Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Alright, in the market for a new backpack. Not sure how many of the "wants" I can hit in a single item, but all suggestions are welcome!

* Can hold a Pentax 645Z with "normal" lens, plus a handful of other stuff like an E-M1 + lenses
* Tripod pouch/pocket on the side preferably (for a decent size tripod+head)
* Airport carry on sized (sans tripod)

Would love for a slightly offset design so the tripod isn't just hanging far off one side, but not sure if that's feasible.

edit: Think Tank airport commuter ticks the boxes, but would like something that's more forest friendly too.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Raincover, exterior you can get a bit dirty and wipe down, basically something you can toss around in the woods a bit and not cry over it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Raincover, exterior you can get a bit dirty and wipe down, basically something you can toss around in the woods a bit and not cry over it.

Well, I just found a deal on a lightly used F-stop Tilopa with three inserts so going to give that a go.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

powderific posted:

If you go Nikon you could look at their new 200-500 too. I have no experience with the canon side of things so can’t offer much comparison otherwise.

The 200-500 looks incredibly nice for the money. Would like to try out a D500 + 200-500 combo to see how it stacks up to the Big Gear. Seen people do lovely work with it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

lampey posted:

A big ball head like arca swiss k1 or sirui k40x or a gimbal head works well for longer focal lengths. Knockoffs of the gimbal heads still work but wimberly are the premium option.

I have the Benro GH2 and quite like it. Not super cheap (300-350?) but very solid.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Oh man I found a 500PF in stock :gizz: pray for me that it's not a scam

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Encrypted posted:

The 5DS is garbage without mirror lockup or electronic first curtain due to shutter shock. Also the lack of in-body sensor stabilization means you have to be ultra steady or use a fast enough shutter speed to get a sharp image.
Its dynamic range is literally worse than the 5D mark IV's while having an ancient AF system from the 5D3 era that's almost 7 years old.

Canon basically tricked people into buying the camera for blurry 50MP photos.

Ehhh... I don’t see people welding their APS sensor cameras to concrete blocks to avoid blurry images and they seem to do fine. Pixel density of the 5DS is about the same as a modern APS sensor.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Encrypted posted:

Something else is going on with it then or just how big the full frame mirror is.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/9

Go look at the review of the D810 where they bitch about the same issue.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d810/17

And there are similar complaints regarding the A7R:
https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/the-visibility-of-a7r-shutter-shock/

That doesn't mean you can't get fine hand held shots with any of these cameras, or that the 50MP is wasted somehow. Saying "The 5DS is garbage without mirror lockup or electronic first curtain due to shutter shock. " is just ridiculous.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Encrypted posted:

After looking at it a bit more, you are right that you can still get decent image out of it. Just that you need to pay more attention to it than the lower MP bodies with higher shutter speed in general.

Still not as good as the bodies with IBIS that does better with regular shooting style though.

IBIS is definitely nice to have and helps in getting sharper results in many situations.

Regarding shutter speed overall, we are fortunate that modern sensors perform so well that it's no longer a big issue to bump the ISO a stop or two to reduce shutter speed. Easier to get rid of noise than blur.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ordered a black leatherette from Aki Asahi for my Coolpix. He also sent me a freebie one to practice with, but I ended up liking it so much it's staying on there. Maybe we need a Stupid Camera poo poo thread.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone here shooting with the Sigma 40/1.4? Finally broke down and ordered one but it'll be a week or so before I get it. Huge beast but seems to have some magic pixie dust sprinkled over it...

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, I for one will not be spending any more money at Adorama.

https://tinyurl.com/y6q8jkj3

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

FFS Canon hurry up and give us 7D mk II owners some glimpse of a real replacement.

What? The replacement's been around for years.

:D

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dr Strangepants posted:

Hello gear thread! I would like a recommendation for a camera, and I'm particularly curious if anyone knows of good Cyber Monday deals that might be happening. I see some cameras on Amazon but I'm not sure what this thread thinks of them.

• I'm interested in a Mirrorless with digital viewfinder for my first adjustable lens camera.
  • Budget is $1500 max for base, lens kit, accessories
  • My only current gear is old borrowed crap that nobody wants and a surprisingly adequate cell phone camera
  • I travel frequently for work, so I would like something that is solid for wide natural landscapes and cityscapes but I have also enjoyed doing artistic portraiture in the past and might get into it again.
  • I have purchased some books (such as Understanding Exposure) and have some optics background from a decade ago, but largely I am a giant noob.

I planned to do more research before posting this request but with the possibility of Cyber Monday sales I really wanted to hear if anyone in this thread noticed a good camera opportunity. Thanks in advance!

I'd give the Nikon Z50+16-50 a long, hard look. Despite the Youtube know-it-alls proclaiming the Death of Nikon with the change to the Z mount, it looks to be turning out a really solid system. The optics are excellent (check the review for the "kit" lens) and the roadmap is looking very good for the Z lenses.

But I am probably in the minority here!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Fools Infinite posted:

If you buy a z50 and want a prime lens your stuck with bulkier full frame lens, even if you choose to adapt. Canon has a couple of options at least, and Fuji/mft has multiple options at almost every focal length, and tons of cheap stuff on the used market.

The only apsc z mount lens announced is a super zoom. I think they make one prime for apsc f-mount that's not a macro or fisheye.

I'm sure the z50 and my lens covers what many people need, but it sure seems like less fun for the money.

You make a good point. I think of the Z50 + 16-50 as a compact-ish camera on steroids, not as much as a proper system. But the 28 pancake should make for a decent walkaround once released.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

powderific posted:

Dual SD instead of single XQD, Nikon's SLR autofocus, which is probably still better than their on chip, and I'm assuming significantly better battery life. But given the price of the Z6 now it seems kinda pricy.

The D780 lacks IBIS too.

It makes pretty decent sense to have a small-ish but capable full frame camera that's good at video alongside an über-DSLR like the D850 and the pro machine that is the D6. Covers the DSLR FX segment nicely.

Gotta say the Z lineup is nice though. Looks like Nikon is trying to outdo every F mount lens with the Z mount equivalent. Ergonomics are great and the EVF is the first that I haven't even noticed being an EVF (other than having a lot of info available).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

powderific posted:

They don't really have one in Z mount yet, unless the 24-70 kit lens is long enough for you. I always liked the 24-120 on my D800, but I think it's kinda big for the Z6 body.

Yeah, I put mine up for sale, it felt kind of ridiculous on the Z with the FTZ adapter. Hoping the coming 24-105 Z mount will be nice though, I would not mind an extra 35mm on the long end (that's what she said).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Just popped into the shop to try the Z6 and A7iii side by side.

I wish I hadn't. I was all but set on the A7iii but the viewfinder difference is like night and day IMO

Yeah, the EVF and ergonomics make a big difference. The Z feels like any other decent Nikon body and the EVF doesn't feel like one at all.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

beergod posted:

I loving hate that guy

Find me a YT camera gear reviewer who isn't a giant dickhole.

Luckily there are some solid photographers on there if you aren't so worried about the gear part.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Grimson posted:

Does anyone know of a good physical camera store in Berlin? I'm looking for a couple of items like an EF to M43 adapter and a video tripod head.

Fotomax?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GreaseGunner posted:

Manfrotto is good, I've always found their tripods to be on the heavier side. I personally use Sirui tripods and heads, they hit the good spot between lightweight and portable while still being heavy duty and reliable.

I like Sirui stuff too, it's a good buy if you don't want to fork out the $$$$ for Gitzo or similar stuff. But the Slik Pro 700DX is worth looking at too, it's been around forever (I bought one as my first "real" tripod back in the 90s) and is a solid, reliable piece of gear. Bit heavy perhaps but most better entry level tripods are.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

Just think of buying a lens as long term rental. That 70-200 2.8? It's gonna cost $100 a week to rent. Buy it up front, use it for a year, then sell it? It was $7.70 a week!

Or hang on to it forever because that lens owns. But the point is still valid.

Or just buy vintage Leica gear and it will pay you while using it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

I was looking at the A73, it seems like a decent amount of camera for the price - not sure the A7R3's extra pixels are worth the cost for me. The Z6 was my other main contender - I hate shooting with a rear screen so having a nice EVF is important.

The Z5 might be worth a look at too. I was expecting Nikon to remove stabilization to separate it from the Z6/Z7 but they did not. As long as you can live with a more moderate fps it's a pretty good deal.

FWIW, I've owned and shot with A7, A7II, A7RII, and have briefly used A7RIII. I like what people do with the Sony cameras and they are clearly technically capable. And I haven't had one break on me. But still, it doesn't come close to the "this thing just works" feeling I've gotten from my Nikon and Canon gear. Hard to put a finger on exactly what it is, but I think it's the general feel that things are a bit more solid, buttons a little bigger and have a more tactile feel, dials feeling more rugged etc. Basically I would not feel comfortable taking a Sony body out for a hike in crap weather, or on a longer trip as an only camera.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think it made life simpler for Canon which translated in to less R&D effort, lower costs (lower RRP or more profit) and simpler customer support/sale pitching. By comparison, Nikon always had a spaghetti of body-lens compatibility, the cost of including the in-body autofocus on the higher end bodies, the cost of the mechanical diaphragm mechanism, etc. Death by a thousand papercuts for a benefit that was actually only relevant to a minority of the customer base.

I used to enjoy pointing out the "compatibility matrix" to the Nikon fanbois where lens A would work on body B but explode on body C and lens B might create a black hole if you use ISO 400 film with it and so on and so forth.

Pretty happy they started fresh with the Z series. The glass has been loving outstanding so far.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Deviant posted:

imagine being able to buy a raspberry pi in 2022

you might as well have told them to put the data on their unicorn

Where are you located? Here in Sweden they started showing again up a while back so both 2GB and 8GB Pi 4 are readily available.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

big black turnout posted:

I have a D750 and it feels fine so far but I haven't worn it for more than an hour or so at a time yet

I hang a Z9 + various glass off mine and it's never been uncomfortable. Great strap.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

There’s an 800mm RF lens that’s 1000 bucks. F/11, so you’ll need full sun, but if you want bird and airplane pics that’s probably a better bet than anything else.

It’s surprisingly good and with a modern camera body you can accomplish a lot even with f/11. Was sitting in a hide next to a guy using one and he kept shooting into the evening and getting decent results at ISO 12800.

A LF 800mm would _not_ perform very well though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

rowkey bilbao posted:

What's wrong with a Canon eos 40d that's been sitting in a closet and won't turn on after I put in a new and charged main battery?

There are 0 signs of life. Next I want to try and change the date battery but I'd rather save the cost if it's pointless.

Clean all the electrical contacts (battery connection in body and lens / lens mount) carefully. See if that makes a difference. Sometimes they can look fine but still not provide a solid connection.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

You can modify the 85mm so the shift and tilt is in the same direction. Some instructions buried in this thread:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=23000

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Kind of. In googling how to clean my camera sensor, I learned that there is a thin layer of glass over the actual sensor itself. So when you clean the sensor, you’re really cleaning the glass.

Then are you truly cleaning the sensor?

Makes u think

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Nikon's Z line-up never fails to confuse and scare me.

The Z8 and Z9 went to an electronic only shutter. It's excellent for most uses, since there's nothing mechanical moving and thus no wear. Also for bird/wildlife shooters it's nice to have a completely silent camera. You can set it up to have a fake shutter sound if it helps, though I chose to set mine up to just flash a red frame when you're firing the shutter. It's nice to have _something_ that indicates things are actually happening.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

thankyou for this, that 40mm appeals, especially if it’s weather sealed unlike the 35mm, is newer too, and very similar in price

do love me a chonky sigma

The Siggy 40 is just ridiculously good. Bought one when it was released and I am never letting go of it. I swear I can spot the shots from it in the thumbnails in Lightroom because it’s just that special. But yeah, it is a big bitch of a lens. And weather sealed.

If I remember right Roger Cicala of Lensrentals showed it performing on par with the Otus 55. I think the Sigma 105/1.4 puts out equally impressive performance.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, today was sort of my lucky day. Found a 500EL/m kit in ”probably doesn’t work” condition for 500 bucks. Figured I’d gamble on it and ended up picking up the body + finder + A12 back + Planar 80 T*. Of course lens was stuck on there and body had locked up halfway through the shutter cycle. Someone had probably hosed around with it and made it worse at some point; I tried the simple trick of turning the little screw inside to cock the lens shutter but it wasn’t moving. At all. Lens release button was stuck pushed in as well.

Googled around a bit and found a japanese (?) video showing how to disassemble it a bit further in order to be able to get the lens off and drat if it didn’t work. Followed the video and had to wiggle and push/pull some things but suddenly the lens just popped right off. Cocked the shutter on it with a coin and put it on a known working body. Turns out it works just fine, with clean shutter and aperture blades and shutter speeds that seem reasonable. Yay.

The 500c/m I have had a pretty cosmetically worn back, chrome finder on a black body, and a chrome non-T 80mm. Now it’ll get the nice black T* lens, a pristine black finder, and a much nicer looking A12 back.

So the chrome Planar, worn but functioning A12 back, chrome finder and 500EL/m for-parts-only body goes up for sale on the local auction site. Surely I should recoup my 500 bucks and then some? Either way I am pleased with my now all-black rig.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 29, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Just landscapes? Then I would consider the Z7. The Z7ii has better autofocus and a few other things you might like but a preowned Z7 go for £1100 these days. A z7ii new is £2400, preowned they are like £1800.

Agreed, the Z7 is an amazing value today. I prefer it over the Z8/Z9 for landscapes since I think the files are a little nicer.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Muir posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about the files -- in what way are they nicer?

Looks like my local camera store has a used Z7 with around 10,000 shutter count for $1200 and it comes with the L-bracket which I think I'd want anyway. So that sounds like a great option.

It's hard to pinpoint but I feel the Z8/Z9 files are a bit "grittier"/harsher at lower ISOs. Of course the cameras themselves are outstanding and I'll bring one of them along if anything moves, but for landscapes specifically it feels like the Z7 sensor is just a tiny bit better. Maybe a bit more DR, a little smoother files.

And yeah, L-bracket is great on the Z7. The camera's a bit short so with normal sized hands your pinky falls off the bottom of the grip. Plus, L-brackets in general are excellent for landscapes. Just make sure you have a tripod head that takes arca-swiss brackets.

edit: dxomark also thinks the Z7 sensor is ever so slightly better. https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-Z7-versus-Nikon-Z8___1270_1386

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

blue squares posted:

Why are L brackets nice for landscapes? Just to be able to put your camera in vertical mode when using a tripod or is there another reason I am not aware of?

Exactly. You can quickly flip it into portrait mode. I use a ballhead most of the time and if you want to make a portrait orientation shot without the L-bracket you have to first rotate the base around so the slot is to either side, then loosen the ballhead and rotate the camera. Then hope your tripod is level so you don't end up at 85 degrees instead of 90 and have to adjust the legs to compensate etc.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

powderific posted:

Tamron and Sigma both have Z mount lenses now, but not many yet as they're just starting. Nikon's 1st party lineup is pretty solid at this point though.

Yeah, unless you are looking for more unusual stuff like a tilt/shift the lens lineup is pretty drat impressive. Tamron releasing third party lenses was no surprise since Nikon's been rebadging a handful (e.g. the 70-180) and it was probably done with the agreement that Tamron would get the keys to the kingdom at some point.

What is really nice is that at many focal lengths you get options. You can get the 50/1.8 or 1.2. The 85/1.8 or 1.2. The 14-30/4 or 14-24/2.8 etc. The only one I really miss is a 70-200/4 but my adapted F mount one will have to suffice for now. The tele/supertele lineup is amazing too: 100-400, 400/2.8, 400/4.5, 600/6.3, 600/4, 800/6.3, 180-600.

Only reason I can really see to go third party at this point is some specialty lens or if you just want a cheaper option than the Nikon stuff.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah whenever I get GAS, I have to remind myself that I currently own a setup that I used to dream of and could in no way even think of affording when it was new.

There will always be something better coming out

I'd like to think that as time passes we all mature and come to the realization that the gear we used to dream of has now been surpassed by even better gear that we need to acquire.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Nikon's official line was they would allow 3rd party lenses that complimented the line up.
Now they have their roadmap done their own releases will probably slow down and I'd imagine they will more freely let others (besides tamron) to release lenses. Sigma have some aps-c lenses out but nothing ff yet.

An open format like Sony or Fuji would be better but atleast it's not like what canon are doing.

Nikon's 1.8 primes are great but a little on the large side. I'd personally like some 3rd party smaller options even if a touch of image quality is the price. Or if Nikon repeated what they did with the f2 40mm and 28mm at other focal lengths.

Don't forget the 26mm f/2.8 which is pretty drat small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

astr0man posted:

F-stop also carries a lot of larger actual backpacking packs that work the same way with the rear access to the camera cube, but I haven't tried any of them. I think with anything larger than the 25L I'd definitely want to take the bag off to get to the camera compartment.

I have the Tilopa and the Satori (along with small/medium/large ICUs) and I think they are about as good as it gets when it comes to photography backpacks. Even the Satori which is pretty big works well when you swing it around on the hip belt and fold it down to access the gear. Plus they are comfortable backpacks you can carry all day, and with the small/medium ICU they will fit a fair amount of other poo poo.