Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Lens hoods also bounce when the lens goes face first into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

I just had a ton of gear stolen from my car, and I could use a small favor. I'm attempting to gather a list of serial numbers of the missing items for police reports, insurance claims, etc., but I'm missing a few. Would anybody with a Sony NEX-3 mind comparing the sticker on the box with the serial number on the camera, to confirm which of these numbers (if any) is the actual serial number?

From a Walkman FAQ but the sticker on the box and the serial number format is the same on my 5N
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/faq/394799

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

MarsellusWallace posted:

Project a square onto a cone and you'll get a petal shape

As seen towards the bottom here: http://toothwalker.org/optics/lenshood.html

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I use manual focus lenses for this anyway, I'm being really cheap at the moment with like 40 dollar off-brand lenses. I'm shooting handheld bracing against whatever is nearby. Would I be better off just buying a tripod and better lenses and cropping the image? I'm using an E-P2 for reference, 12mp.

Mirror lens! 800mm f/8!

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

QPZIL posted:

~`*BOKEH*`~

I think old 1.4 bokeh might be my favorite thing about photography.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

powderific posted:

This is also an area where small chip video cameras can be crazy good depending on which bit of functionality is most important. My xf300 goes to an equivalent of 527mm at f2.8 yet weighs and costs less than Nikon's 500mm f4. They're both way out of your price range, but you might find something good enough.

Comedy option Nikon V1 with a 500mm f/4.

I find a dimensional field of view calculator useful when talking about focal lengths, for example on a typical consumer DSLR, a 2000mm lens will show about 1.5 meters of a subject 200 meters away.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

Yeah, even the Kodak DCS full frame cameras whose sensors were useless above ISO 200 were still selling for $400-500 last I checked, so I can't imagine the 5D could drop much lower anytime soon.

Aren't those pretty rare? Not really the kind of camera people are looking to upgrade whenever a new model comes out.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
So it's like a reverse teleconverter.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Isn't the fact that it's autofocusing at all a pretty big deal though?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

nop posted:

OK, this is going to sound stupid but are there decent manual focus lenses for a D5100? Or conversely AF lenses that aren't don't have loose rings?

I'd love to get a prime in the 20-35mm range for under $300, but it looks like the only way I can do that is by chipping an AI/AIs or buying a D7000...

I have a Sigma 24mm 2.8 AF with a pretty decent focus ring, it's not as smooth as a good AI-S lens but it's less sticky than all my non-AI lenses or Nikon 50/1.8 AF-D. I think it was under $200 on keh.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
It works ok on the more electrified film bodies too. This is pretty much the worst case, infinity focus and a narrow aperture.

approximate DX frame by patnumber8, on Flickr

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

K mount lenses will work too, BUT will need some modification to work right on a FF camera (the aperture lever can hit the mirror if you don't bend/take it off somehow).

What's with Canon and full frame mirrors hitting things? Or do K mount aperture levers stick out A LOT more than F mount ones, since the flange focal distance isn't that much shorter?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

8th-samurai posted:

Yeah me too.

Maybe it's actually a tricycle?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Shoot from the back of a speeding motorcycle tour de france style.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

404notfound posted:

I have that lens too, with a Nikon body, and I completely forgot that Canon goes the other way. Guess I made the right choice :smugdog:

Doesn't the focus ring go the wrong way though?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

"We're having a nighttime candlelight-only lite wedding."

Barry Lyndon theme wedding.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Speed holes in the hood make the lens go faster.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

That reminded me of the educational crank-powered camera kit, turns out it's finally for sale, but at $90 it's a little steep for an impulse buy.

Or if you want to spend $200, apparently there's a Superheadz one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Helicity posted:

This chart is what kept me sane when I started worrying about collecting Takumar 55s, several versions of which are slightly radioactive, but not nearly as much as the Takumar 50 1.4s. As long as you don't keep them in a sack and then use that sack as a pillow you'll be fine.

So a banana is as radioactive as a threesome.