Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looking for options for a camera that gets me a step or two above what I can do with a smartphone. The youtube algorithm pushed me towards the X100V but I don't want to pay a scalper and I also would like to be able to swap lenses. I think basically something on the smaller side that I can use for travel, street photography, some videography, dog pics, taking pics of birds and mushrooms at the cottage, etc. Ideally would be able to double as a webcam. I've had DSLRs in the past but the bulkiness kept me from taking them many places. Seems like nowadays there's smaller cameras that are pretty drat good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just want something budget friendly that does everything I want it to perfectly with no compromises, is that so much to ask? also it should look cool

edit: but realistically i think i'm probably leaning more towards going mirrorless size to keep the interchangeable lenses vs. going all the way down to compact size

prom candy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 9, 2024

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
x-t30 and a6700 both look pretty great. i love the fuji stuff and I also want something that my wife is going to want to shoot with too and she loves all that retro stuff since she was a big dark room nerd in high school. the x-t30 also looks smaller than the the a6700 and i like the way the screen tilts for shooting from the hip. on the other hand i do want to shoot video too and the a6700 seems like a way better choice for that, watching some examples between the two the a6700 just seems way better suited for the job. really the two biggest downsides i can see with the a6700 are i don't think i like how the screen flips out (but i've never owned a camera where the screen flips out so i have no idea) and it's new and more expensive.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

hope and vaseline posted:

the a6700 has ibis also which would be a huge advantage over the x-t30

on the other hand it is a $500 price premium over the x-t30

yes but like a -$1200 price premium if i buy the x-t30 and then later buy the a6700 because i decide i made the wrong choice.

which of course begs the question why don't i have any cheap hobbies

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on an a6700 but not sure what lens to buy. For an extra $100 I can get it with the 16-50mm kit lens but the 3.5-5.6 aperture doesn't excite me. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 seems like it would be very versatile. There's also something like the samyang 35mm f2.8. I want to do a lot of different types of shooting with this. Probably lots of dog portraits but also street, people portraits, maybe some (rec) sports, macro, and also some videography. Would love to shoot wildlife too but I know that'll require a separate lens that I'm not going to want as my first lens.