Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Speaking of grips, I'm looking to buy one for my T2i but I don't want to pay $220 for the Canon version. Can anyone recommend a decent, 3rd-party, chinese knock-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Alright, so I'm still a hobby photographer but my current "zoom" lens (an EF 75-300mm USM III non IS) is just terrible for well, basically anything. I'm looking into finally getting some of that sweet, sweet "L" glass but I wanted to know if there was anything else comparable to it in the 3rd party sector first? I'm really leaning towards a Canon 70-200mm f/4L but before I drop a fairly decent amount of cash, I wanted to get a consensus. Also, if I do go with the Canon 70-200mm, is the IS really worth the extra money?

I would also consider possibly going to 300mm as well but after looking back at most of the photos, very few are over 200mm.

Right now, I have:
-Canon T2i (so APS-C crop)
-Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
-a few nice, quick primes: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and Canon 50mm f/1.8
-2 crappy zoom lenses: (the 75-300mm) and an EF 80-200mm($200 price point).

I'm really just looking for something I can use outside in the day which I'm guessing the f/4 should be fine for. Lemme just give a real example of exactly what I'd be using it for. The other week I was on vacation and my niece and nephew were running around outside at the park kicking a ball around. Then, a few days later, I was at the zoo trying to photograph animals. Then we were at the beach and I was photographing the family and some surfing. Occasionally, I like to spot aircraft as well. Also, since I work in live sound, I'm at a bunch of concerts and festivals and it would also be nice to have some "reach" to the stage. These are a bit more tricky and I can see where having f/2.8 would come in handy when they're occurring later in the day or even large, indoor arenas and theaters. This is really last on the list of priorities as all too often, I'm just plain busy, lazy or don't want to haul expensive camera gear for it to get lost, stolen or broken.

I'd really like to keep this all under $1000. $500-$700 would be ideal.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 4, 2012

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Purchased a slightly used (practically new) Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS and after 1 hour of owning it, I'm already in love :swoon:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
So, I'm going to be going out to Burning Man this year and I'd like to take my 60D and lenses. What would be the best way to protect all of this gear from ever-present playa dust that seems to find its way into everything? The only glass I have with weather-sealing is my 70-200mm f/4 L and even then, I'm not convinced that it'll be 100% protected.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, I was thinking of not bringing my real camera gear at all. I have a few older point and shoots that I'm willing to let be potentially destroyed so I'll just do that instead.