Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

PBio posted:

Hey guys, i've been stupid and have planned a 3 week holiday to the states, flying out on Saturday and I only have one battery and no car charger.

The particular camera (Canon EOS 450D) I have uses the LP-E5 battery, and so if anyone could point me in the direction of a place in LA where I may get a spare battery and car charger in that area, it would be very much appreciated! And if you know prices for that sort of thing, that would be pretty swell.

(Edit: This may seem like a stupid question, but seeing as i'm from the UK, the only store I really know of is Best Buy, and I've heard pretty bad things about the place in the past. I'd quite like to pop into a proper camera shop if I get the chance!)

Sammy's is good, I also like Bel-Air Superstore in Westwood: http://www.belaircamera.com/

Good luck trying to find a Canon branded LP-E5 at Best Buy - I've only ever seen overpriced generics there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

IceLicker posted:

Speaking of grips, I'm looking to buy one for my T2i but I don't want to pay $220 for the Canon version. Can anyone recommend a decent, 3rd-party, chinese knock-off?

http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Battery-Vertical-Batteries-Digital/dp/B003VQOT66/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341528886&sr=8-4&keywords=t2i+grip

I have this, and it generally works great (and it comes with 2 cheapo batteries that should last you hundreds of exposures.

Once in a while it locks the AF point selector and zoom buttons on the body (but they still work on the grip). I don't know if this is a defect in the grip or if the grip and the Magic Lantern firmware don't play nice, but pulling the battery and restarting seems to fix it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah in all honesty what I really need is something like an S90 that shoots in RAW and can get me a decent ISO1600 image while maintaining the size.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Who's the goon that works for borrowlenses.com or a similar site? I wanted to see about buying some rental certificates for my company to distribute as prizes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

28mm is not wide at all on a crop sensor, so keep that in mind.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Having recently converted to Nikon, I have to say that the focusing rings on the 50 1.8 and 35 2 are vastly superior to their Canon counterparts - the lenses themselves still feel just as cheap, but manual focusing is so much easier.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I like the Tokina 11-16 for the aperture, the Canon 10-22 for sharpness.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No one ever reads the instruction manual these days, especially for something presumably so simple as a grip.

Mine didn't come with one :colbert:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yup, I bought some random chinese grip and it had zero instructions. Instead of instructions they gave me two batteries (this is for a T2i), so I can't really compare.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think gripped bodies feel more comfortable to hold, even if they're marginally heavier. They're also great if you do a lot of vertical compositions, since you have access to the shutter release and a few command dials/buttons on the grip.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

What's your budget? I have a Canon 10-22 for sale that I've been trying to get rid of.

edit: and a Sigma 30 1.4 as well

1st AD fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 18, 2012

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I can't think of any full frame primes at 14mm that are faster than 2.8. And they're all expensive anyways.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Can somebody tell me why ND filters have such stupid numbering systems? Also why is it so hard to find an 8-stop ND filter?

I gave up and bought a cheapo variable-ND just to play with because apparently manufacturers like to confuse me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I actually bought one of these to toss onto my 50mm http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BLRK62/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It probably introduces all sorts of crazy color casts but eh, it's cheap and if I don't like it it's no big loss.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I just ordered the Tiffen 77 Variable ND the other day. A bit pricey but nothing on the drat Heliopan.

The thing is, I don't even need a variable ND. Something with 6 or 8 stops of ND filtration is about all I need.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There are multiple reviews for that filter stating "introduces a strong green color cast."

I'm good with my Big Stopper. :)

I just got this and I can say that there is a green color cast, but I wouldn't characterize it as strong.

I wonder, is there a way to get 8 stops of ND filtration without introducing some kind of color distortion? Somebody tell me how to achieve this, because at this point it just feels like cutting down that much visible light will jack up balance of visible light to IR hitting the sensor.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

casa de mi padre posted:

I bring out my nifty fifty when I'm shooting bees so as to better blend in with the environment. "Be the bee" as it were.

Bzzz.

Beads!?!?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you wanna save $100 or whatever you can also get an older generation i7 - I've been running an i7 2600 on my iMac and it still flies.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ante posted:

Thanks, dudes.

The reason I have that lens is that I got given an old decommissioned speed camera (in the original housing (that has window wipers on the glass window)), and the lens is off the Hitachi CCTV camera. Maybe I'll see if I can get that working, could still be pretty cool.

A lens like that is better suited to something like a GH2/GH3 in crop mode, or the Blackmagic Pocket Camera.

Or, you know, a 2/3" ENG camera.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Don't get the Z-Finder or any similar product, it's a waste of time and magnifying a lovely LCD screen doesn't sound very productive to me. You'd be better off finding a lovely 5" LCD or TV and using that to monitor.

I actually like the Zacuto EVF, but I think it's overpriced. It lasts all day on an LP-E6 and does false color and EVF sharpening for focus assist.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Does imgur always strip out the exif data?

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with these photos, but just eyeballing them I'd say jpeg compression is killing some of the detail. Shoot in raw if you can. Depth of field can be mitigated if you stop down the lens, you'll probably need a lot more lighting though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Focus stacking seems like such an unnecessary process when a better camera that will let you manually set exposure and shoot raw should solve your problems.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Cheaper CFL bulbs do that - you can really see it when you pop over to video mode and set it to 24p, cheap bulbs will flicker like crazy. Pretty sure it's a 60hz cycle too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I've seen TV shows shot on RED cameras where the set designers used a practical bulb in something like an over the stove light and that nasty flickering is there - I'm not sure you can ever be rid of it, so manually setting your exposure (or fixing it in raw) are going to be better bets.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How much are refurb D600's? I'd say that's a cheaper option than the D610 and iirc there aren't any real differences.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Pretty sure the refurbs don't have the oil issue.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is there a good way to get a cell phone mounted onto a tripod with a Manfrotto plate? I know this is a weird edge case use, but my iPhone can record 120fps video which makes it the only camera in my arsenal that can do so.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have a feeling that the 5D2 sensor would perform just as well as the 5D3 if it had the same modern Digic processors behind it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Possible. Maybe others have been doing this, too. I find it curious that others already get 14 and something stops of range, where as Canon essentially needs to do this dual ISO business to get the same DR. Also, given various graphs seen at sites like DXO et al, that other brands lose DR pretty fast and getting into and below Canon territory, when going into high ISO, it kind of supports the idea that everyone except Canon's doing it.

Every Canon camera except for the C300 loses tons of DR at the higher ISO's.

Somehow they made a magic camera that keeps 12 stops no matter what ISO you're at.

I also doubt the other manufacturers are doing dual ISO. I could kind of see it with full frame sensors since you have more pixels to work with and can debayer/resample without losing much quality, but the Blackmagic Cinema Camera has about as much DR as a D800 and it's sensor is around m4/3 sized.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 31, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah, as soon as my friend got his D800 and showed me how flexible the raws were, I knew I'd be switching.

Despite the excess oil on the shutters of the D600, I'm really quite pleased with the quality of that camera.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

IanTheM posted:

Are the D600 sensors also from Sony?

Yup, same sensor that's in the Sony A99 in fact.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

grack posted:

This may be the stupidest idea on the market.

Especially when you realize that the camera Sony took the guts from (WX200) is cheaper, smaller and faster than that monstrosity.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I own that phone and it was really good at being a phone and pretty good at being a fixed lens point and shoot.

It still works, but the focusing mechanism in the lens is permanently hosed :smith:

But hey, the fact that it still powers on a decade later ought to be worth something.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How much are you willing to spend? Swixtronix makes great external power supplies but they're priced for video pros.

http://www.switronix.com/news/174-switronix-releases-new-hdv-powerbase70-for-canon-t2i

This unit costs more than your camera I think.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The limiting factor is probably the fact that there aren't many cameras that have a host that can write that quickly. Maybe the Blackmagic Pocket Camera and that's it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

loving aye how is that -not- going to confuse the poo poo out of my mother. Especially when you put all of that on a card plus the Mb/s ratings too.

Well your mom is going to be buying a class 4 8gb card from CVS, so that's probably not going to be a problem. But all the product categories are pretty dumb; I recently did an RMA of a Sandisk Extreme Pro 45mb/s card and somehow the customer service guy "Todd" from India hosed up and labeled it the Extreme 45mb/s card instead, so my replacement is coming back days later than expected because all their products share similar names and they couldn't figure it out in a timely fashion.

Digital Jesus posted:

The new Fuji X-T1 supports UHS-II which is why I'm looking, just got mine 2 days ago.

That number is from SanDisk's own site so you have to take it with a grain of salt of course.

http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/memory-cards/sd/extremepro-sdxc-sdhc-uhs-ii/

LMAO the expected MSRP of the 64gb card is going to be $300.

Sandisk manufactures a 480gb SSD with read/write of 545/500 for less money than this http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...sdssdx-480g-g25

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I can :smug:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Like the most useful thing that thing can do currently is offload photos or video at ridiculous speeds. Assuming you buy their overpriced SD card reader anyways.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Aren't the Vivitar primes just rebranded Rokinon ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nikon might be a better deal than either because there's tons of old Nikon screw-drive lenses that work perfectly fine but can be had for cheap on the secondary market.

In the last year I got the following:

Sigma 17-40 2.8-4 $130 in UG condition on KEH (glass is marked up but I can't tell as far as photos/videos go)
Nikon 35 2D $330 new at B&H
Nikon 50 1.4G $370 new at B&H
Nikon 50 1.8D $100 used/like new on Craigslist
Nikon 85 1.8D $100 used from a goon
Tokina 80-200 2.8 $230 in BGN condition (it looks like new and was just missing the caps and hood)

The Nikon primes are obviously way way sharper than the zooms but when you're shooting video the difference isn't noticeable, and investment there has been $1260 so there's still room to buy something like a 70-200 f4 VR or 135 f2 DC instead of the cheap third party portrait zoom, plus you can find something like a used D600 for not a ton more than a new GH3 these days and get the advantage of full frame and increased low light sensitivity. You also won't be locked into m43 glass which IMO doesn't have a lot of utility if you want to move towards full frame or switch systems for video (Canon and Nikon glass are a lot more useful for video especially).

All that being said, if you're looking for something that balances well between video and photo the GH3 is the best choice. There's more functionality in the video side of shooting and the image is much much sharper, and your kit overall will weigh a lot less and be smaller which might be an advantage if you're moving around a lot. I'd probably go with the Oly 17 f1.8, Panasonic 25 1.4, and the Pansonic 35-100 2.8.

I don't think going with the 70D is a good choice, you're almost certainly better off sucking up the higher cost of entry and getting a 6D and running around with a 24-105 and maybe a 70-200 f4 L IS since they're both image stabilized, sharp, and the camera can shoot at higher ISO's without looking nasty. Along the way you can probably find cheapo used 35 f2's and 50 1.8's to get some bokehs.