Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

refleks posted:

Anyone have some suggestions for good sites in europe to look for gear? UK or DE sites prefered...

Amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

refleks posted:

Well, long story short: Bought a Canon DSLR 10 years ago, and the last few years I haven't really used it because I got tired of lugging it around, so now I want to get a smaller mirrorless.

I have been looking at different Fujifilms, and was just wanting to keep an eye out if something popped up for Black Friday somewhere. I dont' have anything at the moment so I'm just looking for a body + base lenses. I have tried looking through local used sites, but unfortunately the market is kinda small around here

Basically, looking to buy an X-T20, or X-T2...

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/special-offers/electrical-offers/camera-camcorder-offers/fujifilm/_/N-5vqrZ1z13xuo

John Lewis is doing cashback on some Fujis as part of their Black Friday deals.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've just discovered that Formatt Hitech do a 24 stop ND filter. Who here wants to have a go at turning a 1 second exposure in to something that requires 194 days?

That's basically a lead plate.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

I am looking at a point and shoot and can’t decide between the canon g9x mk II and Sony rx100 mk I.

Reviews seem to not be definitive either way so any impressions here? I would likely use it for outdoor photography with landscapes pretty frequently.

I have the RX100 MK1 and it is a very good camera that I am happy with.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

um excuse me posted:

Go Pro? Definitely the wide angle you want plus they're endlessly useful for other stuff. A hero 5 shoots 12 MP still with RAW and can easily be had for under $150 used.

Interesting idea.

You inspired me to look into the numbers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Action-Camera-Sensor-Bluetooth/dp/B00UFFZUO6
A YI Action Camera is about $50 new and has a 155° lens which I think is equivalent to a 3mm lens on a crop body?

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/field_of_view.html

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Personally, I prefer a faster lens than IS.

It's nicer to look through when composing, af works better in low light and it's better for capturing moving subjects in low light.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

but yeah I'd still be leery of their overall reliability.

I think my photos are worth at least an extra $10 to have a card with a lower failure rate than a Walgreen's special.

(well, to be honest, maybe a full card full of my photos is worth almost that)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

qirex posted:

Yeah, I'm talking about buying $25 Sandisk cards instead of $55 ones.

Ah, yup, that is a wise move.

Sandisk is an awful lot of marketing bollocks. As DJExile says with his usual wisdom, just buy whatever class your camera needs and ignore all that 'XtremeMegaXtremePro' shite.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

um excuse me posted:

The Xtreme ones are supposedly built to meet a larger temperature range. Great for things like dash cams where they can range from 0F to 150F.

Interesting, but the cynic in me felt that was dubious, given that microSD cards have always been designed to sit next to warm phone batteries so you inspired me to google a little:

quote:

Temperature proof:
SanDisk SD, SDHC, microSD and microSDHC memory cards are capable of withstanding operating temperatures from -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85 ºC).

quote:

When it comes to flash cards, Kingston Technology is one of the most renowned brands today. Kingston offers a wide array of flash products including a wide line of micro SDs. If you are looking for a tougher kind of micro SD that can withstand harder temperatures, Kingston also got an offering for you, the Kingston Industrial Temperature microSD UHS-1. Average microSDs has operating temperature range of only -25º C to 85º C. The Industrial Temperature microSD UHS-1 has operating temperature range of as low as -40º C to 85º C. Follow us today as we check out the Kingston 64GB Industrial Temperature UHS-I Micro SD.

I mean, it's been a bit cold recently, but I think I'll be okay with the standard cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ugh whatever jeez posted:

I store my photos on NAS (1 Gbps connection) and most of the time I let Lightroom import directly there, only when I'm importing shitload of photos I put them first to SSD, I find that the speed difference isn't really that big. What does drive me up the wall is Lightroom building previews, have to make them or working and moving between photos is painfully slow, and it takes AGES. This is one thing I miss about Capture One, it was so fast.

I import to the SSD, build the previews and then move them.

I am sure that this is a faster method.