Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

dupersaurus posted:

I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm thinking about what to bring on a trip to Italy, and could use some advice.

What I've got:
  • My phone
  • D5500
  • Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC -- Obviously I'm bringing this
  • Tamron 70-300mm 4.0-5.6 -- On the fence. It'll be too slow for most interior stuff, but there will be plenty of outdoor opportunities; I just don't know if anything will need the range

What I'm considering renting
  • Something around 10mm -- Might be nice for cathedrals and stuff, but feels like limited utility
  • Something around 35mm and 1.4/1.8 -- Overlaps with the Tamron. The VC saved my rear end in the past in dark cathedrals (down to 1/20 hand-held), but that was with a camera 5x fewer pixels, so it might have been more forgiving? Two extra stops might be nice insurance to have in the pocket, even if I don't use it much.

Any thoughts?

Bring the 17-50 and consider getting either a 35mm or 24mm prime for walking around. Tamron makes a nice 35mm f/1.8 with VC that I would own in a heartbeat if I owned a Nikon DSLR but the Nikon DX 35mm is cheap as hell. The D5500 has decent high ISO so don't fret too much. I use one at work and regularly push it to 6400 for eBay product shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Yeah I'm on Fuji but couldn't live without my 10-24. I do a lot of urban landscapes and 14-20 is my sweet spot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh yeah all the discussion about that kinda made me put the lid on that idea. I did want a better camera, but maybe that's just not possible to achieve on my budget so I'll just continue as is then.

What is your budget?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Trying to get a flash + remote trigger for my X-T2. I do have some older (but not so old that they'll fry digital cameras) flashes that only work in manual mode on the Fuji, via hot shoe or sync cord. I was originally thinking about a Yongnuo YN560III with one of the tx controllers, or just two of the speedlight units, but I didn't realize that they're manual-only. I guess I know that studio and other controlled situations are the main use cases for off-camera flash, but I was hoping to get something that would do TTL exposure too. I can use my existing flashes with the X-T2 in manual mode just fine. (Speaking of which, is there any plug-in radio trigger solution for making those off-camera with remotely adjustable output? I have big old Minolta, Bronica, and Nikon flashes from the 80s.)

So is the Godox TT350F the best value for higher-powered TTL flash on Fuji? I'm considering picking up one with an X1T trigger.

The TT350F is good but not high powered. It's good enough for most use bur it's powered by 2 AAs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The 350 is enough for light off camera use. I've used mine for indoor headshot sessions but that was frustrating enough for me to buy a pair of AD200s. However, nonpro use would be fine. I regularly pack my 350 and trigger just in case I need lighting in a pinch.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 18, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pls dont dox me

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

knox_harrington posted:

Is a Sony RX100 original version still a reasonable buy for a point and shoot? I am moving country to somewhere pretty and want to have something handy to take places with me.

I already have an oldish dSLR, it's a Canon 550 which I use with a Tamron 17-50 and gets nice photos but it's annoying to carry around. I don't really have a budget but the £279 for the RX100 looks reasonable and it seems a good compromise between size/weight and image quality. I appreciate it's an old model but it's 1/4 the cost of the latest version.

Get at least the M2 imo, with no EVF the tilty screen is a must have. I had one for like a month and it wasn't quite what I wanted but I would have kept it if I didn't own an x100f.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
If you make money at all from your photos insurance is inexpensive. I have 1 mill liability and 7k of equipment coverage through Hiscox for $35 a month.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

HPL posted:

Did your insurance company make you get an underwriter's report for your gear? I have a bunch of old used gear, so it's not like I had receipts to present them.

Funny thing is, the first time the insurance company mentioned an underwriter, the first thing that popped in to my head was: BONG.... Dead man writing... Bah gawd!

No they didn't.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Verman posted:

I live in Seattle so Glazer camera. They seem like the only/biggest place around. When I lived in Chicago, there were tons of places They stock most of the big names/styles you are going to see on B&H/Adorama (Thinktank, Manfrotto, LowePro, Vanguard, Tenba, Mindshift, Tamrac etc). Prices were pretty standard compared to what you see online. Their store is close to my office so I was able to walk over on my lunch break and look around. Its got that new photography store feel to it where everything is clearly newly built and they planned the layout for their business versus a shop thats been in the same space for 100 years and has merchandise piled on top of one another.

Kenmore camera just north of the city has a better bag selection imo. Also yeah Glazers just built that space a year or two ago. It used to be much more cramped.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bikini Quilt posted:

It's a D3300, so no body motor.

And is it really that uncommon to use a wide angle for landscapes? I was under the impression that it was basically the norm, with a major exception being that zooms are way better for shooting mountains since a wide angle tends to make them look puny. I tend to favor shooting vertically too, which seems like it favors wide angles in most situations.

Or do you just mean ultras?

They likely mean that people think all you need to shoot a landscape is a wide enough view. Forgetting that wide lenses leave lots of space in your composition to fill. I find wide angles less useful for vertical compositions, on those I tend to use the 35mm FOV at the most.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I do a lot of my shooting carrying a 10-24 and a 35mm lens. Most of my urban shots are between 16 and 20mm.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I use AWB almost exclusively because Fuji is magic. Also lol if you ever believe single thing a person says subjectively about a Leica. Leicas are great, Leica people are trash heaps.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I mean it's not about your gear tho, literally every single camera made in the last 5-8 years is good enough. Leica can gently caress right off with charging hot blowjob prices for lukewarm handjobs tho.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks thread. I think I am done gear-wise. I'll probably spend the next couple of weeks years sucking at photography while I am getting to know my gear the creative process.

fixed that for you

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

taco show posted:

I tried to shoot a bunch of still lifes this past week and I need a shutter trigger even with the tripod. I tried to get the Fuji-recommended one (RR-90) and it definitely does not fit in my XT-2. The slot that's in the panel on my camera is much fatter than the RR-90 plug.

I ended up using the Fuji remote phone app, but it ate through my batteries very quickly, and you have to use the app to modify aperture/ISO/shutter speed - the mechanical dials on the camera don't change the settings.

So what is the ideal set up? What's the right shutter release? Should I give up on the shutter release and figure out how to tether to Lightroom? Is there a better way to power the camera?

You could use a mechanical cable release. They are like 10 dollars.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rincewind101 posted:

hello - while film dies a terrible death, i am still interested in buying film lenses for my tiny 40 year old Nikon FM
to confirm, old Nikons can still use Ai lenses, yes? it just has to use an F-mount?
i could stick this on it and the in-viewfinder meter would still work?

Yes that will work on your FM but don't buy it unless you absolutely need f/1.4, the 35mm f/2 Ai is sharper for less money.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The Rokinon is gigantic and doesn't have an automatic diaphragm. It is optically very good though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I wasn't aware of that, my bad. I just thought it was their MO on manual lenses. I've only ever used XF mount Rokinons.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

qirex posted:

Is there a go-to for tabletop/mini tripods? I tried a Gorillapod when they first came out and didn't really dig it since it was hard to balance and it acted like a spring when you hit the shutter. Since I can trigger my camera from an app now I guess the shutter is less of an issue. I just want something tiny, the Manfrotto Pixi seems to pop up a lot. Any other suggestions?

I have an ultrapod 2. It suits my needs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

spog posted:

Thanks.

What are you doing for lighting? I don't have any external light sources, so one of the appeals of these kits was that they included little LEDS

The included LED will probably be just a bulb and a cord. If you want something dim-able and more easily diffused look into the small cheap LED panels. They are usually powered by Sony Camcorder batteries but you can buy a couple of them cheaply. Yongnuo makes a very good bare bones option http://a.co/iDhNU1N, I had two of the older versions of this and they were plenty bright for tabletop work and light portrait work.

EDIT: I had YN300 lights which are apparently the same thing but brighter since this has a built in diffuser. My version also didn't have selectable color temp.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 16, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Verman posted:

What's the go-to cheap on camera flash at this point? I'm using a Sony A7iii but gently caress paying Sony $300-600 for a flash. I have a wedding to shoot at the end of September and I mostly just need one for low light shots. I try to do natural light for most of my wedding work. I used to shoot with a Canon 5d2 and 430EXii but it was all stolen when my place was broken into earlier this year.

I'm looking at a Godox 685 or something similar. Radio is nice though not a deal breaker but it looks like at this point it doesn't really add to the cost. I don't care too much one way or the other on batteries, though 4xAA is more universal and I won't have to worry about finding weird batteries years from now. I have a pile of eneloops so I would just stick with AA for the time being.

Godox. I use their smaller TT350 as an on camera flash at weddings. It's a little slow but I only use it for dancing so no biggy. I've never heard a complaint about the 685 tho for the record.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

fatman1683 posted:

My wife has been a portrait and wedding photographer for awhile, but she's looking very seriously at transitioning to video to do documentaries and short films.

She currently uses a 1D Mk III and a 5D Mk II, both of which predate the rise of widespread DSLR video and so are lacking in a lot of modern features, so I'm looking to upgrade her. I figure we can get about $1000 total if we sell both of her current bodies, so that's the arbitrary budget I'm setting for the new body.

At present I'm torn between getting a used C100 so she can do proper professional video, or a new video-friendly but lower-end DSLR, something like an 80D. I'm sure there are other options out there so I'm open to suggestions, but I'd prefer to stay with Canon (or at least the EF system) so she can use her existing lenses for awhile.

What lenses does she have? You should get well over 1k for those bodies unless they are wrecked.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

fatman1683 posted:

From looking on eBay, I think I can reliably get ~400 for the 1D and ~600 for the 5D. They're in good shape, but they're just not all that desirable anymore it seems. If there's a better place to try and sell them let me know.

For lenses, she has an 80-200 f/2.8 L, a 20-35 f/2.8L, and a 28-80 f/2.8-4 L. I can think of use cases for all of these for documentary video, and would probably add a couple of fast primes.

Whoops I miss read your post, I thought that was a 5d3 not a 1d3. I ask about lenses because if sell them as well you can open a lot of options.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

refleks posted:

Well, long story short: Bought a Canon DSLR 10 years ago, and the last few years I haven't really used it because I got tired of lugging it around, so now I want to get a smaller mirrorless.

I have been looking at different Fujifilms, and was just wanting to keep an eye out if something popped up for Black Friday somewhere. I dont' have anything at the moment so I'm just looking for a body + base lenses. I have tried looking through local used sites, but unfortunately the market is kinda small around here

Basically, looking to buy an X-T20, or X-T2...

I'm selling my XT-2 in the selling thread. I don't mind shipping internationally as long as you cover the cost.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
That's totally fair. Just thought I'd mention it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

theHUNGERian posted:

In my (limited) experience, continuous autofocus does a better job of focusing moving subjects (butterflies) than I ever could by hand while looking at a tiny 3" screen. Edit: And for still life, of course I use manual focus.

Thanks. I had a feeling the answer would be Pentax, the company I am least familiar with.

The Fuji GFX will do 1:1 with the 120mm macro if you use their 45mm ext tube

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

uXs posted:

I got an X-T4 and a 16-55mm lens and had a BlackRapid Cross Shot Breathe strap included in the order. I've been trying it and the default Fuji strap a bit, and I'm not fully convinced by either.

I like how the BlackRapid connects to the bottom so it hangs with the lens down, and that I can slide it across the strap. I don't like how the entire mechanism (connection ring, carabiner) is so bulky, and rather convoluted to attach & detach. The extra safety tether (which I do want to use for the security) makes it even worse. And the rubber part that goes over my shoulder seems too big as well.

As for the Fuji strap, I like how it's far less bulky and more light. It's rather short though, and I can't attach it to the bottom of the camera. And attaching or removing it takes like a calendar year.

So, any recommendations for something that combines the best of both?

Something that attaches to the bottom, not too bulky, easy to attach/detach but still secure?

(I've seen the Peak Design ones but I'm not entirely convinced.)

Peak Designs is great if you want to swap straps out easily. I also use their handgrip on my G9 and it rules.

If you you want a strap that can be either a sling or a long neck strap get one of these:

https://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/quick-adjust-camera-sling-strap-1

I use it on my x100f, since you are rocking the 16-55mm you might want to consider the 1.5" model but either way it's a great minimalist strap.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Megabound posted:

Canon L1 or VL, or anything else Canon rangefinder.

Those are LTM tho

teraflame posted:

Whats the best value film leica m mount camera? Looking to use a 40mm 1.2 mostly.

I'm out of the loop but as of a few years ago the Zeiss Ikon RF would be the perfect. Not crazy expensive and a nice long RF base for accurate f/1.2 focusing.

https://www.35mmc.com/19/03/2016/zeiss-ikon-review/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

konica hexars are somehow cheaper, leica cl and minolta cle's are as well.

I'm not sure I'd put an f/1.2 lens on a CLE don't they have really short RF bases? The Hexars are cool but there's anecdotes going back to the 90s of them not quite focusing with M mount lenses and I'm not sure if anyone still services them.

Yeah, the Ikon looks like it's up there in price but still cheaper than an M6 in a quick ebay search.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Does it have to be white? I use a $15 synthetic wool blanket I bought years ago as a background. The heavier weight and the texture of the fabric helps hide any wrinkles or whatever in the background.

If it does have to be white I'd be tempted to go to like Joann Fabric and see if they have any scrap white fleece in sizes you need. I go there for interesting cloth to do product shots on.

Then just buy whatever background stand you can afford (check craigslist first) and some clamps to hold the background on. If you get a beefyier stand you can use magic arms to mount hairlights and stuff but you don't need anything fancy as long as you already own lightstands that will work in your space.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I recently bought some Transcend V90 cards on Amazon and they run fine in my G9. Could be that making fake 64gb cards of an unpopular brand is not worth their time tho.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

pumped up for school posted:

I recently started shooting astro with a cheap Nikon 5200. I want a second body. Those are cheap and easy to find, but wondered if there's a hidden gem model out there I should be looking for instead. All our lenses are F-mount so I feel kind of locked in. Crop sensor is fine. Everything is manual so I don't care about the focus screw on the body, either. Primary features I'm most focused on are flip screen and if there's anything that does particularly better in low light.

Any advice for someone trying to avoid over researching old cameras and getting stuck by indecision paralysis?

Astro folks love the D5300 and the D600. I worked for a Lifepixel for a few years and those were the most commonly bodies people recommended. The reasons cited were quite varied and may be apocryphal. Have you considered a hydrogen alpha mod? That would open your red sensitivity up a bit and while not giving you better low light response you do get better signal to noise and some more usable colors in nebulas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Grimson posted:

I've been doing some freelance photo and video work for sports teams and I'm pleased with my Canon 5D Mk3 for photography, but I really need to update the video side where I've been using an 80D. I'm getting a headache reading up on camera bodies but I think I've narrowed it down to the Sony A7III and the Lumix S5. But I also got the Lumix DC BGH-1 in there as a wildcard, cause why not? My main concerns is that it needs to do video real well and preferably have a good autofocus system since I'll be shooting sports and people moving around quickly. Does anyone here have any preferences or experiences with either camera? Or is there another camera I should be looking at? I've also considered the BMD Pocket 4K, but I can't remember why I've discarded it right now.

As already mentioned the S5 has meh AF in video mode. I have done 1 wedding with mine so far and a ton of outdoor portrait sessions with both kids and dogs, the stills CAF is as good or better than my Fuji cameras were and I have no complaints. As far as video AF, very meh. My shooting partner has an S1 and we both pull manual focus for lower light gigs video gigs. I think brightly lit stuff might be ok as long as you don't mind some DFD wobble. The big draw for Lumix video is the dual IS IMO, 6 stops of stabilization lets you get away with handholding stuff in tight spaces where a tripod or even monopod would not be feasible.

Take my video comments as YMMV tho as I am just branching out into motion work this year so I don't have nearly the experience as I do with stills.

A Canon R6 might also be a good overall upf=grade for you and let's you use your EF mount lenses with an adapter.