Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Admiral Bosch posted:

Early Christmas present from dad got here. I have a strong feeling this is going to be my favorite lens in my small collection. Canon 85mm F1.9 in l39 screw mount(if that wasn't obvious). It is fuckin *hefty*.

Badass. Is that a IIIa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I want to get into super teles for the first time, for outdoorsy nature photos. Nikon Z, very open to adapting F lenses, especially since I'm on a budget. I can get a Nikon 200-500/5.6 for about 850€ used, should I be looking into the various Sigma/Tamron 150-600 versions? Or if the Z mount 180-600 VR is actually the best budget option (once it's in stock)?

I suspect you'll be waiting until next summer before you can score a 180-600. The 200-500 is a very good lens and I've seen them go for as low as 700 EUR (equivalent here in Sweden). If budget allows the 100-400Z is an outstanding piece of glass though and more versatile unless you are planning to shoot birds in which case you need all the focal length you can afford.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

I’m looking for a smallish backpack to throw my camera and an extra lens in for day trips around town or to the kids soccer games. Anyone have a Fjallraven Kanken and have thoughts on it? They have good reviews as a backpack and I’m wondering if it could be a good little photography bag. I just don’t want anything sling style and I don’t care if it’s a “camera” bag, if anyone has other suggestions.

I love Fjällräven in general but Kånken isn't a particularly good backpack at all, more of a hipster accessory (it was originally designed as a grade school backpack). The straps are pretty narrow and uncomfortable if you carry any weight at all. My go-to smaller backpack is a Fjällräven High Coast rolltop which has a good carry system and is waterproof.

Either way I would not throw a camera into one without some sort of insert.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

That tripod head is my dream but yeah the price is a huge shock.

But everyone that has one loves the poo poo out of it.

What is it you like about the C1? I see people raving about it but I don’t know what makes it so amazeballs you’d want to sell a child and carry around a 2,5 lbs tripod head.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

I love geared heads and all the affordable ones are kinda garbage. The C1 is allegedly immune to drift or sagging.

I currently use a sunwayfoto gh-pro 2 and it's done well for me but is prone to dropping slightly when I release the knob.

I have a Manfrotto 410 and can’t say that I notice any issues.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I don't care about quality that much. I'm just so sick of old and used cameras which are out of warranty and don't work anymore. A camera which has a guarantee, and a manufacturer which will most likely service any camera they made "forever", would give a peace of mind that I don't have to think about broken poo poo or how to get it fixed. The Zeiss and Bessa cameras are all old I think too, 10+ years old at least today.

Mechanical Leicas can probably be serviced for decades to come. I had no trouble getting an M3 from the 50s serviced including some parts replaced.

The newer M6 is probably good to go for a long time too, but the older one apparently has an issue with some circuit board for the meter no longer being available. I like built in meters but if I was wanting one I'd get a newer model or just stick to external (shoe mount) meters.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

big black turnout posted:

God drat it now y'all have me thinking that maybe the z8 is reasonable off the back of the money I'll save sticking with Nikon...

With the new firmware update AF is even better, it gets a bird specific subject detection mode, and it gets a few pixel shift options as well. The Z8 isn't cheap but it's a ridiculously good camera. You get the high framerate, high resolution, 8k video and overall stellar performance in one single package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Bear in mind the Z8 has no mechanical shutter at all if that’s a consideration for you, but I’ve heard it’s an excellent camera regardless

No mechanical shutter but a sensor readout speed of something like 3.6ms.