Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof_Beatnuts
Jul 29, 2004
I used to be bad but now I'm good
I've found myself attracted to photography. I know a little more than the average phone/cheap digital camera user but I'm not a pro by any means.

I do know that I am more interested, at this point at least, in using something like a 35mm SLR. I'm also betting that there are low-cost lens/filters/cameras that are famous for being beginners cameras and would certainly work fine for my purposes.

My purposes would be just taking pictures around town/in the woods/nature and almost landscape type stuff and maybe (if reasonable) some nighttime stuff.

If you can think of a Digital SLR that would be good too, I won't ignore DSLRs if they are clearly a better choice.

I don't really want to leave a limit because if I can't afford a beginner camera I'll just quit right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof_Beatnuts
Jul 29, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Check out offerings from Canon and Nikon on https://www.keh.com (I'd link some directly, but their site is down for maintenance right now).
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Krakkles posted:

I get what you're saying by "I don't want to leave a limit", but seriously, we can probably give you better suggestions if you do tell us what you're willing to spend.

I'll go up to $500 total, meaning like the camera and any required gear. But something around $300 would be easier to swallow.

Prof_Beatnuts
Jul 29, 2004

Krakkles posted:

You've got tons of options. $300 should get you into a decent Canon setup pretty easily.
What would be the model I should be looking to get?

Prof_Beatnuts
Jul 29, 2004

Krakkles posted:

I'd definitely recommend looking around, waiting for one of KEH's sales, but something like the 30D would be an absolutely fine starter DSLR.

Thanks for the info.