Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, even Rolleiflex isn't that expensive and their stuff has insane build quality with incredible lenses. They've been viewed as the most bang for the size for basically their entire production span (like 1930 to 1990), but they're not status symbols and thus don't command the insane prices of Leica.

Eh, a Rolleiflex 2.8F in good condition will sell for $1500+, which is probably more than a solid DS M3 and a collapsible 50 mm Summicron will run you. And modern Rolleiflex's sell for like $5K, which is right in line with what Leica sells the M7 and MP for.

So yeah, Rollei is that expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you buy the latest models, yeah. But you're not comparing against a top-of-the-line Leica there. I got a 3.5E Xenotar for $400 and there's a freshly CLA'd T with a Tessar that's been sitting in my local store for over a year. I've seen quite a few 2.8s going for $600-800. And you can get a Mamiya 7 for roughly $1200-1300.

I was trying to compare models from a similar time-period, during which the 2.8F and the M3 were absolutely the top-end Rollei and Leica models. The M3 was the last Leica ever made entirely out of brass and they introduced the M2 as a bargain alternative to it.

I'm not saying that the 3.5 models or that a Mamiya 7 aren't a better deal, but Leica isn't really so significantly out of whack when it comes to used gear.