Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Hi everybody!

I am looking to get a decent camera and a lens or two (would consider second hand from reputable dealers). I don't want this gear to be a limiting factor but I can't justify the big bucks at the moment.

What you are looking to buy - Any brand (4/3rds and up) and a wide angle lens. A portrait lens, perhaps later if not in my current budget.

Budget - £1000 (can go a bit higher).

Your photo gear you already have - iPhone 7, no really.

What you plan on using your purchase for - Scapes, Street, Portraits and perhaps Nature later on. No video.

What you find limiting about what you have now - Nothing, returning to photography since my OM2 days. Oh and a D70 more recently.

I would appreciate any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the feedback, I am looking at an XT3 tomorrow in "very good condition" at £699 and there is a new 16mm f2.8 at Jessops for £329. I have a couple of Nikon zooms they should buy, bringing down the price of XT3 by enough to bring the lot to just under £1000!

MBP have the Sony A7Rii at £919 in "Excellent" condition but I think with a lens that will be way over my budget.

I like the small and light option with the XT3 so I am not likely to go the DSLR route.

Anyway I will let you know how I get on and thanks again.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Update:

Bought the XT3 (came with a smallrig but I had to buy an SD card) and 16mm f2.8 for just under £1k after a discount for my old Nikon lenses. I haven't had time to do much more than watch youtube videos and play around with the settings but will spend this weekend taking pictures.

Any recomendations for videos and other resources?

Are there any decent 3rd party batteries out there?

Thanks for the push towards the XT3, very impressed with the build quality and love the dials.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Can I use a powerbank with the usb c connector to charge the battery or even run the camera directly?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Careful with voltage though, you can definitely fry a camera with that.

Yeah, I think I'll give that a swerve.

Just downloaded firmware v5.0 and saw there's a FUJIFILM XApp for X/GFX cameras. I just downloaded it (on iphone and android tablet) and it seems a lot easier to use with wireless connections. It connects straight away where the old one was very fussy for me, sometines not connecting at all.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I'm in the uk. I got it from the app store and google play.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

wolfs posted:

I have a pawn shop find xpro 1 that’s sort of fun - I saw today viltrox has a line of f1.4 x mount lenses, with some retailing for ~$300. That’s micro four thirds kinda money! Do any of them stick out as extra nice?

That nicer fujifilm app might inspire me to purchase a compatible body and one of those instax printers…

I noticed this in the XT3 Owners Manual (page 268) and the Ver.5.00 New Features Guide (page 37).

"instax SHARE printers
SP-1/SP-2/SP-3: Connect via wireless LAN to print pictures on instax film."

I thought there was only one fuji x system camera that can print to instax film. Does this mean the XT3 can print as well? If so can I print to other instax printers?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I have an XT3 and would like to be able to recharge it's NP-W126 & NP-W126S Batteries seperately from the camera uaing a USB dual charger and a fast charge powerbank while out and about. I would also prefer it if the batteries lay flat in the charger like in the mains charger that came with the camera.

If the powerbank had power deilvery that might come in handy later but for now I don't want to tether the camera.

Any suggestions?

BTW I am in the UK and would ideally like to move on this tomorrow as my prime free trial is about to expire.

Thanks.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 2, 2023

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Usefull info, thanks all.

Has anyone heard of Homesuit?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Most of these are all the same generic Chinese made Li-ion packs with different labels on them.

Yes, I just thought someone might know if this was a decent Chinese brand (if they exist).

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I need to replace my ancient 8 litre backpack and would like to get something with a similar capacity also without dividers. I have a small crumpler bag that I put in to protect my XT3.

Are there any with pouches on the front straps for a few small lenses, batteries etc? If not are there add ons preferably with multiple pockets/pouches available?

I'm sure I could rig my own system with individual lens pouches but would prefer something pre built.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Looking for advice on variable ND filters and LED lights for still photography.

I am hoping to use the filters for some movement blur experiments and would appreciate recomendations at the low cost end.

The LED light should be light and small and illuminate outdoors at close range.

I've seen neewer has some good prices for both, any other suggestions?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Just read this Minolta RF Rokkor-X 250mm f/5.6 article and got to thinking about older (70's to 80's) reflex lenses in general.

In the articles conclusion they state "There are better 250mm lenses on the market", do they mean contemporary or modern?

What were the best reflexes back then, I seem to remember the zuiko 500mm getting a lot of praise.

It goes on to say - "As well as a 62mm filter thread" & "there is also rear filter with a thread of a 39mm that can be used for ND filters e.g. (Originally it comes with Minolta Neutral filter in place)". Is there a reason other than price that you would use a rear nd filter?

I also wonder if any of these came with built-in nd filters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the info!

Father O'Blivion posted:

The reason for wanting to use an ND or color contrast filter is that the lens has a fixed aperture of f/5.6. If you're shooting film (which you would be on one of the old lenses) you're stuck with only shutter speed to vary the exposure. One would typically want the fastest shutter available with a long lens which in turn will limit the variety of appropriate films and shooting conditions. It is less of a concern on a digital body with variable ISO.

I was really just curious about the placement of the nd fiter at the rear, I thought a smaller filter being cheaper might be the reason. It just seems very inconvenient to take the lens off to mount a different nd filter as lighting conditions change.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 19, 2024