Rent one and see how you like it. Maybe it is good enough!

Renting is a nice idea I had not thought about. Unfortunately I could only find a few places in europe with consumer stuff for rent and none of them had ricoh.

Anyway, I found a nearby vendor that had it for under €800 so I placed an order. Maybe I can report back next week.

Does anyone want to buy an X-E1 with a broken control wheel?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Alright, the GR III arrived yesterday and so far it is pretty cool A+ would buy again.

This is my first camera with wifi/bluetooth and I am struggling to grasp exactly how it works. If there is a better place to ask this please redirect me.

I connected it to my phone via bluetooth and used it to transfer some images which was simple enough, but then I noticed that made my phone disconnect from my home's wifi and connect to what I suppose is the camera's wifi hotspot. So is the bluetooth just some control link that can't actually be used for the transfers?

And then I closed the ricoh app and it didn't reconnect my phone back to my home wifi which is kinda annoying but maybe I missed some step.

Another thing that I don't "get" is how exactly the GPS coordinates feature works. I thought when I transferred a photo to the phone the app would check the photo timestamp and see where the phone was at that time and update the EXIF data on the image, but that isn't what seems to be happening. Instead it seems the bluetooth connection needs to be active at the moment the photo is taken so the camera adds the EXIF location data when you take the pic. Is that right? So I have to leave the bluetooth enabled on the phone any time I am using the camera? I guess that's okay I just want to be sure I am understanding how this works. It is a super cool feature.

Also also, are there 3rd party apps that have the same (or better) functionality as the ricoh app?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have an Instax Link Wide printer that "prints" on the fuji instax film and it is fantastic.

I wish the app was a bit more polished but it gets the job done.