Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

signalnoise posted:

I have a lens that is too long to steady with my hands. What should I look for in a good tripod? Any names to watch out for?

Tripod thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390180

I like my Giottos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

QPZIL posted:

Can we be Dorkroom BFFs?

Slattern.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Martytoof posted:

Not photo-related, but holy poo poo that shirt <3

Wait till you see her rad-rear end "Moo! I'm a goat!" shirt with a picture of a giraffe on it.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Martytoof posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

You also see this on X100 centric forums where the in-camera processed large JPG is either considered "good enough" to use directly and to save time or is used as a baseline for processing the RAW. The Fuji JPG algorithm is admittedly quite good and there are all manner of "shadow tone hardness" and all manner of settings to play with but ultimately writing an uncompressed 19 meg RAW + a JPG is a lot to ask of the camera so it isn't something I do a lot of.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Shmoogy posted:

Can you mount any glass on the x-pro1/e-x1? I was under the impression that there was something with the flange distance which would cause trouble, I've only heard of people mounting M glass.

I'm still considering selling all my gear and using the x-pro1 for a year or so and just practicing the basics.

You can mount M, FD, and EF/EF-S (I'm a litte fuzzy on the combination). I've heard that Kipon has an adapter out or planned with an adjustable iris for EOS lenses but I don't know anything further.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

rcman50166 posted:

Do monitors count as "camera gear"? I don't really see a suitable thread to put this in so I figure here is as close as it will get. I recently got an AOC E2752VH 27" monitor. I am blown away at the details I have been missing. I used CRTs before this monitor and a LCD on my laptop that only went to 12XX x 8XX resolution. Let's use an example:

I took this photo. I can't even see his pores and facial hair on the other monitors. For $250, being able to see the finer details is worth every penny.

I'm curious as to what monitors everyone else uses.

HP DreamColor LP2480zx primary, HP LP2475w as a secondary monitor.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

I'll admit to buying a decent B+W for my X100 when I had it. I felt horrible doing it, but that was canceled out by the fear that something, *anything*, could happen to my fixed-lens baby.

That's not that unreasonable of a fear since the entire lens block is replaced if anything happens. Also the lens protrudes slightly further out from the edge and back in again on startup and it feels like it floats if you push in on the lens. It's not exactly confidence inspiring but I have smacked the lens on a table edge once with no damage.

Ricoh GRDs (at least the IV) keep an internal count of the number of times the camera has been dropped. Since I bought mine used, that and the shutter count were the first things I checked. (It came with 299 actuations, 0 drops and a small number of blurry shots of the interior of Adorama's store for the curious).

Edit: Also the user-stored presets for My1, My2 and My3 were loving awful. You can tell that whoever bought the camera first tried to set it up and were like "gently caress this". I can sort of sympathize since I had to constantly reference the manual the first week to figure out the approximately six billion customizable settings you can configure.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 11, 2013

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Elderbean posted:

I just bought a Fuji X-E1 and I noticed it's taking a long time to write to storage, is my SD card just lovely? I don't remember reading about any issues with write times.

Listen to Helicity and you can also try formatting the card in-camera. The X's are sensitive to this.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Drewski posted:

OK so I am actually considering buying a Surface 3. I don't have any office space in my place so right now I'm using my gaming laptop on my couch/chair to edit my photos. Basically, I really like the idea of being able to edit my pictures with a stylus, but I don't want to buy a wacom because of the lack of desk area and more attachments floating around is annoying, plus this would let me edit my photos from basically anywhere, e.g., curled up on a couch like a true neckbeard. Now I know a lot of people severely dislike photoshop CC, but at the very least I could install lightroom 5 and my older version of photoshop and be done with it. Would the 216 PPI of the tablet cause any real issues with editing?

I'm not planning on throwing down money right now but I sure am thinking about going to their in-store demo in June, preferably with a raw and jpg on an sd card.

Get a Surface 2 with an actual Wacom digitizer, I think the 3's are using something else and they've crippled the levels of sensitivity. An Intuos 5 small with the wireless kit might also work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Drewski posted:

I'm assuming you mean pressure levels of sensitivity for the stylus? I was reading here they'd gotten 256 levels of sensitivity with the stylus; is that considered crippled?

Older Surfaces were 1024, an Intuos/Cintiq/Cintiq Companion will be 2048. The way you work might notice, you might not. The other thing to research would be how well your version of Photoshop handles non Wacom digitizers. It's possible to be stuck using only 32 bit versions of PS or to lose things like palm rejection because the drivers for drawing surfaces is incredibly archaic.