Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Looking for some camera advice. I am almost exclusively into landscape photography, including on backpacking trips. I currently have a Nikon D7200 and am considering moving up to a full frame camera. I'm leaning heavily towards mirrorless for size/weight reasons. I have read that Nikon and Sony are the front runners for my use case due to having the highest dynamic range. Is that accurate, or should I consider other brands as well? I have a slight preference for Nikon due to nostalgia and having a couple of old Nikon manual lenses from my parents (I believe these would still work on a Nikon Z with an FTZ adapter), but if there are compelling reasons to pick a different brand I'm happy enough to do so.

In Nikon, it seems like the Z7 II is my best choice, as it has a smaller form factor than the Z8 or Z9, and perhaps a slightly better dynamic range than them as well? Am I getting that right?

In Sony, what model(s) should I consider?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Agreed, the Z7 is an amazing value today. I prefer it over the Z8/Z9 for landscapes since I think the files are a little nicer.

I'm not sure what you mean about the files -- in what way are they nicer?

Looks like my local camera store has a used Z7 with around 10,000 shutter count for $1200 and it comes with the L-bracket which I think I'd want anyway. So that sounds like a great option.

Muir fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 30, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

blue squares posted:

Why are L brackets nice for landscapes? Just to be able to put your camera in vertical mode when using a tripod or is there another reason I am not aware of?

Yeah, for vertical mode while still being centered over the tripod instead of having the head swung down to the side.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

genuinely, put your hands on a nikon Z7, a sony a7riv, and an a7cr. (assuming a7rv is too pricey)

beyond the handling/screen setup, consider the viewfinder if you use that. it's quite different between all of those i listed.

as far as image quality/resolution, they're all close enough.

i ended up with a sony a couple years ago because i wanted access to a broader range of lenses. i made that decision preferring the feel of the nikon (and having used nikon for my entire life). backpacking is my main thing too.

if i were buying again now, i'd buy the a7cr.

Good advice, I'll get my hands on these at the shop as well and see what feels best.

What lenses do you find yourself using most for backpacking photography? I wasn't thinking I'd need much more than, say, the 14-30mm f/4 and the 24-200mm f/4-6.3.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It's hard to pinpoint but I feel the Z8/Z9 files are a bit "grittier"/harsher at lower ISOs. Of course the cameras themselves are outstanding and I'll bring one of them along if anything moves, but for landscapes specifically it feels like the Z7 sensor is just a tiny bit better. Maybe a bit more DR, a little smoother files.

And yeah, L-bracket is great on the Z7. The camera's a bit short so with normal sized hands your pinky falls off the bottom of the grip. Plus, L-brackets in general are excellent for landscapes. Just make sure you have a tripod head that takes arca-swiss brackets.

edit: dxomark also thinks the Z7 sensor is ever so slightly better. https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-Z7-versus-Nikon-Z8___1270_1386

Interesting about the files. I did see that the specs put Z7 sensor above Z8 and Z9, surprisingly.

I have the Peak Design tripod and the two set pins come out to allow Arca brackets so I think it should be good to go.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's a wildly personal decision. i carry a 21mm lens and a 70-200. i clearly don't care about "missing" a range of focal lengths lots of people find essential. i just take steps forward and back. i'm kinda there to walk around.

Oh, certainly a personal decision. I was just wondering for you since you said lens choice was what pushed you to pick Sony, if there were particular lenses you had in mind that you couldn't get in Nikon.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

i think i could get versions of those two lenses in the nikon S system just fine, though they'd both be more expensive, and the 20/21mm or whatever would probably be heavier than what i carry.

i love nikon bodies, but resented the degree to which they were, at the time, controlling the lens ecosystem. i haven't really kept up, but i think that might be changing?

Got it, makes sense. I'm not sure how that's going these days either.

The same store also has a used Sony a7RIV in "excellent" condition (no shutter count given) for $1800, so that will be a hot contender for me as well. I'll try to get into the shop soon and get my hands on them both.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Well, I had some unexpected time open up today so I went into the camera store to look at the Nikon and the Sony. Honestly, and perhaps unsurprisingly, they felt very similar. I went in pre-disposed to the Nikon, as it's what I'm used to, but I was also tempted by the higher resolution of the Sony. Long story short, I stuck with the Nikon, though I would've been quite happy with the Sony. Besides nostalgia and familiarity, I liked the Nikon better for two UI reasons -- the little screen on top for showing settings, and the position of the two custom function buttons being down on the front by my fingertips rather than up where I'd have to stretch my thumb a bit to reach behind the shutter button.

Besides the great deal on the used Z7 ($1200), I was able to still get the Nikon instant rebates from Black Friday/Cyber Week on the two lenses I wanted: NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR, $799 instead of $899, NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S for $1149 instead of $1349. We'll see how much they offer me for my old trade-in (D7200 and five DX lenses but nothing particularly pricey), I'd be pleased with $400-$500 given the used prices I'm seeing on Adorama. I've gotta wait a week for them to evaluate the trade-in value before I can finish the transaction and take the gear home, but the order is in so I can get those rebates locked in.

I think these two lenses will keep me for quite some time. I could see getting the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S in a few years when my kids are old enough to be doing sports in a real way, and maybe a fast prime like a 50mm f/1.8 for indoors/low light eventually, but not for a while.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I have the Peak Design 45L Travel Backpack if you have any questions about it. I am very happy with it as a travel backpack and have taken it on lots of trips, it's the only bag/luggage I use for trips on the order of a week. It also has lots of anchor points to mount one of their camera cubes into it, including in a position where you could access right into it from a side zip.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

blue squares posted:

Do you fit it as a carryon? I spent $1,000 on 8 bags from AER (I'm going to return all but one or two haha) but if none of them work maybe I will try PD. I had the Everyday Backpack and I liked it, but ended up returning it. It's really expensive and I didn't feel like the shelves worked for my gear.

Yes, with no problems. In its Expanded mode it's technically a touch too thick but it meets the requirements in Standard or Compressed mode. And in real life, even in Expanded mode it's fine, nobody has ever hassled me about it being an inch too thick. Roller bags seem to get all the scrutiny, I think you'd have to have a truly gargantuan backpack to have the airline staff ask you to check its dimensions.

The Travel Backpack doesn't have any shelves, the main compartment is just one giant space. You'd make your own organization with packing cubes and the like. I've also used it just fine without much cube organization.

Muir fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 4, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Budget airlines like RyanAir sometimes make everyone stick their bags in the thing and bitch at you if like a strap snags on it (which is why the 20L works perfectly) but normal airlines seem a bit more chill, especially on widebody planes with way more space in the overhead compartment. The exact official dimensions vary a bit but this is what I had on my United flight

35L mode is fine (well 1cm too thick), 45 is way over in thickness but as you say would probably be ok.

Yeah, I've never flown RyanAir and try to avoid budget airlines like them and Spirit. One nice feature of the Travel 45L is how all the straps tuck away. You can fold the shoulder straps under the flaps and carry it like a duffel with the mid-back handle to avoid straps snagging.

I wouldn't call 0.5 inches "way over". The 45L is 22" x 13" x 9.5". If the bag isn't stuffed to the gills, you could probably shove it into a 22" x 14" x 9" space on demand.

Edit: if you don't need 45L (you said 20L is enough space for you), look at the Peak Design Travel Backpack 30L. I don't have one, but their website says that the camera cubes will fit in expanded mode, and then the bag would be 53cm x 34cm x 20cm (20.9" x 13.4" x 7.9") on the outside.

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 5, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

DO NOT take a picture of the moon

DO NOT gently caress with the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75VLQuFPrY

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

If you like having the best and will pay what it's worth, then you probably want to start over. I just sold my Nikon D7200 and five decent DX lenses to move into full frame mirrorless. I stayed with Nikon but at that point it wouldn't have mattered if I'd switched brands since I wasn't keeping any lenses. The new Z mount lenses are all new and excellent, and the Z mount's geometry lets in a lot more light.

It sounds like doing a lot of the image processing in camera is important to you? If so, I would let that guide your choice among brands.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Peak Design Everyday Backpack Zip 15 L is pretty small.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

yeah it comes with In-Brick Imagination Stimulation

Perfect, no notes, you should feel very proud of this.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm having a bag/storage crisis at the moment and need suggestions for any brands or models I might be overlooking. I changed up my kit a bit and my previous solution of a camera cube in a normal backpack is no longer cutting it for flights and short trips.

Kit:

2 canon bodies
24-70 2.8
50 1.2
70-200 2.8
hotshoe flash
accessory bag (fits in about the same size as a hotshoe flash)

Needs:

Good organization without being bulky or taking up the whole bag. I mostly travel with one bag including camera gear, so I need space for a few rolled up clothing items and a small toiletry bag.

Backpack style, no rollers or messengers.

14" laptop compartment

Tripod holder/water bottle sleeve would be a nice to have but not required

Ease of access in TSA line would also be great

Bags I've tried: Peak Design 30L everyday, Think Tank Retrospective, Manfrotto Pro Light, Wandrd Provoke (don't know which size it was)

Peak Design Travel 45 L with the large camera cube? In expanded mode or even normal mode you should for sure be able to fit some rolled up clothes and a toiletry bag even though the large cube technically takes up all three zones. I think their video on the cube and zone system walks through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Those do look pretty dang nice.