Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Head Bee Guy posted:

So I’m gonna pull the trigger soon and cop a Fuji XT20. KEH has it for like 600 bucks and a one year warranty, but i’m wondering if it would be worth it to cop it new from Fuji to get a 2 year warranty (which would come out to around 750 bucks).

I presume KEH has a good track record with returns and whatnot?

KEH is hot garbage ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
AFAIK the 250mm f/5.6 reflex rokkor from Minolta was the only one of it's kind and thus commands the leica-like price it does today. There are however plenty of 300mm f/5.6 reflex available, most in an adaptable t-mount. The better 300mm antique versions have a 72mm front filter diameter.

JamesieAB posted:

Is there a reason other than price that you would use a rear nd filter?

The reason for wanting to use an ND or color contrast filter is that the lens has a fixed aperture of f/5.6. If you're shooting film (which you would be on one of the old lenses) you're stuck with only shutter speed to vary the exposure. One would typically want the fastest shutter available with a long lens which in turn will limit the variety of appropriate films and shooting conditions. It is less of a concern on a digital body with variable ISO.

I use a Spiratone Reflex 300mm f/5.6 adapted to a Pen FV body. This gives a 450mm equivalent FoV with an essentially fixed 1/500s f/5.6 exposure -- just about right for ISO 100 film under good daylight. These lenses aren't contrasty so an orange filter can serve double duty with b&w film by increasing contrast and acting as an ND filter.

There are tons 500mm f/8 reflex lenses but they aren't as appealing for hand-held use due to their size. They're more versatile when paired with a modern mirrorless camera that provides IBIS and focus peaking.

Reflex-Nikkor 500mm f/8, Z6ii

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, less expensive and compact enough to be included alongside the lens in its case.

You'll want to be using a lens hood 99% of the time which makes swapping out front filters a bit more onerous than just popping the lens off the bayonet to access the rear element.