Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

A friendly reminder to buy used. I just ordered, after a lot of trepidation, an "BGN" rated Nikon 80-200 2.8 from KEH. I borrowed one in perfect condition a few months ago and liked what I got out of it, but wanted to save money on this lens ($800 as opposed to $1400 or more for something of similar quality, new). I'm making very large prints so little imperfections would be a pain, but I bought it anyway.

I remain amazed at how conservative KEH is with gradings. BGN is "70-79% of original condition. Shows more than average wear for the age of the item. May have dents, dings and/or brassing and finish loss. Glass may have marks, dust, anomalies and/or blemishes that should not affect picture quality." The glass is perfect on the lens I ordered, there's a tiny amount of dust in the lens (which was gonna get there anyway and doesn't matter), and there are some very, very, tiny, maybe 1/8th inch marks near the label. Mechanically it is perfect.

If you're buying any remotely well made piece of equipment, buy used. Here's a list of things I've bought used, almost all from KEH, in the past ten years: D300, D700, D800e, D1h, 20mm f/4 Ai-s (was BGN), 135mm f/2 (also BGN), the 80-200 2.8, 17-55 2.8 DX, and probably more that I'm forgetting. The only lens I've bought new I couldn't find on KEH, and I called them to ask if they had even ever had one (they hadn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I dunno if this fits here but,

I need a new computer. This one has a litany of issues in addition to not handling D800e files in LR and PS and resizing them to 60"x60" at 300dpi in Perfect Resize too well.

This is all about CPU power and disk access speed right? I also need a new monitor, as my 7 year old Cinema Display is starting to get dark streaks.

So: Can I buy a badass Dell or Toshiba monitor and then build a computer that just has crazy CPU power and call it good? And not spend a ton on a GPU or 64 GB of RAM or anything? I thought about just buying a new iMac but the price premium isn't worth it and I can get bigger, more accurate monitors for cheaper.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Mr. Despair posted:

Get a fast CPU, enough ram (I use 8 gigs, 16 would be better, but you don't need more than that), and an SSD. The SSD is probably going to be the most noticeable change you can make though, even if you get a small one to work on and then move the files onto a normal hard drive for long time storage.
That's super helpful. Thanks!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I've had this bookmarked for a while because it displays 99% of AdobeRGB color space and is generally awesome

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=225-4429

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I'm fine with spending a couple extra hundred for something just a bit better since I'm in a unique position right now and will be shooting with this camera or a medium format digital for quite a long time, so I'll take everything I can get to avoid having to spend more in the future.

These are great posts.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The more I mull it over, the more I wonder if I really need a monitor that displays all of the AdobeRGB gamut. There are so many variables between my monitor and the print being viewed anyway, there will always need to be test prints. I've been editing on a ACD that just barely pulls off sRGB for years now. Also, the monitor on which I may have to make tiny color adjustments is at the print shop anyway.

Anyone know about LED backlights screwing with color calibration hardware?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Reichstag, any thoughts on whether or not I should bother buying a wide gamut monitor or instead just a very good quality sRGB capable one? I seem to recall you do a lot of printing as well...? or was that brad

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

They're fine. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between Tiffen and B+W without being really, really, picky. If your images are never leaving a computer screen or magazine/newsprint, it won't matter.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I'm still learning, but I have found this to be a great source: http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I've essentially thrown a D700 and attached 50 1.4 across a concrete parking lot (bag was unzipped, slung it from a car onto my back) and they both had some scratches, no big deal though.

I've done something similar to a 70-200 2.8. Some damage to the filter ring, fixed with a pair of pliers. I rented a 200-400 once and was knocked into a brick wall, lens first. It was fine.

If you've bought any of the more, for lack of a better term, professional bodies or lenses, you should expect them to put up with a bit of abuse. They're tools, not toys. I wrap my D800e in a shirt and throw it in my pack. If it were ever damaged due to anything other than my falling off a cliff, I'd be yelling at someone on the phone until they fixed it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Verman posted:

Just came across this video as I got into work, and figured I would post it here for all those people who still feel the need to buy UV filters to protect their lenses. Take it with a grain of salt but glass seems a lot tougher to scratch and damage than most people think.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/08/video-torture-testing-the-front-element-of-canons-thrifty-fifty-50mm-f1-8-ii/
This is also really good advice. If you bought a cheap lens, why waste the money on a UV filter, one that is probably as cheaply made as your lens, and putting another layer of useless glass between you and your subject. If you bought a great lens, that front element is built like a tank and the same rule applies. That thin piece of glass will break easily and that WILL scratch your front element.

They're pointless.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I've never done it and I never would. Don't do it. It's just not worth it. Select your shots better, selectively delete, buy a smaller card, borrow one from a friend, anything.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I spent three weeks backpacking and used a total of 24GB of CF cards on a D800e. If you need 128GB of shooting on a DSLR you're doing something wrong

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Fair enough.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Well, I'm starting to think it is time to upgrade from my old Nikon D80 that I've had for a little over 6 years now. Been trying to decide between the D7000 and the D7100. Is the 7100 really leaps and bounds better than it's predecessor? And for someone who wants to make photography a career eventually, but for now just shoots freelance, is the 7000 or 7100 worth getting or should I save up a lot more and invest in a D600 or 800?

Also, where can I find a handy list of online shops to avoid? I always see sites like "Primotronix.com" selling camera bodies for 25%+ less than Amazon and other reputable stores, and can't help but think it's stuff that fell off a truck or a scam.
Buy used from KEH.com. Unless you have money to burn or demands/contracts/etc. that require new equipment, it's the best way to go. The only thing I've bought new in the last ten years was a lens that KEH didn't have and would likely never get.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

xzzy posted:

Now if only KEH would give their site a usable search function.

(someone had to bring it up)
if you're not averse to human interaction calling them works out great.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ExecuDork posted:

New question: who has taken their camera up to its shutter lifespan or beyond?
I ran a D1h into the ground with around 220,000 actuations. I think it was rated for 150k or something?

I would feel less comfortable with a more consumer grade body nearing its rated shutter lifetime. I've not done anything like that to any other camera I've owned.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Crosspost from the SH/SD thread about monitors, but I thought someone might find this helpful. I was looking for a new monitor and spent a long time doing a lot of research and talking to printers/artists and here's my result.

I'm an artist and do huge prints of photos that are displayed in nice galleries and cost a lot of money so things need to be Done Right. I was replacing an Apple Cinema Display. I looked a lot at monitors that displayed all of Adobe RGB and were still CCFL backlit and buying calibration equipment that was four figures and a FireGL card so I had a continuous 10-bit pipeline blah blah blah

What it came down to was no matter how perfectly accurate the color on my monitor was, when adding in the variables of paper and ink combinations, lighting, glazing, etc., that it didn't matter. 'Convential' monitors displaying 99% or whatever of sRGB were sufficient if the overall quality of the display was good. I will always having to tweak based upon what comes out of the printer, there will always be test prints.

So I bought a Viewsonic VP2770-LED and, because it was LED backlit I needed a new colorimeter, I bought an i1Display.

The two work together marvelously, and I'm very happy.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Not sure where to ask this:

It's been a while since I read about this, but what are the newest techniques/software for stitching images together? 16 images in a 4x4 square pattern, for example, creating huge images.

I used to also read about software for shooting several of the same frames, and software would pick out tiny differences to increase detail/resolution. It was never really advanced, though.

Anyone do these things?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Stacking images to increase resolution. I read a technical paper about it, maybe three years ago, but haven't looked for an implementation of it since.

I can do stitching with LR and PS, I just didn't know if there was some new hotness.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Dark room, long lens, shoot through a hole in a large black scrim, lights at 45 degrees (depending on any frame that cannot be removed and texture of object), lights covered with polarizing gels, and polarizing filter on your lens. Remove glass and frame of any artwork if possible.

Good strobes are necessary for color consistency, especially if you're photographing many objects, moreso if they're by the same artist.

Bigger objects will need lights stacked vertically and/or light modifiers.

It's easy to do poorly, hard to do it right.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

do people still shop at KEH? their prices look great, just checking that they haven't been bought out by private equity or something that's gonna make it unreliable

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

frogbs posted:

I think they did get bought a few years ago by someone?

Have you tried MPB? That’s where I’ve been getting used stuff recently. Prices seem to be lower than KEH, at least for the stuff I’ve been buying (Fuji lenses).
those prices do look good, ty

happy to hear any other feedback on KEH

i've only ever purchased used equipment and don't see that changing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Thanks for the info on keh/mpb

…I see someone thinking about a point and shoot. Don’t. Years ago I had an a6000 with the f/4 Zeiss zoom. Good setup for the size/weight, about as good as image quality as you can get with a lightweight zoom. Not always great at the long end, but workable.

I bought a canon g7x ii later(I think that’s the exact model??) thinking it would be just as good based on reviews and online samples. I did my own one to one comparison and was disappointed. Those smaller sensors and compact optics just aren’t the same.

Anyway that’s why I’m back here asking about retailers, because it’s time to get back to basics and buy a loving heavy prime and 35mm sensor. Should have never sold my d800e and the zeiss 21mm.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Some of my favorite landscape photos have been made, unfortunately, with a heavy rear end 70-200 2.8 lens

I hate it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I’d love to use the Sony 70-200 f4 but it’s not as sharp as the 2.8, and I barely think the 2.8 is good enough (granted I only have the first version, not the new II, but boy howdy that money)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

jesus christ dpreview used to be a good site but now all their reviews are videos with neckbeards, i'm not watching any of that

and why can't sony just put arca swiss plates on their zooms

:mad:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I hear you

Farting around with this a7riv, it’s what I’ve wanted forever. Scanned medium format quality in a FF body (if slightly noisy)

But one of the first things I did was setup one of the dial presets to spit out 24mp jpegs for cat pictures

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The broken glass of a UV filter is more likely to damage your lens than anything else

If your front element is going to get damaged by a fall or whatever, a UV filter won’t stop it

And I have backpacked a lot with camera gear

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Man, I am an advocate of carrying what it takes to get the job done but uh, hope you’re not hiking overnight or anything

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Bag it up if you're going to store it with other things. Probably not worth getting cleaned, but that's just a guess.

cool little camera, i don't remember those

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Thoren posted:

It's a nice little camera, almost as small as a Ricoh GR but a little heavier and without the one-handed operation. The build quality is great. It feels just like the older X100 designs.

I have a small dry box. I guess I'm just paranoid. Luckily the local Fuji service center just said cleaning would cost about $20-40.
that's a deal, amazing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Weird concentric ripples in the lens coating. Have to catch the light just right to see it. Just got this lens a few days ago.

Any idea what causes this? I have another lens (a Ukrainian Helios 81… generally something with a lot less fit, finish and quality assurance than a Mamiya 6 lens) with this same thing. Never noticed any observable effects from it, but what’s the deal with this? Seems to be present on the rear element as well.

it's hard to know if we're talking about the same thing

but... just on a hunch, use a piece of paper to cover up the stepped surface of the lens just outside of the glass. are you seeing an effect of reflection from that...?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

35mm til I die

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

MarcusSA posted:

I wasn’t sure if this thread or the cannon thread was the best place to ask but I’ll start here. I got sucked down into a YouTube black hole and I kinda want to buy a PowerShot G7 X Mark II.

I realize this camera is quite a few years old and people are still asking a premium price for it. It’s $559 on the cannon refurb site or $629 new. I have an iPhone 13 but I really want a point and shoot camera that gives me some zoom and takes good pictures.

A lot if videos say that the mark 2 is still relevant in 2023 so how bad of a buy would it really be? Every video I saw sung the praises of the camera.
i used to own one

very good for what it is. made some good photos with it. contrast falls at the long end, as expected, but sharpness is pretty good considering the package. if you're looking for that sort of camera, it's the one to beat.

absolutely better images than an iphone.

(i got rid of it because i wanted to make large prints again, which it can't quite handle)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah it looks weird, but there's so little development in the deluxe point and shoot (or whatever you'd call that type of camera) that older models hang around. especially since the G7's resolution is still sorta standard for smaller cameras.

i sold mine to a camera reseller for $400, which really surprised me

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i used nikon equipment for a decade+ professionally, then sold it all and used a canon G7XMII for a few years (just shooting landscapes)

i bought my first mirrorless last summer and heavily weighed Nikon's Z stuff, but yeah, it all felt very overpriced and with their lockdown on the mount, i didn't feel very reassured going forward. especially given Nikon's recent history of product schizophrenia

went e-mount, been pretty satisfied.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Ken Rockwell is one of the internet’s longest lived trolls

He is an artist

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

not surprised, the website operated as an extension of amazon's advertising department since it was purchased. the reviews are much shorter, and more videos that no one asked for

oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i used to use white house when i would order prints. that was nearly ten years ago, but they were good, and would do proofing on various papers